Search for content in message boards

Stanley/Carroll family in Northern Tipperary

Stanley/Carroll family in Northern Tipperary

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stanley, Carroll
I am looking for information on John Stanley (father William and mother Mary Hogan) who married Jane Carroll around 1842 in Tipperary. Jane was from Annagh, Loorha. The marriage could have been in the Loorha church or a chapel which I believe was in Annagh. They lived with their family in Ballyquirke. The Stanley family may have been from Borrisokane area though I am not sure. Thank you for any help. Mary Jo

Re: Stanley/Carroll family in Northern Tipperary

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 10:41AM GMT
Dear Mary Jo

according to the North Tipperary records on RootsIreland there is a marriage in Lorrha RC parish between Jane Carroll and John Stanley in 1842.

If John was indeed from Borrisokane, the RC records only start in 1821 and his baptism is likely to have taken place before then so you probably would not find the baptism.
In fact there are no baptism in the database for children born with parents William and Mary Hogan.

If John Stanley was not from the parish, it is possible that the original record would mention his parish of origin. You should look it up.

Cecile Mulcahy

Re: Stanley/Carroll family in Northern Tipperary

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 12:19AM GMT
Dear Cecile,
Thank you for your response. I had found the 1842 marriage of John Stanley and Jane Carroll. If the records start in 1821 perhaps I can find the death of his parents William and Mary (Hogan) Stanley after 1821? Sadly, I was hoping to find siblings of William as well as parents, But you never know. Some obscure record may survive. Property transfers, personal memoirs. You never know. I keep digging. You say if John was not from the parish we may find something. I just don't know where to start. Likely Tipperary but there are many Stanleys in Lower Ormond. Some Lords, many Protestants and some Roman Catholics and many with the common names of William and John. I just know there is a story here with this combination. We shall see. Thank you again for your response. Mary Jo O'Rourke (From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the US)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic