Search for content in message boards

Location of Minnesota Junction,Dodge, Wisconsin

Location of Minnesota Junction,Dodge, Wisconsin

Posted: 17 Jul 2001 8:25PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2005 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Burwell
Can't find Minnesota Junction on map. Does it still exist? Need location/history. Thanks

Re: Location of Minnesota Junction,Dodge, Wisconsin

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 11:29AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2002 2:42PM GMT
Draw a line between Beaver Dam and Horicon, then draw another straight north of Juneau. The intersection is Minnesota Junction, Dodge Co. WI.

A useful site in locating places is the following URL

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_f...

Fill out the form with feature and state, and it will return all sorts of possibilities. Click on the one you want, and then click on the link to the Tiger Map Service and it will draw you a map locating the feature you want.

This is a good URL to bookmark!

Posted: 4 Aug 2001 9:10AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2003 5:11PM GMT
It still exists. It is located at the intersection of highways 33 and 26 just east of Beaver Dam. There are a few houses there and a little park. A stream runs through it. A gas station at the intersection. Some kind of old cement or concrete(?) factory there. It's about two blocks long. My guess would be that the 'town' was built around the factory. I would also guess that the name of the town is somehow related to the two railroads that intersect there. You can find it on the map at www.expedia.com and the next time I drive through there I'll look to see what the name of the factory is.

Posted: 10 Oct 2001 4:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2003 5:11PM GMT
The Wisconsin Historical Society has a manuscript written. Click on the link below and it should take you to the information you need. I believe you can order this through interlibrary loan.
http://arcat.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_A...

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I realize this is long time since post. CORRECT location is NORTH of HWY. 26 & 33, on Hwy 26 approx. 1 mile. Minnesota Junction received it's name because of a railroad junction of old Minnesota/St. Paul railroad. Approx. 1 mile north of 26/33 intersection you will cross old rail tracks, if you would look to right there is remnant of other tracks now a bike trail. There used to be a small "spur or horseshoe" that would allow engineers to drop and change direction of certain rail cars. The town was built around the junction of railroad tracks. There used to be a rail station, etc. there Minnesota junction started out to really grow, but didn't for various reasons. There was no factory there, nor is that the reason it grew. It was because of the railroad.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic