Search for content in message boards

William Heffernan and Sarah Murray Victoria Australia

William Heffernan and Sarah Murray Victoria Australia

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 7:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Heffernan/ Ryan/ Murray
Good afternoon
I am researching the family of William Heffernan and Sarah Ryan both of whom died in 1872. I am particularly interested in any information on their son William. He MAY have married Sarah Murray.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Virginia

Re: William Heffernan and Sarah Murray Victoria Australia

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 2:24PM GMT
Any idea on when they immigrated or where in Tipperary?
How old at death?

These are only possibilities:

Tipperary is divided into North Riding and South Riding:

The closest time for any records to 1872 are the Griffith Valuations for Tipperary which took place 1851.
www.askaboutireland.ie

North Tipperary:

William Heffernan, Parish of Glenkeen, Townland Gortaniddan, Poor Law Union Thurles,tenant of
Thomas Burke,Esq.
#5 house and land 0 acres 2 roods and 29 perches

William Heffernan, Parish Twomileborris, Townland Ballydavid,Poor Law Union Thurles, tenant of John Russell
#7 Puddle Street, house and garden 0.1.27

You can use www.failteromhat.com to find common Parishes' for the Ryan's & Murray's. A much simpler version of
Griffith Valuation.

The Tithe Applotments 1820-1839 are an earlier tax on land used now as a census substitute. www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie
There are 127 occupiers of land, there is probably less than that as often people would rent/lease more land but since this is an incomplete Tithe record, just parish and townland you can't tell how many houses. A family can only live in one. The dates for Tipperary are from 1823 by the look of things. You can also look up the Ryan (hundreds I'm sure)and Murray's.

If the above are correct then Thurles RC records commenced in 1795. These records are available on an Irish History Foundation, not for profit but fee based. This is pretty much the only way to find Parish records prior to 1864.
www.rootsireland.ie

After 1864 civil records are also on www.familysearch.org
You can also look at their Irish collection, same webpage but scroll down the left side till you get to UK & Ireland,
click and down again to Ireland (7) and click on that
and enter names.

There are Thurles in the telephone book for Tipperary including 8 in and around Thurles.

Annette Code

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 7:51PM GMT
Surnames: Heffernan/ Ryan
Hi Annette
Thank you for your assistance. It is much appreciated.
Probably Clonoulty Co Tipperary and probably on the "William Metcalfe" in 1839.
Cheers
Virginia

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 11:46PM GMT
You are welcome, his first son if not William will be called after his father.

Clonoulty was both a Parish and a townland and could be in either Cashel & Tipperary Poor Law Union.

The Tithe Applotments don't show any Heffernan's in 1822-1839 in Parish Cloulty but if William was living at home until he left he won't show up himself. Father's divided up their holdings between the sons till they got so small it made things difficult or the children took up occupany elsewhere and even possibily out of the Parish. I don't think it is a matter of the eldest son getting the inheritance as none of the land was owned by the occupier and I think that was for wealthy families. Usually if the man who leased the land died his widow would ask the landlord permission to take over the lease and put it in her name and that is about the only time you see women's name on a lease.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions