Search for content in message boards

The DUNNACHIE's from Maybole, Ayrshire.

The DUNNACHIE's from Maybole, Ayrshire.

Kirsten Edwards (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DUNNACHIE, NICHOLSON
I am looking for information on the DUNNACHIE family who are shown living in Maybole in the 1891 Census. There is no trace of them anywhere before this time:

William DUNNACHIE, age 46
Mary DUNNACHIE, age 45
William DUNNACHIE, age 23
Edward DUNNACHIE, age 20
Matthew DUNNACHIE, age 17
George DUNNACHIE, age 15
Martha DUNNACHIE, age 12
Maggie DUNNACHIE, age 1.

William DUNNACHIE, the father, died later that same year in Maybole, age 47.

Matthew DUNNACHIE later became a leaded glass worker and married Marion NICHOLSON prior to WW1. One of their daughters, Margaret Jane DUNNACHIE, born in Springburn, Glasgow in 1914, is my paternal grandmother.

Any information or leads are welcome.

family info 2

peter dunnachie (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
I just thought also that my father's best friend was Willy Cuthbert, who was a Provost of Maybole - I think he is still alive, my sisters visited Willy and his wife Kay. He may well have some rememberances of the family - they used to play around Culzean Castle, Dad had stories of caves down there where smugglers used to land.
Will see what more information i can record

family information

peter dunnachie (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
I am Peter Dunnachie, 4th child of William Dunnachie & Vera Selena Gwendoline [nee Floyd].
My parents met on board ship coming out to New Zealand in 1948. My father was from Maybole.
My father's mother I thought was a Margaret Dunnachie, but not Maggie I think, as I know there was another Maggie who was close to my grandmother. The earliest recollection I have they had lived in Weaver Vennell where I remember writing to her as a child. My father who died about 15? years ago talked of having lived in John Knox Street in a flat with a 'hole in the wall' for a bed. My mother was more a source of information about my father's family - he was an only child, and told us the story that his father died when he was born, but my mother later told us that he was illegitimate so did not acknowledge his father. The Dunnachie's were apparently socially prominent and Baptist. My grandmother fell for the charms of a visiting doctor/locum who was an Irish Catholic. The family did not approve of the match, but my grandmother fell pregnant - my impression was that she was still young - and the family closed ranks and my grandfather was sent back to Ireland and my grandmother had the child and lived in the family.
My father must ahve been born in about 1908 or 1912. My mother is still very articulate and a great correspondent. I talk to her when I can, but it may be worthwhile for you to make contact with her
Vera Dunnachie, 9 Taieri Crescent, Kelston, Lower Hutt, New Zealand. She doesn't use the internet.

Maybole Scotland

Posted: 15 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: Peden, McCance, Galloway, McClymont
I know nothing about your family, but my Mom was born and raised on John Knox street in Maybole, Scotland. She too played with all her cousins around Culzean Castle and talked about the caves where they use to play. She was a Margaret McCance born in 1898 in Maybole . Left there for Canada in 1915 with all of her family. Margaret Harding Davis

Re: The DUNNACHIE's from Maybole, Ayrshire.

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 9:02AM GMT
Hi
I know this is an old post but I have just joined Ancestry . I am Edward Dunnachies b 1871's g grand daughter.
May Fletcher

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 8:15PM GMT
Kirsten I think we might be related ...please contact me

thanks Elaine

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 8:30PM GMT
Kirsten please contact me

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 4:35PM GMT
This Donechy etc family is clearly seen on the 1841 ,1851 & 1881 Census, although Wm has a 1st wife Sarah age 37 and a first(?) son James. William was son of Edward who is also on the 1881 Census with his wife.

Census Place: Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203605 GRO Ref Volume 605 EnumDist 5 Page 16
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
William DUNNACHIE M 39 M Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Fireman
Sarah DUNNACHIE M 37 F Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Rel: Wife
James DUNNACHIE U 16 M Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Shoemaker
William DUNNACHIE 14 M Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Occ: Shoemaker
Edward DUNNACHIE 12 M Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Occ: Scholar
Matthew DUNNACHIE 9 M Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
George DUNNACHIE 6 M Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Martha DUNNACHIE 3 F Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Rel: Dar
Sarah DUNNACHIE 6 m F Maybole, Ayr, Scotland
Rel: Dar

Piece: SCT1841/605 Place: Maybole -Ayrshire Enumeration District: 5
Civil Parish: Maybole Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island:
Folio: 0 Page: 12
Address: Welltrees Square

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
DONECHY Edward M 35 Cotton Handloom Weaver Ireland
DONECHY Agness F 35 (Wife) Ayrshire
DONECHY James M 15 Cotton Handloom Weaver, Appren Ayrshire
DONECHY Edward M 12 Cotton Handloom Weaver, Appren Ayrshire
DONECHY Ann F 9 Ayrshire
Page: 0/13 DONECHY Margaret F 4 Ayrshire
DONECHY William M 1 Ayrshire
DONECHY Edward M 60 Cotton Handloom Weaver, Jrnymn Ireland
BURGES Joseph M 20 Cotton Handloom Weaver, Jrnymn Outside Census County (1841

per page

Find a board about a specific topic