Search for content in message boards

Family of Varnum McConnell

Family of Varnum McConnell

Posted: 8 Jan 2003 4:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McConnell, McDonald
Varnum McConnell, b 1869 in Picton of Price Edward County, Ontario to Reuben and Abigail McConnell. He emigrated to Michigan in the late 1880s. A 1941 newspaper article notes that Varnum or "Barney" was long time Supervisor of Hawes Township, Alcona County, Michigan. It lists four sons--Guy, Judd, Earl & Vern--living in Detroit and four daughters--Clara Conklin, Kathryn Ferris, Uldeen McConnell, and Della Sivier. I'm unsure if this McConnell family is related to mine. My grandfather John McConnell, b 1845, married Catherine McDonald, b 1851. Their known children were George, b 1876; Jesse, b 1878; David b 1883 in Ripley, Huron County, Ontario; and John b. 1885. They migrated to Alpena County (adjacent to Alcona), Michigan about 1887.

Re: Family of Varnum McConnell

Posted: 13 Jan 2003 2:51AM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 11:06PM GMT
Does a Lydia McConnell (Ballard) fit into your McConnell family? Lydia was born about 1809 and died in 1872 in PE. She married James Thompson.

Posted: 23 Jan 2003 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: mcconnell
I have limited information on the McConnells but Lydia is not a common name in my line.

Jim

Ron (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2003 5:08PM GMT
I do have most of the McConnell in my records from Prince Edward County and I can find no tie in with your John and him. He does have a brother John but he lived and died here or at least it seems and I believe I have all his family.

Posted: 5 Sep 2003 5:28AM GMT
Surnames: McConnell
I am searching for a Joseph McConnell who was born in Canada about 1845. Marcia Davidson found a Joseph McConnell, age 9, living with William and Catherine Clark in Hallowell Twp., Prince Edward County, Canada in the 1851 census. My Joseph McConnell was living in Avoca, Steuben County, New York in 1880 with his family--wife, Sarah and children: Alice, Fred, Charles and Ida who were all born in New York. Do you have anything on this family?

Jim MacConnell (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2003 11:35AM GMT
Surnames: McConnell
So far I have not found New York connections with Ontario McConnells. It certainly is possible--if I do I'll let you know.

Re: Family of Varnum McConnell or McConnel

Posted: 3 Nov 2003 12:56AM GMT
Surnames: McConnell, McConnel
I found a likely brother to Varnum--Manley McConnel--in the 1900 census for Washington Township, Sanilac County, Michigan. The 1881 Prince Edward Island census shows that Varnum had a brother Manley about the age of the one in Sanilac.

My great Uncle John McConnell, b abt 1886 in Huron Township, Bruce County, Ontario, named of his first sons Manley. The Bruce County family (John & Catherine nee McDonald McConnel, spelled with one "l" is listed in the 1881 census for Bruce but I can't find them in 1871. John and Catherine immigrated to Alpena, Michigan, not too far from Varnum (Alcona County)--perhaps there is a tie to the Prince Edward Island McConnel(l)s.

The McConnell family probably spelled it with one "l" based upon census information .

Re: Family of Varnum McConnell or McConnel

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 11:34PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2005 2:06AM GMT
Yes Varnum did have a brother Manly who also moved to the States. There was another brother Norman who moved to the U.S as well. I am looking for info regarding this family. I am looking for info on Ruebens Grandfather William McConnell. All I know is that he came from Ireland about 1820. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted: 4 May 2008 2:59AM GMT
I would be interested to know if your Mcconnell family in Prince Edward co. would have Roxanna McConnell married to William Nelson Cole. This is my family GGgrandparents and can not find much on Roxanna's family
Terrie

Posted: 6 May 2008 3:23AM GMT
Surnames: McConnell, Cole
I have a Lydia McConnell who was born in New York in 1809. She came to Prince Edward County and married James Thompson. She died in 1872 and is buried in the Cherry Creek Cemetery.

I think she may have been connected to your Roxanna McConnell. I do have some information about both her and her husband William Cole. Please contact me off-board at phuff@new.rr.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic