Search for content in message boards

Kirwan and Vicars/Vickers Lackakera, Latteragh Tipperary

Kirwan and Vicars/Vickers Lackakera, Latteragh Tipperary

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 2:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kirwan, Vicars, Vickers
Looking for anyone researching the above families in the Lackakera, Latteragh area of Co. Tipperary. I have a Thomas Kirwan born abt. 1805 married to an Elizabeth Vicars/Vickers around 1837. They had the following children: James abt. 1839, Edward abt. 1842, Eliza in 1844, Catherine in 1849, Thomas abt. 1850 and Richard in 1851. I found Eliza's baptism in July 1844 in Templederry RC Church. Her godparents were listed as Edward Vicars and Anne Kirwan. Richard's baptism was also at Templederry in 1851 and his godparents were Patrick Vicars and Margaret Kirwan. All the family but Richard (must have died young) emigrated to Newburgh NY in 1853. Family stories have said that one of the families had a minor castle on their property and I have been told by another researcher that the Vicars had a castle named Latteragh castle on their property that was in ruins. I would like additional information on Thomas Kirwan and Elizabeth Vicars such as parents. If anyone else is researching these surnames, please respond.

Robin

Re: Kirwan and Vicars/Vickers Lackakera, Latteragh Tipperary

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:35PM GMT
Surnames: Vickers
I live about 50m from the ruins of Latteragh Castle. The land is still in the Vickers family. Ann & Lawerence Vickers live in the family home only yards behind the castle.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 12:24AM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan, Vicars/Vickers
Yes..I have heard that Ann Vickers Purcell lives there. I have also heard the castle is in ruins. There are family stories of the castle that go back many years that my cousin has told me. We just thought originally it was in the KIRWAN line. I reached a man who is related to Ann Vickers in NYC recently. He runs a tavern down there. He was going to Tipperary last week for a visit and was going to see Ann. He was supposed to give her my information as I would love to talk to her. Don't know if was able to do that or not as I haven't heard from her. He also told me that there is a family cemetery across the road from the Vicker property. I would like to get photos of any Vicker gravestones if possible. Do you know of anyone around there that would do such a thing for me? Thank you .
Robin

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan, Vicars/Vickers, Brophy
I am also researching the BROPHY line from the Modreeny area which isn't far from Latteragh. Would you be close to that area? My Brophy and Kirwan/Vicker lines emigrated to Newburgh NY. Most of the Irish Catholic there were from Tipperary. There were quite a few Murphys....did any of yours come over?

Robin

Posted: 26 May 2013 8:54PM GMT
I visited the vicars family many years age. My great grand mother was Catherine Vicars, she married Denis Ryan of Latteragh and moved to Alder Brook Ny. There was another Vicars residence in Latteragh at that time around the corner from the current Vicars place. That property is now in ruins, this was the home of my ancestor. The grave yard across from the Vicars residence is from St Odran, a contemporary of St Patrick. a holy well can ve viewed nearby called St Odran's well. It is generally believed that the well was there before Odran arrived.

Posted: 28 May 2013 2:27PM GMT
I have been in touch with a lady with the name Mary1NYS whose ggrandmother was a Kate Vicars married to a Dennis Ryan...any relation????

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 1:04AM GMT
My Vicars connection is Mary Anne Vicars born 1843. I originally thought she was born in Co Laois but I'm beginning to reconsider that. I have found no birth or marriage info for Co Laois although she did die in Iry, Co Laois. She married Denis Fitzpatrick in 1862, location unknown. I have found info for Mary Vicars born 1843 in Lattera Co Tipperary to James Vicars 1808-1868 and Mary Kennedy 1822-1902

Does this ring any bells to anyone? Thanks!

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 3:48PM GMT
It very well could be her. Vicars/Vickers is an unusual name in Ireland from what I am told. One of the reasons I found mine in Lackakera was I found a baptism certificate for my ancestor's sister for Templederry which is close by. On further research of that area, I came across more Vicars and there was a family story about the Kirwan line owning a minor castle in Ireland. The name of the castle started with a LAT?????. Never paid much attention to it till I started looking at this area. Turns out that the Vicars are the ones that have the castle in the family and its known as Latteragh castle. It has been in ruins for centuries but its still on Vicars property in Lackakera, Latteragh. If your Mary is from that area, we are probably related somehow. Your James could be my Elizabeth Vicars Kirwan's brother as she was born about 1805-1807 time line. And she did name one of her sons James.
Robin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions