Search for content in message boards

Mary DAVREN from Galway.

Mary DAVREN from Galway.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 7:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davren, Stenson
I'm trying to locate a Mary Davren, from Galway.
I have no idea when she came to England, but she may have married a man with the surname STENSON. They lived in either Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire.
They had a daughter, Mary Stenson (Mary E Stenson), born around 1890, who later married Arthur Tebbutt, (my great grandparents).

Re: Mary DAVREN from Galway.

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 4:58PM GMT
Hello Avril,

I’m not a descendant, but found information that shows that Mary Daveren actually married John Tebbutt, and that their son Arthur, in turn had married Mary Ellen Stenson.

First, the marriage of Mary Davren and John Tebbutt. I found their marriage index at the FreeBMD website at:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

This index shows the marriage of four people recorded in the Basford Registration District for the June quarter of 1884. The Basford District recorded births, marriages, and deaths for towns and parishes in sections of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

The people in the index are listed alphabetically by their last names, not by marriage partner. You’ll see that Mary Davren is the first person listed in the index while John Tebbutt is the last:

Marriages June Quarter 1884

Davren Mary
Fothergill Philip Henry
Simpson Ada Alice
Tebbutt John

Registration District: Basford

Volume: 7b

Page: 188
____

You can purchase a copy of the marriage certificate for Mary and John online from the General Register Office (GRO), which is located in Southport. For information about purchasing birth, marriage, and death records, and the costs involved, go to the GRO website at: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Information from the BMD website shows what details may be found on a civil marriage record. See below:

Marriages

District, Church, Parish, Location,
Date of Marriage, Forename & Surnames, Ages,
Marital Conditions, Professions, Addresses,
Father's Forename & Surname, Father's Occupations, for both parties present.
Witness names, Priest/Vicar's Name,& Signature
____

To see what towns and parishes fell under the jurisdiction of the Basford Registration District, go to the GenUKI website link at: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/basford.html

Next I looked for John and Mary Tebbutt in the 1901 census. This enumeration would not only tell us where John and Mary were living, but would also show how many children were in the household with them, and what John’s occupation was.

I located the Tebbutt family in the 1891 census living in an address of Elm Street, Barrowash, Notts. John is shown to be a 33 year old lace maker born in Radford, Notts. His 27 year old wife was born in Ireland. There are three children in the household with John and Mary. These children are 6 year old Arthur, born in Beeston, 2 year old William, and 1 year old Percy, who were both born in Borrowash.

The 1891 census transcription from Ancestry.com is below:

1891 England Census

Civil Parish: Ockbrook
Ecclesiastical parish: Ockbrook All Saints
Town: Borrowash
County/Island: Derbyshire

Street Address: Elm Street

Registration District: Shardlow
Sub-registration District: Spondon
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Piece: 2726
Folio: 36
Page Number: 15

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

John Tebbutt, Head, Married, Male, 33, Lace Maker, Notts Radford
Mary Tebbutt, Wife, Married, Female, 27, Ireland
Arthur Tebbutt, Son, Male, 6, Scholar, Notts Beeston
William Tebbutt, Son, Male, 2, Derbyshire Borrowash
Percy Tebbutt, Son, Male, 1, Derbyshire Borrowash

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2726; Folio: 36; Page: 15; GSU Roll: 6097836.
____

Arthur Tebbutt in the census above, I believe, is your great grandfather who would later marry your great grandmother, Mary Ellen Stenson.

Next I looked for Arthur’s birth index at the FreeBMD website, and found it. The index shows that Arthur’s birth was recorded in the Basford Registration District for the June quarter of 1885. His birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 174 of the GRO registers:

Birth June Quarter 1885

Tebbutt Arthur

Page: 174
____

The copy of Arthur’s birth cert from the GRO in Southport will verify the names of his parents, including his mother’s maiden name.

I also found the birth indexes for William and Percy Tebbutt. Their births were registered in the Shardlow Registration District. William’s birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 506 of the GRO registers, and Percy’s in Volume 7b, Page 494 of the GRO registers:

Birth June Quarter 1888

Tebbutt William

Page: 506
____

Birth March Quarter 1890

Tebbutt Percy

Page: 494
____

To see what towns and parishes fell within the jurisdiction of the Shardlow Registration District, go to the GenUKI website link at: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/shardlow.html

Next I looked for John and Mary Tebbutt and their children in the 1901 census. If you had looked for the family in the 1901 census before, you may not have found them, as their name in the census index was transcribed by the Ancestry.com staff as “Gelbert,” rather than Tebbutt.

The census shows the family living in an address of 6 Church Lane, Beeston. John is shown to be a 43 year old lace maker and born in Nottinghamshire. His 37 year old wife Mary was born in Ireland. The children in the household are Arthur, whose occupation appears to be “moulder.” He was born in Beeston. The next three children were born in Barrowash. These are 12 year old William; 11 year old Percy; and 7 year old Lily. The youngest child in the household is 2 year old Stanley, who was born in Beeston.

The 1901 census transcription from Ancestry.com follows:

1901 England Census

Civil Parish: Beeston
Ecclesiastical parish: Beeston
Town: Beeston
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Street Address: 6 Church Lane

Sub-registration District: Beeston
ED, institution, or vessel: 4

Household Schedule Number: 250
Piece: 3153
Folio: 97
Page Number: 34

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/Own Account, If Working at Home, Where Born

John Tebbutt, Head, Married, Male, 43, Lace Maker, Worker, Notts
Mary Tebbutt, Wife, Married, Female, 37, Ireland
Arthur Tebbutt, Son, Single, Male, 16, ?, Notts Beeston
William Tebbutt, Son, Single, Male, 12, Derbys Barrowash
Percy Tebbutt, Son, Single, Male, 11, Derbys Barrowash
Lily Tebbutt, Daughter, Single, Female, 7, Derbys Barrowash
Stanley Tebbutt, Son, Single, Male, 2, Notts Beeston

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3153; Folio: 97; Page: 34.
____

I then located the GRO birth indexes for “Lillie” and Stanley Tebbutt. The index for Lillie shows her birth recorded in the Shardlow Registration District for the June quarter of 1893. Her birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 523 of the GRO registers.

Stanley’s birth was recorded in the Basford Registration District for the March quarter of 1899. His birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 204 f the GRO registers:

Birth June Quarter 1893

Tebbutt Lillie

Page: 523
____

Birth March Quarter 1899

Tebbutt Stanley

Page; 204
____

I next found 53 year old John Tebbut and his 48 year old wife Mary in the 1911 census in an address of 18 Bramcote Rd Beeston Notts. John’s occupation shows he is employed at home as a curtain lace maker for a lace manufacturer. He was born in Nottingham. Mary is shown to have been married for 26 years, and in the that time period she had 6 children born alive, with 5 of those children still living. Four children are in the household with them, but Arthur is not among them. He may have been out on his own or he may have been married by 1911. I’ll have more information about Arthur a little later.

This is the first census that shows that Mary was born in Galway, Ireland.

The children in the household are 22 year old William, employed as a labourer in an iron foundry. He was born in Barrowash; 21 year old Percy employed as a butcher at home. He was also born in Barrowash; 17 year old Lillie, employed making blouses for a blouse manufacturer. She too was born in Barrowash. The youngest child is 12 year old Stanley, born in Beeston.

The 1911 census transcription that follows is from Ancestry.com:

1911 England Census

Street Address: 18 Bramcote Rd Beeston Notts

Registration District Number: 429
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Piece: 20427

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Age Last Birthday, Sex, Marital Status, Number Years Married, Number Children Born Alive, Children Still Living, Children Who Have Died, Occupation, Industry or
Service, Employer, Worker, or Own Account, Where Born

John Tebbutt, Head, Male, 53, Married 26 years, Lacemaker Curtains, Lace Manuf, Worker, Home, Nottingham
Mary Tebbutt, Wife, Female, 48, Married 26 Years, 6 Children Born Alive, 5 Children Still Living, 1 Child Who Has Died, Galway Ireland
William Tebbutt, Son, Male, 22, Married, Labourer Iron Foundery, Worker, Borrowash Derby
Percy Tebbutt, Son, Male, 21, Single, Butcher, Worker, Home, Borrowash Derby
Lillie Tebbutt, Daughter, Female, 17, Single, Blouse Hand, Blouse Manuf, Worker, Borrowash Derby
Stanley Tebbutt, Son, Male, 12, Single, Beeston, Notts

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 20427.
____

Next I uncovered the GRO marriage index for Mary Ellen Stenson and Arthur Tebbutt. The index shows the marriage was recorded in the Basford Regustration District for the March quarter of 1910. The marriage record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 433 of the GRO registers:

Marriage March Quarter 1910

Stenson Mary Ellen

Tebbutt Arthur

Regustration District: Basford

Page: 433
____

I then located 26 year old Arthur Tebbutt and his 25 year old wife Mary Ellen in the 1911 census living in an Address of
83 Gladstone Street, Beeston Nottinghamshire. Arthur is shown to be s self-employed window cleaner born in Beeston. The census shows that Mary Ellen was also born in Beeston, and that she and Arthur had been married for 1 year, with one child born to them. This child is 5 month old Arthur, born in Beeston.

Below is the 1911 census transcription from Ancestry.com:

1911 England Census

Street Address: 83 Gladstone Street, Beeston Notts

Registration District:Basford
Registration District Number: 429
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Piece: 20428

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Age Last Birthday, Sex, Marital Status, Number Years Married, Number Children Born Alive, Children Still Living, Children Who Have Died, Occupation, Industry or Service, Employer, Worker, or Own Account, Where Born

Arthur Tebbutt, Head, Male, 26, Married, Window Cleaner, Own Account, Beeston Nottinghamshire, British Subject by Parentage
Mary Ellen Tebbutt, Wife, Female, 25, 1 Child Born, 1 Child Still Living, 0 Children Who Have Died, Beeston Nottinghamshire,
Arthur Tebbutt, Son, Male, 5 mths, Beeston Nottinghamshire,

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 20428.
____

Next is the GRO birth index for Arthur Tebbutt. The index shows his birth recorded in the Basford Registration District for the December quarter of 1910. His birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 267 of the GRO registers:

Birth December Quarter 1910

Tebbutt Arthur

Page: 267
____

After the year 1910 birth indexes for England and Wales included the maiden name of a child’s mother. I now wanted to see how many birth indexes I could find for children named Tebbutt whose mothers’ maiden name was Stenson.

I uncovered 10 birth indexes. All the births were recorded in Basford. The names and years of births for the children are:

Female child (1911); May (1913); Winifred (1915); Kathleen (1916); Eric (1918); Kenneth (1920); Lily (1922); Richard H. (1924); Rosalie (1926); and Margery (1929).

The birth indexes for the 10 children follow:

Birth September Quarter 1911

Tebbutt Female

Mother's Maiden Name: Stenson

Page: 544
____

Birth June Quarter 1913

Tebbutt May

Page: 517
____

Birth March Quarter 1915

Tebbutt Winifred

Page: 554
____

Birth December Quarter 1916

Tebbutt Kathleen

Page: 422
____

Birth December Quarter 1918

Tebbutt Eric

Page: 428
____

Birth December Quarter 1920

Tebbutt Kenneth

Page: 450
____

Birth September Quarter 1922

Tebbutt Lily

Page: 441
____

Birth March Quarter 1924

Tebbutt Richard H

Page: 424
____

Birth June Quarter 1926

Tebbutt Rosalie

Page: 435
____

Birth June Quarter 1929

Tebbutt Margery

Page: 396
____

MARY DAVERIN

Earlier, you saw that Mary “Davren” and John Tebbutt were married in Nottinghamshire in the year 1884. I figured there was the possibility that Mary would have been in England a few years before her marriage, and so I looked for her in the 1881 census.

I looked for an Irish-born Mary Daverin/Deveren/Decren, etc. first in Nottinghamshire, but failed to locate her, and so I expanded the search to adjoining other counties. I uncovered four possibilities, one for a Mary Daverin born in 1863 in “Annydown,” Ireland, and residing in Whittington, Derbyshire; a Mary Davern, born in Tipperary, Ireland in 1841, and residing in St. Giles in the Fields, London; a Mary Deveren, born in Wexford, Ireland in 1831, and living in Liverpool; and a Mary Deverent born in Ireland in 1845, living in West Derby, Lancashire. In the 1891 census Mary Tebbutt is shown to be 27 years old, which places her year of birth circa 1864, and so the likely possibility for your Mary is the Mary Daverin in Whittington, Derbyshire, as Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are adjoining counties. In addition, this Mary Daverin’s place of birth is listed as, “Annydown,” which is a reference to the civil parish as well as the Catholic parish of Annaghdown, located north of Galway City, on a body of water known as Lough Corrib. Your information shows that Mary came from County Galway.

The 1881 census shows that Mary is an 18 year old domestic nurse. She is in the household with her 40 year old father Martin and 40 year old mother Hannah. Martin and Hannah were also born in “Annydown, Ireland. Martin’s occupation is labourer. The oldest child in the household is 21 year old Patrick, a coal miner born in Annydown. Also born in Annydown is 15 year old Thomas. The two youngest children in the household are 8 year old Catherine, and 6 month old Mark, both born in Chesterfield. The address of the family is Springwell Row, Whittington, Chesterfield.

The 1881 census transcription from Ancestry.com follows:

1881 England Census

Civil Parish: Whittington

Street Address: Springwell Row

Registration District: Chesterfield
Sub-registration District: Chesterfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 43
Piece: 3436
Folio: 41
Page Number: 78

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

Martin Daverin, Head, Married, Male, 40, Labourer, Ireland Annydown
Hannah Daverin, Wife, Married, Female, 40, Ireland Annydown
Patrick Daverin, Son, Munmarried, Male, 21, Coal Miner, Ireland Annydown
Mary Daverin, Daughter, Female, 18, Nurse Dom, Ireland Annydown
Thomas Daverin, Son, Male, 15, Ireland Annydown
Catherine Daverin, Daughter, Female, 8, Scholar, Derby Chesterfield
Mark Daverin, Son, Male, 6 mo, Derby Chesterfield

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3436; Folio: 41; Page: 78; GSU roll: 1341822.
____

Because I believe the 1881 census pertains to your Mary Daverin, I continued with further research on this family. I next found the GRO birth indexes for Catherine and Mark Daverin, both of whom were born in Chesterfield. The index for Catherine “Davern” shows her birth recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the June quarter of 1873. Her birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 602 of the GRO registers.

The index for Mark “Davaren” shows his birth recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the December quarter of 1880. His birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 631 of the GRO registers.

Both indexes are below:

Birth June Quarter 1873

Davern Catherine

Page: 602
____

Birth December Quarter 1880

Davaren Martin

Page: 631
____

I also found a death index for a child that may have belonged to Martin and Hannah. This is for the death of John “Daveron.” His death was recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District in the June quarter of 1875. He was 1 year old when he died. His death record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 401 of the GRO registers.

Death June Quarter 1875

Daveron John

Page: 401
____

I then found the household of Martin and Hannah Daveran/Davaran in the 1891 and 1901 census returns living in St. Mary’s Place, Chesterfield. The 1901 census shows that Martin and Hannah/Hanoria were both from Galway. Their daughter Mary is not in either census enumeration with them, as she would have been married and living in Nottinghamshire.

See both census transcriptions below from Ancestry.com:

1891 England Census

Civil Parish: Chesterfield
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary and All Saints

Street Address: St. Mary's Place, Back of No. 3

ED, institution, or vessel: 3a
Piece: 2760
Folio: 47
Page Number: 51

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

Martin Daveran, Head, Married, Maler, 50, Coal Miner, Ireland
Hannah Daveran, Wife, Married, Female, 58, Ireland
Kate Daveran, Daughter, Single, Female, 18, Pill Box Factory Hand, Derby Chesterfield
Martin Daveran, Son, Male, 10, Scholar, Derby Chesterfield
Martin Nolan, Lodger, Single, Male, 19, Peate Laborer on New Railroad, Ireland
Thomas Cruise, Lodger, Single, Male, 20, Ireland
Martin Heagney, Lodger, Single, Male, 20, Ireland

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2760; Folio: 47; Page: 51; GSU Roll: 6097870.
____

1901 England Census

Civil Parish: Chesterfield
Ecclesiastical parish: Chesterfield St Mary and Calow All Saints
Town: Chesterfield

Street Address: 14 St. Mary's Place

ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household Schedule Number: 162
Piece: 3247
Folio: 52
Page Number: 32

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/Own Account, If Working at Home, Where Born

Martin Davaran, Head, Married, Male, 65, Ireland Galway
Hanoria Davaran, Wife, Married, Female, 65, Ireland Galway
Martin Davaran, Son, Single, Male, 20, Coal Miner's Labourer, Worker, Derby Chesterfield
Eugene Casey, Boarder, Single, Male, 26, Railway Worker, Worker, Ireland Galway
Jack Casey, Boarder, Single, Male, 20, Railway Worker, Worker, Ireland Galway

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3247; Folio: 52; Page: 32.
____

You’ll notice in the 1901 census just above that Martin’s wife is listed as “Hanoria” rather than Hannah. Hanoria, along with Hanora, Honora, Honor, and even Anne/Ann are variations of the first name Hannah that you often find in Irish records.

I had also looked for Martin and Hannah in the 1911 census but didn’t find them. But I did uncover what I believe are their death indexes at the FreeBMD website. The index for Martin shows his death recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the March quarter of 1902. He was 65 when he died. He was also listed as 65 in the 1901 census. This indicates he would have turned 66 in 1901 but died before his 66th birthday. Martin’s death was recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District, and can be found in Volume 7b, Page 432 of the GRO registers.

The index for Hannah shows her death recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the June quarter of 1909. She was 71 when she died. Her death record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 422 of the GRO registers. Both indexes follow:

Death March Quarter 1902

Daveran Martin

Age at Death: 65

Page: 432
____

Deaths June Quarter 1909

Daveran Hannah

Age at death: 71

Page: 422
____

If you order the death records for Martin and Hannah, see who is listed as the informant(s) who reported the deaths to the local registrar, as the informant may have been one of their children. The death records should also tell you what the cause of death was for each.

ANNAGHDOWN, COUNTY GALWAY

We now know from the census returns that Mary Daveren was born in Annaghdown, County Galway circa 1863. We also know that her parents were Martin and Hannah or Hanoria. I next wanted to see if I could find Mary’s birth or baptism indexes at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website.

I did locate what I believe to be Mary’s baptism index at the IFHF website. This index shows that Mary’s baptism took place in Annaghdown, Galway (West) Catholic Church in 1863. The IFHF search engine accepted Martin as the first name of her father, but did not accept Hannah as the first name of her mother. I then submitted variations of the name Hannah to the search engine, which finally accepted Honor as the first name of Mary’s mother. The IFHF does not provide you with the maiden name of a child’s mother in baptism or birth indexes. In fact the IFHF website doesn’t provide you with any names at all. If you don’t know what the surname or maiden name is, in a baptism or marriage record, you would have to find out through further research, or you could just go ahead and order a transcription of the baptism or marriage record to find out what the surname or maiden name is.

You’ll see below that the exact spelling of the surname in the baptism index for Mary is, “Davern.”

1 match for the search criteria: Davern Mary 1863 Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Galway (West)
Surname: Davern
First Name: Mary
Father's Surname: Davern
Father's First Name: Martin
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Honor

Year: 1863

Parish/District: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the index for that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain a transcription of the record from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcription. The IFHF website has more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=78

One advantage of ordering records from the IFHF is that as soon as credit card information is processed, the record is sent to your computer, so that you don’t have to wait very long to view it.

To take a look at a sample Catholic baptism transcription from the IFHF, go to the following link:
http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=samplerecords#baptis...

I next wanted to see if I could find out what Honor’s maiden name was. To do this I accessed the 10 most common surnames found in the civil parish of Annaghdown, in an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation. Griffiths valuation was enumerated in the 32 counties of Ireland between 1847 and 1864. The valuation for County Galway was completed by the year 1855. These 10 common surnames for Annaghdown names are listed at the Irish Times website link at: http://tinyurl.com/krc7n4b

Once at the Irish Times page, scroll down past the names of the townlands and streets located in the parish of Annaghdown, and you’ll come to the heading for, “Most common surnames in Annaghdown in 1855,” located just to the left of the bottom portion of the map.

I’ve also included these names below for easy referral:

Most common surnames in Annaghdown in 1855

Surname Households

Burke 43
Ford 38
Fahy 25
Cahill 15
Flaherty 14
Blake 13
Browne 13
Kavanagh 13
Leonard 11
Grealy 10
____

I took each of the surnames in the list above to se if the IFHF search engine accepted any of them as Honor’s maiden name. The search rejected all the names. I then expanded the search to the 10 most common surnames in surrounding parishes. One of these parishes is Killannin, located west of Galway City.

The 10 surnames are listed below:

Most common surnames in Killannin in 1855

Surname Households

Folan 73
McDonagh 48
Curran 42
Connolly 41
Walsh 41
Flaherty 38
Lydon 23
Costello 19
Donohoe 18
Feeny 18
____

Once again I submitted each of the above surnames to the IFHF search engine, to see if any of them were accepted as Honor’s maiden name. The search engine accepted the last name in the list, Feeny. Thus, Mary’s parents were Martin
Davern and Honor Feeny:

1 match for the search criteria: Davern Mary 1863 Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)

Mother's Surname: Feeny

Year: 1863

____

The 1881 census had shown that two of Martin and Hannah’s sons, 21 year old Patrick and 15 year old Thomas, were also born in “Annydown.” Patrick’s age of 21 in 1881 places his year of birth circa 1860, while Thomas’s age of 15 places his year of birth 1866.

I next looked for their baptism indexes and found them. The index for Patrick shows he was baptized in the Annaghdown Catholic Church in 1860, while Thomas was baptized in the church in 1866. The exact spelling of Patrick’s surname is Daviran, while the exact spelling for Thomas’s surname is Davern, the same spelling as his sister Mary’s name shown above. You’ll also notice in the index for Thomas that his mother Honor’s maiden name is spelled, “Feeney,” as an exact spelling, rather than, “Feeny.”

Please see below:

1 match for the search criteria: Daviran Patrick 1860 Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)

Surname: Daviran
First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname: Feeny

Year: 1860

____

1 match for the search criteria: Davern Thomas 1866 Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)

First Name: Thomas
Mother's Surname: Feeney

Year: 1866

____

I didn’t find the baptism indexes for any more children of Martin and Honor in Ireland, nor did I uncover their marriage index, unfortunately. According to information from the IFHF website, the Annaghdown Catholic registers of baptism and marriage were recorded from 1834-1900. If Martin and Honor did marry in Annaghdown it’s possible their marriage record was too faded to read or on a page that had been damaged over time. I also looked for the baptism indexes for Martin and Mary. I figured they would have been born and baptized sometime in the 1830s and possibly the early 1840s. I didn’t find a baptism index for Martin, but did uncover an IFHF baptism index for a Mary Feeny, which may pertain to the Mary Feeny who would later marry Martin Deveran.

The index shows that Mary Feeny was baptized in the Annaghdown Catholic Church in 1838. The search engine accepted Martin as the first name of her father and Catherine as the first name of her mother:

1 match for the search criteria: Feeny Mary 1838 Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)

Surname: Feeny
Father's Surname: Feeny
Mother's Surname: Cravin
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1838

____

Next I went back to the list of the 10 most common names you saw earlier in the parishes of Annaghdown and Killannin, to see if the search engine accepted any of these names as Catherine’s maiden name. None of the names had been accepted by the search engine.

I then expanded the search of the 10 most common surnames in other parishes that surround Annaghdown. One of these parishes is Called Belclare, located just north of Annaghdown. See below for the list of the 10 most common names in the civil parish of Belclare, as found in Griffiths Valuation:

Most common surnames in Belclare in 1855

Surname Households

Craven 10
Cullinane 9
Higgins 9
Keane 8
Ryan 8
Donohoe 7
Hession 7
Burke 6
Moran 6
Steed 6
____

The search engine accepted the first very first name on the list above, “Craven,” as Catherine’s maiden name. The full names of the parents for Mary in the baptism index are Martin Feeny and Catherine Craven:

1 match for the search criteria: Feeny Mary 1838 Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)

Father's Surname: Feeny
Mother's Surname: Craven
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1838

____

I then found the IFHF marriage index for Martin Feeny and Catherine “Cravin,” showing they were married in the Annaghdown Catholic Church in 1837:

1 match for the search criteria: Feeny Martin 1837 Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Galway (West)
First Name: Martin
Spouse's Surname: Cravin
Spouse's First Name: Catherine
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1837

Parish/District: Parish: ANNAGHDOWN (RC)
____

You can actually view the Annaghdpwn Catholic Parish registers without having to go through the hit-and-miss process of finding names through the IFHF website. The Latter Day Saints (LDS) have filmed the Annaghdown Catholic registers twice. The registers of baptism and marriage, as noted earlier, begin in 1834. Information and microfilm number for both films can be seen below:

Parish registers of Annaghdown, 1834-1909.

Authors: Catholic Church. Parish of Annaghdown (Galway) (Main Author)
Format: Manuscript/Manuscript on Film
Language: English
Publication:
Dublin [Ireland] : National Library of Ireland, 1973
Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1984
Physical: on 2 microfilm reels ; 16 and 35 mm.

Notes

Microfilm of original records at Tuam, Co. Galway.

Some writing is faded and illegible.

The Catholic parish of Annaghdown, now called Corrandulla, includes the civil parish of Annaghdown.

Baptisms 1834-1869, 1875-1880, 1880-1909 Marriages 1834-1868, 1875-1880, 1880-1909

Family History Library BRITISH Film: 1279206 Items 1-2

AND

Baptisms 1834-1869, 1875-1880 Marriages 1834-1868, 1875-1880

Family History Library BRITISH Film: 926216
____

The Annaghdown Catholic registers can be found in two separate microfilms. The first is microfilm number 1279206 Items 1-2. The second is microfilm number 926216. One film may be of better quality than the other. You can order the films from your nearest Family History Center.

The Annaghdown Catholic Church is called St. Brendan’s, after Brendan the Navigator. It is not actually located in Annaghdown but in the nearby townland of Corrandulla. Martin and Honor and their children may have lived in Annaghdown, Corrandulla, or perhaps some other town in the civil parish of Annaghdown. One of the baptism transcriptions may tell you the name of the town where the family had lived.

To see where St. Brendan’s Catholic Church is located on a Google Map of Corrundulla, go to:
http://tinyurl.com/mohaerm

Once at the map go to the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage and Zoom-in slightly so that you can see that the Letter A is pointing to the Corandulla Catholic Church. Above the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage is a little yellow Peg-man. Grab the Peg-man with your mouse and pointer and drag him to the road to the right of the letter A and then let go, and you’ll be dropped off near the front of the church. You may have to pan the image left or right and then navigate your way up the road to arrive at the church, which is down a wide driveway.

For more information about Corrundulla and the church, go to the following links:

www.corrandullachurch.com

http://corrandulla.galway-ireland.ie/

To read about Annaghdown, go to the Wikipedia link at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annaghdown

I also found a description of Annaghdown in the 1837 edition of Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. You can access the Topographical Dictionary at the Library Ireland website link at: http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/index.php

The description of Annaghdown is below:

ANNAGHDOWN, or ENAGHDUNE, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 ½ miles (N.) from Galway, on the road from Galway to Headford; containing 6093 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by Lough Corrib, and comprises 16,508 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a place of considerable antiquity, and was formerly the seat of an independent bishoprick, of which some notice will be found in the account of the archiepiscopal see of Tuam, with which it has for centuries been incorporated. St. Brendan of Clonfert built a nunnery here under the invocation of the Blessed Virgin, for his sister Briga, which, in 1195, was confirmed by Pope Celestine III., together with the town of Kelgel, to nuns of the Arroasian order: at the suppression it was granted to the Earl of Clanricarde. An abbey, dedicated to St. Mary, and called the abbey of St. Mary de portu patrum, was founded at an early period for White Premonstratensian canons; and here was a Franciscan friary, the head of a custody, to which the monasteries of Connaught and Ulster were subordinate. There was also another religious house, called the College of St. Brendan, in which four priests or vicars were supported, and which was not subjected to royal inquisition until the 28th of Elizabeth; and at Kilcoonagh, in the vicinity, was an abbey, which Tipraid, Prince of Hy Fiacria, granted to St. Columb, who placed over it St. Cuannan, from whom it derived its name.

The seats are Cregg Castle, that of Fras. Blake, Esq., and Waterdale, of Jas. Blake, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, to which those of Killascobe and Laccagh are episcopally united, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is impropriate in John Kirwan, Esq. The tithes amount to £553. 16. 11 ¼., of which £138. 9. 3. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent; and of the entire union, to £675. 9. 4 ¾, The church is a small neat building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £500, in 1798. The glebe-house was also built by aid of a gift of £350 and a loan of £450, in 1818, from the same Board: the glebe comprises 20 acres. The R. C. parish is coextensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel is at Corondola, and divine service is also regularly performed in a school-house at Woodpark. Schools at Annaghdown and Woodpark were each endowed with £100 late currency by the Rev.
Redmond Hardagan, for the gratuitous instruction of 30 children in each; about 160 children are at present taught in these schools. There are also six hedge schools, in which are about 300 children; and a Sunday school is supported by the vicar.
____

GRIFFITHS VALUATION

Earlier I had made mention of an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation. The valuation was completed in County Galway by the year 1855. Unlike a census, Griffiths Valuation did not enumerate individual members of a family, such as husband, wife, and children in a household residence. Those named in the valuation were individuals who paid to lease property. Each person who paid to lease the property was called an “Occupier.” The other person listed in Griffiths Valuation was the person who owned the property, or who worked as the middleman for the owner. This person was called the “Immediate Lessor.” In many cases, people with the same last names leased property in the same town.

You can access Griffiths Valuation transcriptions and original copies for free at the askaboutireland website link at: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

I looked for Martin Daverin (and alternate spellings of the surname) in Griffiths Valuation in the civil parish of Annydown (Annaghdown), where the 1881 census had indicated that he, his wife Mary, and their sons Patrick and Thomas were born. I didn’t find Martin in Griffiths Valuation nor any Daverins in Griffiths Valuation leasing property in the Annaghdown civil parish. Martin could have been living in the civil parish of Annaghdown, but if he didn’t pay to lease the house he was living in, that is, if the lease was recorded under someone else’s name, he would not have been enumerated in the valuation.

Indexes from the IFHF show that Martin’s wife was Mary Feeny/Feeney. I looked for any Feeny/Feeneys in Griffiths Valuation in the civil parish of Annaghdown, and uncovered three entries for the surname spelled “Feeny” and two for the surname spelled “Feeney.” The three Occupiers recorded under the name Feeny in Annaghdown are Thomas, James, and Alice. Griffiths Valuation shows that Thomas was living in the townland of Lisheenanoran, James in the townland of Aucloggeen, and Alice in the townland of Tonagarraun.

The two Occupiers recorded under the name Feeney are Patrick, leasing property in the townland of Ardgaineen, and James, leasing property in the townland of Cartron.

I don’t know if any of these Feenys/Feeneys were related to Mary Feeny Daverin.

I’ve transcribed the Griffiths Valuation for Patrick Feeney in the townland of Ardgaineen, civil parish of Annaghdown, with comments about the record afterward:

No. and Letters of Reference to Map: 3
Civil Parish: Annaghdown
Townland: Ardgaineen
Occupier: Patrick Feeney
Immediate Lessor: Richard Kirwan
Description of Tenement: House, offices, and land
Area of Land: 20 Acres, 0 Roods, 14 Perches
Rateable Annual Valuation of Land: 7 Pounds
Rateable Annual Valuation of Buildings: 1 Pound, 5 Shillings
Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property: 8 Pounds, 5 Shillings
____

Griffiths Valuation shows that Patrick Feeney is leasing a house, “offices,” and land from an Immediate Lessor named Richard Kirwan. Richard was likely the middleman for the owner of the property. The land was valued at 7 Pounds, while the house and offices were valued at 1 Pound, 5 Shillings. The total valuation of Patrick’s lease was 8 Pounds and 5 Shillings. Patrick would have paid a percentage of the value toward the tax. An office in a Griffiths Valuation record could be any type of outbuilding such as a barn, stable. blacksmith shop, piggery, etc. At the top of the Griffiths Valuation entry is map number 3. This refers to the location of Patrick’s lease on an Ordnance Survey Map from the time period.

I hope that at least some of this information is what you’ve been looking for.

Best Wishes,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 6:40PM GMT
I haven't taken it all in yet, but it's more than I ever could have wished for!
Thankyou so very much.

Avril.

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 6:56PM GMT
I uncovered 10 birth indexes. All the births were recorded in Basford. The names and years of births for the children are:

Female child (1911); May (1913); Winifred (1915); Kathleen (1916); Eric (1918); Kenneth (1920); Lily (1922); Richard H. (1924); Rosalie (1926); and Margery (1929).

I know the above is correct, Eric was my grandad, and my Mum can remember her Uncle Richard, Aunts Rosie and Kathleen.

But some of the dates for other people in my family tree seem to be a little off. I'll have to double check, as there are a lot of John Tebbutt's, going back through the generations, maybe I missed one somewhere...

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 9:06PM GMT
You're welcome Avril.

Good Luck with your research.

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic