Search for content in message boards

Thomas J.Walsh and Bridget Wimsey Walsh County Sligo,Ireland

Thomas J.Walsh and Bridget Wimsey Walsh County Sligo,Ireland

Posted: 26 Mar 2010 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Walsh,Wimsey,Scanlon
My grandfather,Patrick Joseph Walsh was born in County Sligo in(maybe May 14 or April22)1883. His parents were Thomas J.Walsh and Bridget Wimsey.Patrick came to the USA sometime around 1900-1906. He married Catherine Scanlon. Catherine was born in Ireland in about 1880. I don't know where in Ireland Catherine was born. Catherine's nickname was Tillie.Patrick and Catherine lived in Salem,Ma
Patrick died in 1970 in Salem, MA. Catherine died in Salem, MA in 1961. I was wondering if a birth certificate or any other info could be found on my ancestors. I would love to find out more about my family.
Thank you!
Karen Lynch

Re: Thomas J.Walsh and Bridget Wimsey Walsh County Sligo,Ireland

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 3:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
How are you Karen
My name is Colin Synan I am a Sligo based Genealogist,there is a chance of obtaining a birth certificate,if the children were registered,as 70 percent of people were,at that time. In the 1901 census I found Tom aged 48 and Bridgit 38 with children Pat 18 other children are Mary Ellen, Micheal, Annie, Thomas, Sarah, Katie, and Luke,in the Killmactiege area of Sligo.
Send me an e-mail clanresearch@yahoo.com when I will send to you the census return and see if I can get a birth certificate for Patrick,all the best Colin

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 4:41PM GMT
Surnames: Walsh/Wimsey/Scanlon
Thank you very much for your information. I am so excited to find out more about my family. How can I find out about all these relatives? I appreciate any help you can give me!!!
Please keep in contact.
Karen

Posted: 1 Sep 2011 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Wimsey, Cunningham, Boyle
My great grandmother, Anna Wimsey (ca. 1849-1902), and her older sister Mary (ca. 1846-1907) arrived in America around 1862. According to Anna’s obituary, she was born in County Sligo and emigrated to America at age 11. Both lived in Springfield Illinois until their deaths. Both were Catholic. Mary married Michael Boyle; Anna married Cormac Cunningham. There is no record that I can find that identifies anyone with whom these two young girls would have traveled to the U S nor any information that they were in contact with other Wimsey families in America or in Ireland. If they ever told their children about their origins, none of them bothered to write it down or, for that matter, ever spoke of it.
I would be interested in any information that would connect this family to the Wimsey family tree.

Posted: 2 Sep 2011 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: Wimsey Walsh
Hi,
I don't have very much info on the Wimsey family. This is what I have:
My great grandfather was Thomas Joseph Walsh(1857) and he married Bridget Wimsey in 1882 in Tubbercurry Co Sligo. The marriage was witnessed by Edel Brennan and Catherine Brett. Bridget's father is listed as Peter. Thomas' father is listed as Michael.
I hope for more info someday. Do you have connections to this info?

Posted: 2 Sep 2011 4:13PM GMT
I found the Walsh/Wimsey record several years ago, but the marriage occurred years after my ggrandmother left Ireland and I saw no way to connect the two events except that they both were from Sligo. Most Wimseys of that spelling seem to live in/near there. I have been looking for a long time, but don't have much data from my own family from which to link them to anyone else. Even the given names aren't really much alike in the two families. Thanks for responding. I keep looking.

Posted: 2 Sep 2011 11:41PM GMT
Best of luck!

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 3:32AM GMT
My grandfather was Thomas Francis Wimsey, also from Sligo. My aunt, Elizabeth Wimsey is 86 years old. It sounds like Bridgett was my grandfathers first cousin. claresligo @ gmail

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 1:29PM GMT
WOW! I am so excited to make a connection! Do you or your aunt have any info on Bridget and her family?
Do you know her parents' names?
Did she die young,divorce or move to America?
Any info would be so helpful!
Any relatives still in Ireland?
I live in Peabody MA.
Thank you for contacting me!!
Karen Lynch

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 6:24AM GMT
My e-mail id down. Just wanted to let you know rthat my aunt's cousin in Ireland is looking for records of the Wimsey family.
I will keep you posted. Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic