Search for content in message boards

German Language newspaper lookup request

German Language newspaper lookup request

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kroening, Kroning, Kraning, Krening, Kraening
Hi,
I am looking for someone willing to go to the library and look at German Language newspapers for the greater Milwaukee area. I have an obituary need for in a german language newspaper:
August Kroening b 24 Aug 1836 (according to his tombstone)
d 14 Apr 1921. I do not need an english language newspaper, I already have that. I am hoping that the german language newspaper might yield different information. I am needing to know more about cousins, parents, siblings and more about locations in Germany. I am also looking to know about the family church in the Green Bay area. Alternate spellings of the surname are: Kroening, Kroning, Kraning, Krening, Kraening.

I do not live in Wisconsin, so also I am wondering what can be found out about him online thru the library services and in particular on the BadgerLink services.

Re: German Language newspaper lookup request

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 1:36PM GMT
Contact Gary Rebholz (grebholz@yahoo.com) - he has compiled an extensive list of German obit notices. If your people had a obit/death notice published, Gary can tell you what paper(s) they were in and on which date(s). (He doesn't do look ups.) You can then order copies from the Ditto service offered by the Milwaukee Public Library for a nominal fee.

Good Luck!

Lynn

Re: German Language newspaper lookup request

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 7:04PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2013 7:06PM GMT
While I don't do research-on-demand, I've already verified in both personal email and a public posting at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/milwaukeegermannewspapers/
that there was no matching death notice or obit. for that person in my index, (which for all practical genealogical purposes is complete for that year). And I don't believe the gentleman died anywhere near Milwaukee County.

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic