Search for content in message boards

John Wright b 1762; resided Union Co, PA and Allegany Co, NY

John Wright b 1762; resided Union Co, PA and Allegany Co, NY

Posted: 30 Dec 2003 1:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WRIGHT CASE KIMBLE
I'm seeking information on John Wright, b 11 Dec 1762, in New York or Pennsylvania. He died after 1850 in Allegany County, NY. I'm hoping to learn the name of his parents and his wife.

All the children I have located in census records were born in PA. His children, listed in a family Bible record, are

Elijah, b 29 Apr 1788
William, b 8 Dec 1789
Judith, b 10 Oct 1791; d 2 Nov 1830
Mary, b 12 May 1792, d Feb 1802
James W.,b 19 Aug 1794, d 31 Mar 1850 in Allegany Co, NY (my line)
Mathew, b 18 Jan 1796, d 19 Dec 1854
Aaron A WRIGHT, b 8 Dec 1800, d 1875
Phebe, b 8 Sep 1802, d 1875
Edward, b 10 Jul 1804
Elizabeth, b 15 Mar 1807, m Austin CASE
Rachel WRIGHT, b 22 Sep 1808, d 16 Sep 1872 in Des Moines Co, IA, m David KIMBLE
John, b 6 Sep 1811 in Union County, Pennsylvania (Northumberland at the time)

William, Elizabeth, Rachel, and John moved to Des Moines County (not city), Iowa before 1850. I have additional information on those lines as well as my line James, but I have never been able to find any of the others.

Error: CASE should be KNAPP

Posted: 30 Dec 2003 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT CASE KIMBLE KNAPP
The Elizabeth who married Austin CASE was the daughter of William. Elizabeth, daughter of John, married Seymour KNAPP.

Re: John Wright b 1762; resided Union Co, PA and Allegany Co, NY

Posted: 26 May 2007 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: Wright
Who has the family Bbile and has it been documented?

Has anyone researched the Allegany or other records to identify where John came from?

Two of his descendants have been DNA tested and show a match with my line of Wrights descending from William Wright, 1707-1776 of August Co, VA. Another branch that DNA match shows shares a recent common ancestor settled in Lawrence/Beaver Co, PA in 1804 with parents born in Ireland.

Bill Wright

Posted: 27 May 2007 5:26PM GMT
Have you checked with Ann Turner? She wrote the original email. She is working on DNA. I have a copy of the Bible information. Will be interested in what is found out. I have John b. 1762 living in Allegany Co but no idea where he came from. I and Ann are descended from his son, James Wright and his 2nd wife, Hulda Kenney.

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 8:33PM GMT
I have traced our Wright heritage to John born 1762 and Charlotte Elizabeth Wright born 1767.thier son Aaron who was born in 1800 and died in Michigan is our line,Do you have any information on the Dna or other information for the Va and Pa lines that could be shared with our family? Robert A Wright Jr Naples Florida.

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 8:34PM GMT
I have traced our Wright heritage to John born 1762 and Charlotte Elizabeth Wright born 1767.thier son Aaron who was born in 1800 and died in Michigan is our line,Do you have any information on the Dna or other information for the Va and Pa lines that could be shared with our family? Robert A Wright Jr Naples Florida.

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 9:18PM GMT
Thanks for writing. I would like very much any info on Aaron. Where in MI? I have tried to isolate the Aaron Wrights to try to figure out which is ours. Your help would be appreciated.

I am going to send your inquiry to Ann Turner-our own Wright DNA authority. She can help you on that line.

Hope to hear from you soon. my email is joj@wavecable.com

Julia (Judy) Wright Joaquin

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Robert,

Our Wright DNA signature can be found on the surname project website under kit N48391. It is grouped together with some Wrights hailing from Augusta County, VA -- you can click on the two hyperlinks for William 1776 to get more background about that branch.

http://www.wright-dna.org/dna/R1b1Results.html

Have you had a Y chromosome test yourself, and if so, are you part of the surname project?

There is another type of DNA test that's not limited to the Y chromosome. It looks at hundreds of thousands of markers scattered over all the chromosomes, so it can track lines that zig-zag back and forth between males and females for several generations at least. You can get this test at 23andMe or Family Tree DNA's Family Finder. My uncle has tested at 23andMe and N48391 has a test underway at FTDNA. Have you done either of those tests?

I'd also be interested in hearing more details about your Aaron -- where he lived in various census years, whom he married, etc etc!

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 5:58AM GMT
Hello!
I am a descendant of John, b 1811, who married Mary Jane Bridges.

I hear about the family bible often in posts, and would LOVE to know more about it, or see a pic?

I am fairly new to the ancestry dig, so forgive me any naïveté. I am working on putting together a family history book of my vein of the family, to preserve our past. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any family info. :)

Jessie (Wright) Ellenbecker

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 1:36PM GMT
Isn't it amazing how old messages still keep going and going and going, like the Energizer Bunny?

I have scanned the Bible records and transcriptions supplied to my by Connie Trogdon. Here is a link John Wright in her tree at Ancestry:

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/13680727/person/-29107507

Connie is a descendant of another son, William, and I am a descendant of another son, James.

My images are very poor quality - scans of copies of copies of copies of the original record. I'd suggest contacting Connie Trogdon to see if she might have better quality images, but if not, you can get back to me and I'll e-mail you what I have.

I am very interested in the DNA aspects of our quest. We do have some Y-chromosome results already, but it would be good if we could confirm them with with a descendant from a different line, such as your John b 1811. Do you have any male relatives who still carry the Wright surname? If so, I'd be willing to sponsor a test at Family Tree DNA.

I'd also be willing to sponsor a test at 23andMe for autosomal DNA (which tracks any of your ancestral lines, not just the straight paternal line). The best person for this test is the oldest generation (the closest generation to John), regardless of whether the line of descent zigzags back and forth between males and females.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic