Search for content in message boards

Fischer Brothers(?) - John C., Lorenz H., William F, and Henry

Fischer Brothers(?) - John C., Lorenz H., William F, and Henry

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 2:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking to prove (or disprove) that the above mentioned men were brothers. My ultimate target is Lorenz; he is my gr-gr-grandfather.

This is what I have:

Lorenz Fischer (b. ~1850) married Louise Krause on February 15, 1873. The marriage certificate lists his parents' names as Wenzel and Anna Fischer. The couple had 4 children, only one of which survived to adulthood. From 1875 to 1884 the family lived at 374 5th St., from 1885 - 1891 at 392 5th St.; Lorenz is consistently identified as a brewer in the city directories. Louise divorced Lorenz in 1893 on the grounds of cruelty and neglect compounded by alcoholism. Following the divorce, Lorenz disappears completely from any records. Louise moved in with her sister who ran the Clifton Hotel. Presumably Lorenz died in 1898/99 because Louise lists herself as his widow in the 1900 directory. He does not appear in any directory after 1891.

Henry Fischer lived at 374 5th St (presumably with Lorenz and Louise) from 1882-84. From 1887 to 1890, he is found at 627 3rd St. living with John C. and Elizabeth Fischer. Also in the household (1883-1890) is William F. Fischer. In the city directories Henry and John are identified as brewers; in 1883 John is further identified as "foreman, Jos. Schlitz Brewing". William's occupation was as a clerk for an unidentified business at 267 E. Water.

John C. Fischer and Elizabeth (Krueger) were married on April 4, 1875; the marriage certificate lists John's parents' names as John and Anna Fischer. I have John's naturalization papers; they don't provide any useful information. John died on December 9, 1888 of an apparent heart attack, 18 days short of his 39th birthday. A coroner's report was filed following his death and in it Henry Fischer is deposed. He identifies himself as John's brother and refers to another, unnamed, brother (William?).

Henry Fischer's last entry in the Milwaukee directories is in 1890; William in 1891. I have no information on either of these men past this date.

As stated earlier, my ultimate target is Lorenz. However, I think he may have fallen 'off the map' as a result of his alcoholism; his death appears to be unrecorded in Milwaukee County records. I am hoping to learn more about him through John, Henry and William whom I suspect may be his brothers or have some other family connection.

I have exhausted the information available on Ancestry and 19th Century Newspapers. Suggestions for other avenues of research would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Lynn

Re: Fischer Brothers(?) - John C., Lorenz H., William F, and Henry

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 10:54PM GMT
Surnames: Fischer
Only because you didn't list these sources for additional connections or hints, I'm suggesting them here:
baptism sponsors? the other marriage witnesses? other immigration witnesses? for any of these Fischer folks. Did the ex-Mrs. Lorenz Fischer list her immigration year in the 1900 census (in case they arrived together unmarried.) Any unmarked, anonymous grave in a family plot with those 3 young Fischers or the other Fischers? The Lorenz names in my tree are listed as Laurence or Lawrence Lawrenz in 19th C. records recorded by local non-German clerks.

The German newspapers regularly report the finding of unidentified persons pulled from the river or found elsewhere with detailed descriptions of clothes and contents of pockets provided by the Coroner's office. These articles are followed up until the unknown is ID'd, but sometimes reported as being buried at the County Farm as unknown.

The German papers themselves record the difficulty when reading German handwriting on envelopes; the German letter lists in 1865 include an entry: Johann Tischer (Fischer), letter postmarked from Roebel. Some florid German handwriting on the State of Wisconsin's vital records for one period have a capital F and T that are identical except for the almost invisible cross-hatch on the vertical trunk of the letter denoting F.

Re: Fischer Brothers(?) - John C., Lorenz H., William F, and Henry

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 9:08AM GMT
Thanks for the suggestions, Gary!

I'm working on baptisms for the Fischer children; I've written to St. John's (the mostly likely church) and hopefully the Pastor will respond. Marriage witnesses haven't panned out - neither couple had family members as witnesses.

I have Louisa Fischer's immigration records. She arrived in 1867 with her family. Unfortunately, the Fischer men have much too common names to be able to positively identify them in the immigration records.

I had forgotten about checking cemetery records. Thanks for that reminder! The info about "T" vs "F" is useful too - I have a few censuses where that transcription error was made.

Thanks again for the tips. Hopefully one of them will be the break I need.

Lynn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions