Search for content in message boards

Help with finding Marriage record for cleary.

Help with finding Marriage record for cleary.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 7:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cleary
Hi, i have done a few trees but seem to be really struggling with my Cleary tree. I have a John Cleary 1861 Thurles, Ireland. I know that his wives name was Johanna Barrett from cashel Ireland 1863. In 1911 they had 11 born children and 7 of these were living. 6 of them were on the census record in 1911.
I found a possible 1901 census record but John and 1 of there children, Alice 1898 don't appear to be on it, i have searched for them and again, i have got nowhere.

I have one of there sons birth and marriage certificate because they are my husbands family.

Please could somebody help me out with giving my tree a kick start, i have been searching for months now and only found the 1911 census on a Irish national archives.

I am in need of a marriage record for john and Johanna or John's birth record. or perhaps year of death for either.
Although i have the birth year of john, i can not find his birth record on ancestry. If i can locate that then i can buy his birth certificate and that should help me a lot. I would be great full of any advice as to wear i can find some information for the Irish.

Many Thanks

Re: Help with finding Marriage record for cleary.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 3:31PM GMT
Tipperary North Riding and South Riding have separate genealogy records on line with a not for profit but fee paying website: www.rootsireland.ie

If you have both parents names you should be able to find a birth certificate available from: www.groireland.ie

I thought perhaps Alice would be at someone else's house in 1901 but doesn't appear to be an Alice of the right age listed as a visitor. She certainly didn't pass away as she appears in 1911. There are other possibilities such as being put in an orphanage temporarily if the family was in dire straits. Perhaps she was out of the house at the time of her families census but not when the family she visited
when their census was done. A census take couldn't be everywhere at once. Its hard to say why.

The census substitute Griffith Valuation took place in Tipperary in 1852 probaby the parents of your parents!

Ancestry's Irish collection is limited although better than it used to be.

As the births are after 1864 you should be able to find the civil registration free on www.familysearch.org but not always are the parents listed with the children.

I might be able to find Johanna Barrett's 1863 parents as long as she wasn't the youngest in 1864. I have births
on CD from 1864-1875 only. The letter C no longer works.

Annette Code

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 2:11PM GMT
Thank you so much for the help, I will search them websites and if you can find Johannas parents that would be fantastic. Do you no how I could find johns parents? Is there a cd or something that I could buy? Many thanks

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 2:35PM GMT
The CD was once produced by the Latter Day Saints but has
been replaced by their website www.familysearch.org
Often though online the parents names seem to have been dropped. The Heritage Centers in our communities are free to use if microfilm is in stock.

The Parish records are pretty much the only resource.

Annette

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 3:11AM GMT
1865 is the first Barrett birth on the CD but its Caher not Cashel, the parents were Patrick & Catherine Fitzgerald and their son was Thomas.

Cashel, in 1867, a son for John Barrett & Catherine Brien are no more children listed, so he could of been their last child as there are no more to 1875 for this couple.

Caher 1866 Ellen a daughter for John Barrett & Mary Henessy
others Mary, John, Thomas after Ellen

Not much luck with Cleary's as the CD - Letter C for births no longer works.

All the marriages between 1845-1862 were girls! these are all Church of Ireland.

Do you know who John's siblings were? There are quite a few children with births registered at Thurles, Mary, Timothy, Patrick! NO PARENTS NAMES.

I wished I had copied the CD's when they were new so I could replace the ones that were defective.

John & Johanna's father's name should be on their marriage certificate

I did look for a marriage found one for each name in Cashel (her parish/district) but the numbers aren't quite the same
July-Sept 1880 Vol.3 Pg. 360 #4179386
July-Sept 1880 Vol.3 Pg. 300 same

Annette

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT
Thank you, I really do appreciate your help. I have no idea of John Clearys siblings names but i will try and find out if anybody in the family can remember anything at all.

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT
I will also order the marriage certificate to get the names.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 1:49PM GMT
I think it would be well worth the $ to have the certificate as its available. I'm sure it will help.
Good luck.
Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic