Search for content in message boards

McKinstry

Posted: 15 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Mar 2005 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: McKinstry
I am serching for the names of William McKinstry's ancestors. He was born in Carrickfergus Ireland, in 1723 0r 25. He came to America in 1742, landing in Boston MA.

William McKinstry

Bob Bohman (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McKinstry
Saw your query on the N.Ireland Genweb about William McKinstry. I am descended from a James McKinstry, b.1722, probably in Cumberland Cy., PA. I'm picking up the search started by my Dad. Dad said that the family lore, never substantiated, was that the family came from Carrickfergus.
It was said that prior to that, the family lived somewhere in the Kirkudbright area of western Scotland.

I'd be interested in what you know of the line. My own lineage is from James (b.1722), married to Sarah Huston; Alexander Huston McKinstry (b.1770), married to Sarah McDonald.....down to my great-grandmother, Anna Catherine McKinstry, who married John Lomasson Vroom. I have some additional information if interested.

Re: McKinstry

Susan Perong (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2002 8:19AM GMT
My ancestor Roger McKinstry was born about that same time and may have been William's brother or cousin. Roger also lived in Carrick Fergus and had three sons. Rodney who moved to Penn (Huntington County) and married Margaret McCammon. Samuel who remained in Carrick Fergus and married Esther Gordon, and had a daughter Esther McKinstry who died in 1885. Roger also may have had a son Alexander according to some sources. Roger was probably a grandson of Roger McKinstry Sr. who came from Scotland to Northern Ireland in 1669 and had two known sons John and Robert. Roger was a Presbyterian and left Scotland due to the conflict between the Presbyterians and the Church of England.

I think it likely that he had other sons perhaps Alexander, Samuel and possibly James. Robert moved to Armagh. The McKinstry's were active in Northern Ireland in political matters and left due to persecution. Many came as single men and married in America. I have been trying to put them together, would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Re: William McKinstry

Posted: 2 Mar 2002 8:29AM GMT
Is the James you are referring to the son of Alexander McKinstry born in 1708 who married Mary Samuels or was there another James perhaps brother to Alexander?? My ancestor Roger McKinstry was born about 1724 and he lived and died in Carrick Fergus. He had a son Rodney who moved to Penn and a son Samuel who remained in Carrickfergus. This Samuel had a daughter Esther who left money to the family in America upon her death in 1885. I would like to obtain this probate record, if I can find out how to get it from Northern Ireland. Would anyone know how?

Bob Bohman (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2002 5:28PM GMT
Susan - Yes, and no. My ancestor James (1733) was a son of Alexander(1708), who was married to Mary Samuels. I show only 3 siblings of Alexander (1708)...Samuel (1705), Eleanor (1710) and Nathan (1712). Almost no information on Alexander's father. My lineage is doubly complicated because I am descended from Alexander (1708) via his son James (1733)...as well as from his son Alexander (1738). My great grandmother Anna Catherine McKinstry was married to a cousin, Alexander Huston McKinstry.

I am aware of Roger, but have no idea of his possible relationship, if any, with Alexander (1708). I have had no luck with Antrim County on chasing Alexander's lineage, or the link to Scotland. Sorry, I have no information on probate records for Northern Ireland. I suspect, though, that you might contact the counties (like Antrim) directly with that inquiry, for openers.

Hope this helps.

Bob Bohman
Joliet, MT

Posted: 3 Mar 2002 5:05AM GMT
Surnames: McKinstry, McCammon, Gordon
I know that Nathan and Elinor are mentioned in the McKinstry bit on Nathan from Bucks County but how did you connect Nathan, Samuel with Alexander? Also Samuel, did he remain in Northern Ireland or did he also move to America? I have seen information on the Internet that Nathan's father was Robert McKinstry son of Roger, but this contradicts other information and I do not know where the source of this infomation came from. Have you located any census records, will or probate records indicating that Alexander, Samuel, and Nathan are related?

I tried to hire a researcher from Belfast but he was very contentous and rude. Apparently America bashing is quite common and considered proper manners among some Irish geneologists. Have you tried hiring anyone from Northern Ireland? Perhaps I shouldn't judge them all from one bad experience but I am really hesitant to try again and I have heard from people who have visited Great Britain that they and much of Europe are hostile and rude to Americans. Sure doesn't make me want to go there.

Bob Bohman (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2002 1:12AM GMT
Susan - Sorry, I don't have any information on Nathan or Samuel. I have seen information on Roger, but at this point, no known connection with Alexander...just circumstance.

Sorry about your bad experience in Europe. I would not categorically condemn, based on my experience. I had some very kindly treatment from Sweden and later Austria...including a lady in Sweden who gave our family a milk pitcher which my great-great-grandmother gave to her grandmother before 1900.

Bob Bohman
Joliet, MT

Posted: 5 Mar 2002 6:57AM GMT
The family of Nathan is well documented in a bit on Nathan McKinstry done by the Buck County Gen. Society I believe, It is available at the family history center. It mentions Nathan and sister Elinor but focus only on his one son Robert's descendants. It also indicates that a younger Samuel was also living there and names him a younger brother, but I think this Samuel was likely a nephew.

I was wondering who put Nathan Samuel and Alexander together? I think they are likely at least cousins but I was wondering how one knew they were brothers. I think I remember seeing an Alexander and Samuel in early census records in Penn, but this would not have produced a date of birth. Do you remember your source? Thanks.

Posted: 31 Dec 2009 2:00AM GMT
My father was Harold Kenneth McKinstry son of Leslie and Cevilla McKinstry. He was born in Coffeeville Kansas 1902 or 03 My daughter's research reveals that we are decendents of William McKinstry born in 1723 Carrickfergus Ireland of Scotch descent.

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 3:15PM GMT
I have correction and update on the family of Samuel McKinstry born about 1780 in either Carrickfergus or what is now Whitehead. Samuel married Jane Hill and his father was Roger McKinstry mother Esther Gordon. He named his only daughter Esther after his mother. She died and left money to her cousins in America including my ancestor Samuel McKinstry son of Samuel McKinstry who was son of Rodney McKinstry born about 1775 or so. Rodney was likely brother to Samuel McKinstry, Esther's McKinstry's father and son of Roger McKinstry and ESther Gordon.

It is believed that Rodney fought in the 1798 Rebellion and had to leave suddenly. He reportedly hid in a barrel on a ship. His father also died in 1798 and it is not known what occurred may have encouraged his participation.

Rodney had a brother Alexander McKinstry born likely in the late 1770s that may have relocated to America in the early 1800s as well. Youngest brother Samuel apparently purchased a farm in what is now Whitehead (or inherited it) and lived quietly. Gordon family members were living in the area and they were involved with kelp harvesting. Samuel married into an old family that had lived in the area for a long time - Hill.

Only one of his children survived, Esther and in 1885 she died leaving an inheritance to the Presbyterian church and her cousins in America all Rodney's descendants. Alexander's children were not included nor were the children of any female descendants. This was reportedly the last of the immediate line, meaning children of Roger McKinstry and Esther Gordon although there may have been female descendants as we really are not certain.

I would love to know more of the story on this family and the life of this Esther McKinstry. Esther survived the potato famine but likely saw horrible suffering. She was a generous and caring woman.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic