Bartholomew and Betsey Cornell
I am requesting information on this family. They resided in Hillsboro.
Bartholomew CORNELL, b. ca. 1812, NY
There are several families at Hillsborough, Vernon Co., WI, on the database of the 1880 Census at FamilySearch.org.
Bartholomew CORNELL, 68, NY NY NY; Betsy, 52, NY VT ENG; ch. Bony, 19; Alfred, 13; James E., 12; & Jane, 9, all b. WI.
Rinaldo CORNELL, 29; Ann, 25; Mary Jane, 5; Flora, 3; & Ashley, ten months, all b. WI.
George, 25, PA NY _; Sarah, 18, WI ENG ENG; Willis G., two mos.
I have not connected these to my line, which is from
(1) Thomas CORNELL who m. ca. 1673, Susannah LAWTON.
(2) George CORNELL (1676 - 1752) & 2d wf. Deliverance CLARKE (1678 - 1732), m. 10 Jan. 1699, Portsmouth, RI.
(3) Philadelphia CORNELL, b. 23 N 1702, Portsmouth, RI, m. 1722, Portsmouth, RI, Thos. COOK.
The index to the New York Census of 1790 has many CORNELL families. Because of the names, I think my line had members in Easton, NY, which had a James and also Daniel, Ebenezer, Gideon, John, Joseph, Lemuel, Seth, & Thomas CORNELL. James was the only one of your names that I see.
Re: Bartholomew and Betsey Cornell
The Cornells are my Great Great Grandparents, I was just going thru some old papers when I found their pic with name and relationship on back. Yes, picture, old, no smiles, and from about 1850+/-. I'm 60 and remember hearing the name Bony. Think he was a Great Uncle.
Re: Bartholomew CORNELL, b. ca. 1812, NY
I have quite a bit of information on this family but must locate the paperwork I was sent about this family. What I do have access to right away is mostly about their children. Bartholomew's wife was Elizabeth (nickname Betsy/Bessie) maiden name was Short.
The children of Bartholomew Cornell and Betsy Short:
1. Reneldo Cornell sometimes listed as Rinaldo was born November 4 1849 Pennsylvania died May 15 1927 Ontario, Vernon, Wisconsin. He married firstly Anna Nancie Catherwood October 13 1872 the list for Rinaldo in the 1880 census would be with his wife and their children. He married secondly a Jane Thompson.
2. Mary Cornell born January 7 1852 Charles Township, Minnesota died: April 11 1947 Viroqua, Vernon, Wisconsin Mary married firstly Charles Betts in 1874 and secondly Alford Pratt
3. George Cornell born 1855 married: Sarah ? (would be the George listed in the 1880 census)
4. Boney Cornell born December 25 1862 Wisconsin died 1948 Iowa Boney married Elizabeth Butterfuss
5. Clara Josephine Cornell born April 22 1863 Dodge County Wisconsin died: July 30 1962 Huron, Beadle, South Dakota buried: Riverside Cemetery, Huron, Beadle, South Dakota married: firstly: Frederick Elonzo Evens April 28 1878 Vernon County, Wisconsin married second Alfred Henry Pillsbury 1882
a. James Edward Pillsbury February 9 1892 Brillion, Wisconsin died: August 1977 Huron, Beadle, South Dakota married: Carolina M. Graff
b. Stephen Pillsbury married firstly Verna Palmer-McCloud secondly Stella Hagen
c. Elmer Pillsbury
d. Walter Pillsbury
e. Nora Pillsbury
f. Elizabeth Pillsbury
6. Alfred Cornell born February 1865 Wisconsin d: Hillsborough, Vernon, Wisconsin married Lillian Rose Jepson August 1 1886
7. James Edward Cornell born 1868 Tripville, Vernon, Wisconsin died November 9 1947
8. Betsey Jane Cornell born 1874 Wisconsin died Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska married firstly: Asa Gorham
a. Mary Gorham born July 1890 my grandmother told me she believed Mary married someone with the surname of Fitzgerald.
b. Archie Gorham born April 19 1894 died May 1979 Fort Dodge, Webster, Iowa married: Nellie ?
c. Libby Gorham
Betsey married secondly James Patrick Sullivan
Child of Betsey Jane Cornell and James Patrick Sullivan
d. James Fitz Sullivan born March 24 1901 Ontario, Vernon, Wisconsin died January 31 2002 Orlando Florida buried at Meadowlawn Memorial Gardens New Port Richey, Florida James married firstly Marie Naomi Klotz divorced about 1945 after 4 children (Jesse *died at birth*, twin Bessie, James and Naomi) married 2nd Mildred Parry widowed married thirdly Dorothy Michaels 1987 widowed April 2001
James Patrick Sullivan and Betsey Jane Cornell were my great great grandparents. There is a book called An Irishman in the Iron Brigade: The Civil War Memoirs of James P. Sullivan which gives some of this information and has a photo of James P. Betsey and James F. in it. He sadly died when my great grandfather was just a young boy in 1906. Not long after his death, the rivers and creeks of the area, the Kickapoo River runs through Ontario, flooded and destroyed much in the town including the home & office that had been James P's. (He was an attorney). Betsey salvaged what little she could and took the children to Fort Dodge, Iowa to look for work. In the 1930 census she was living with her son James Fitz Sullivan and his family in Omaha, Nebraska. She had a different last name so (I can not recall what it is right this moment) so it appears she had married a third time and been widowed a third time. I do not know when exactly she died yet but know that it was after the 1930 census.
Bartholomew CORNELL, b. ca. 1812, NY
The 1870 Census of Hillsboro, WI, has two consecutive CORNWELL families.
B. NY: Bertholomew, 54
B. PA: Betsey, 42; Reneldo, 18; Mary, 15; George, 17
B. WI: Bertholomew, 12; Clara, 8; Alfred, 5; Edward, 2.
B. NY: Stephen J., 58, & Henrietta, 49
B. PA: Daniel W., 17
B. WI: Chester, 15; Lydia M.? 13; Louisa, 11; Bertholomew, 1.
Vernon Co., WI, Tombstone Inscriptions
Hills Prairie Methodist Cem., Hillsboro Twp., Vernon Co., WI: CORNELL
Boney (1862 - 1948), Elizabeth (1865 - 1901), & Lillian R. (5 May 1871 - 7 Apr. 1908).
PRATT, Alfred (1846 - 1934) Co. D, Seventh WI Infantry, GAR; Mary (1854 - 1947); & C. G. BETTS (1873 - 1913).
Asbury Methodist, Jefferson Twp., Lorraine M. [CORNELL HENRY] WILDISH (10 May 1925 - 7 May 2002) m1. Julian HENRY, m2. James L. WILDISH (1918 - 1989).
Billings Creek Cem., Forest Twp.: Ann CORNELL (1864 - 1899).
Anna M. [CORNELL] DOWNING (1909 - 2001) & Ernest D. DOWNING (1899 - 1959).
Bear Creek Baptist Cem., Stark Twp. CORNELL
Clarence (27 Mar. 1891 - 31 Oct. 1967) Sgt. TRP D 17 Cav., WW I.
Maude D. (1 Sep. 1896 - 21 Mar. 1993)
Sons Richard (20 Nov. 1922 - 19 Dec. 1986) S. Sgt., Marines, WW II; & Murray E. (1920 - 1926).
Randy Charles (27 July 1957 - 5 Aug. 1962) & Sandy Lynn (3 Je. 1956 - 29 July 1966).
Star / Advent / Seelyburg Cem., Stark Twp., Charles R. CORNELL, infant, 22 Feb. 1934.
Vernon Crossroads Cem., Union Twp., CORNELL, Delbert A. (1892 - 1971) & Anna E. (1896 - 1977)
Leroy George "Butch" (6 Apr. 1924 - 6 Aug. 1993) S1, USN WW II, & Wilda L. (19 Oct. 1925 - _ ).
Viroqua Cem., Viroqua Twp., Thela [DORSCHIED CORNELL] LEWISON (22 Aug. 1914 - 17 Mar. 1999) m1. George CORNELL; m2. Oscar LEWISON (1900 - 1968).
Flossie [CORNELL], b. 1914, & Adolph A. WISTENBERG (1905 - 1962).
Mt. Zion, Webster Twp., Arad L. CORNELL (23 Sep. 1846 - 27 July 1905), Julia [BATES] (2 Nov. 1857 - 1 Oct. 1939), & dau. Edith (1880 - 10 Jan. 1882).
Old Ontario Cem., Whitestown Twp.
Edward CORNELL (1871 - 1947) & Arbell [BURDICK] (1872 - 1925).
Hilltop Rest, Whitestown Twp., Charles R. CORNELL (1906 - 1980) & Nellie M. (1916 - 1985).
Viola Cem., Forest Twp. Richland County, WI: Isoline [FISH] (b. 1919) m1. Gerald LEATHERBERRY (1910 - 1957), & m2. Richard CORNELL.
--It appears that the earlier families moved on, and the ones who stayed scattered across most of Vernon County.