Search for content in message boards

Struggeling to locate John and Johanna Cleary

Struggeling to locate John and Johanna Cleary

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 12:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cleary
Hi, i am really struggling to get anywhere with my husbands family (Cleary), There is Bernard Cleary born 1903 in Thurles, Ireland. i have his birth certificate and that says his mother was Johanna Barrett and father John Cleary a gardener.

The family say that John and Johanna had about 9 children, 3 of the boys were in the IRA and were killed under the age of 20, plus they remember a Kate and Alice. but nobody can remember of the others.

I am told that after the first world war John and Johanna moved to america alone.
Johanna was also blinde.

I am having really trouble finding any BMD or anything to be honest for john and Johanna. i have found BMD for Bernard but for some reason he is not on any census records.

Bernard married Annie Barbara Woods in 1933 London.

Please can somebody help me out here,
tinamalpas@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Struggeling to locate John and Johanna Cleary

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 7:24PM GMT
This looks like the family in the 1911 Irish census in Thurles town
Link
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/T...
11 Children born and 7 alive in 1911.
According to the census John and Johanna were married c. 1871 and you probably will be able to find their marriage references on the Irish civil registration index at Family search or if you are subscribed to Ancestry it would be an easier search.Per census Johanna states she was born in Cashel so perhaps the marriage took place in Cashel.
I would also search Ellisisland.org for any of the family that may have emigrated after 1911 possibly more likely in the 1920's as you mentioned the War of Independence.
Good Luck
annclare

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 7:42PM GMT
Sorry miscalculated marriage for John and Johanna c. 1881
annclare

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 8:03AM GMT
Thank you ever so much for that. I wish i had asked that a few months ago now. I did not realise that Irish records are much harder to find but now i have a starting point. Thank you

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 8:27AM GMT
Surnames: Cleary
Do you no of any other websites to find the marriage? I have searched ancestry and family search and it dosnt appear to be there. many thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions