Search for content in message boards

townland or parish name help, please

townland or parish name help, please

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DWYER, FINN
Hi,

I am looking for the birth place of my husband's great-grandmother, Mary Finn, born about 1817. According to her death cert in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, her place of birth was Shuplia, Co. Tipperary. I understand that a death cert is not the most reliable source of information about the deceased's beginning of life, especially when she had emigrated from Ireland to Canada to New York State to Michigan and finally settling in Chicago, but I'm hoping that it *sounds* like something. I have searched using seanruad.com, and I have scoured a list of townlands in Tipperary, but I have found nothing that sounds like this, in part or in whole. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,
Jeanne

Re: townland or parish name help, please

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 6:49PM GMT
Surnames: DWYER, FINN
Sorry, I just realized I said something inaccurate in my previous post. The name of the place of Mary Finn's birth I found on her daughter's death cert in Chicago, which obviously is even further removed and even more likely inaccurate. I found a brief article on ancestry.com on Mary Finn, in the database "Chicago Irish Families, 1875-1925" that said this:

"Dwyer, Mary, nee Finn, was buried Sept. 6, in Calvary. She died at her residence, 370 Orchard st. August 27, aged 77 yrs. She was born in Tipperary, Ireland and when a girl in her teens came to America, locating in Montreal, Canada. Then she was married to Andrew Dwyer, 52 years ago. After a short stay in Canada, the family moved to New York state from which place they drifted west eventually to Chicago, and residing here nearly thirty years. Three children survive her, John K., and James P. Dwyer and Mrs. James P. O'Connor. -Sept. 15, 1894"

So according to this source, at least the county of Tipperary is correct. I will appreciate any help with this question of her specific birthplace.

Regards,
Jeanne

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 7:17PM GMT
You could try this.Lots of New Tipperary records on.
http://www.rootsireland.ie

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 7:29PM GMT
Thanks, Frithy. I have been to this site before, but I broke down this time and bought 50 credits. There were actually four hits on Mary Finn born 1817+/-5years, so I downloaded two of them for future reference. Thanks!

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 2:47AM GMT
Hello. I've had some trouble with old records that name places in Ireland that seem to not make much sense. Sometimes the location is spelled wrong and current place names in Ireland prefer to use the Irish name rather than the English name of towns. My favorite site is http://www.logainm.ie/ because it has everything possible including street names. There is a link at the top right to view the site in English. :)
Good luck!
Kyla

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 2:58AM GMT
Thanks! I never heard of this one. I will check it out.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions