Search for content in message boards

Nichols of Salisbury, CT

Nichols of Salisbury, CT

Roger Nichols (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nichols
Looking for parents, birth date and birthplace of James NICHOLS who was of Salisbury, CT, at the time he became one of the original grantees of Panton, Addison Co., VT., 3 November 1761. May be the James NICHOLS "of Hinsdale" who married Anna FIELD, Northfield, MA, 1774.

Roger Nichols

Nichols

Wendy Brown (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT

Would James Nichols be related to the Nichols of Woodbury, Ct. or the Stratford, Fairfield, Ct. ? Have extensive material on these Nichols and am willing to share.
Wendy Brown
Posted: 14 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Nichols, Cassidy
Wendy: I would be interested in what you have on the Nichols out of Stratford. I believe my Nichols line connects somehow. Here is what I have. Charles H.Nichols b.in Weston,Ct around 1852 m. Delia(Jennie) Cassidy in 1877, in New Milford,CT. They than lived in Fairfield in the Greenfield Hill district, where they had William H., John H., At some point they had moved to Watertown, where they had the following chidren: Carl A., female Nichols, and George E.H.. William was the only one to marry and have children.

Charles H. Nichols parents were Ruth Brown and William Nichols. Other children I believe were, Orlando, Issaic, and Samuel B., Possibly another one. I also believe that Charles' father William's parents names were William Nichols and Maria Jennings. Also believe that somewhere in this family there is a Hanford Nichols, because many of the boys middle names were Hanford. Any of this in your history.

Thanks Margaret

Re: Nichols

Posted: 10 Sep 2011 1:16PM GMT
I am intrested in James Nichols who was in Addison Co., VT in the late 1700's. Name is found among orignal settlers of Panton, New Haven, Middlebury, and Cornwall. May be father an son. Do you know of relationship to either David or Isaac Nichols?

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 9:11PM GMT
Unfortunately all my genealogical records are packed for moving so I can't give you any information. I did investigate James Nichols, Addison Co., enough to know he wasn't my James Nichols and will be happy to give details when my records are unpacked.

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 11:09PM GMT
Thanks, I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 2:10AM GMT
I am also researching James Nichols of Salisbury, CT and Panton, VT. Like many of the speculators in VT lands, he may have never left Salisbury. He was "of Salisbury" in 1775 according to a legal notice after his death.

His son was the Rev. James Nichols who ended up in Arlington, VT in 1786 and later Sandgate, VT. A good biography of the family appears in Biographical Sketches of the Graduates of Yale College Vol III (found by googling "james nichols" salisbury ct and then scrolling through the search results.

I'm trying to find a David Nichols connected with this family whose daughter Phebe married John Knickerbocker of Salisbury (I speculate).

James Lloyd

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 11:30AM GMT
There was a David Nichols living in Middlebury, VT in 1830.
Also in Middlebury, buried in Hammond Cemetery, is an Isaac Nichols and a Jonathan Nichols. (Transcript is on line).

There is a piece on David Nichols posted by Middlebury College that is on line. Doesn't give a lot on where he came from.

No idea if Isaac and Jonathan were related, only that they
were in Middlebury at about the same time.

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 2:39PM GMT
Addison town, Vt., was chartered by Benning Wentworth, Governor of New Hampshire Province, October 14,1761. Later Wentworth issued the Panton, Vt. charter to James Niochols and 64 other. James(3)Nichols was a son of Thomas(2) and a brother of Thomas(3). Thomas(1) was of East Greenwich, R.I, and married Mercy Reynolds,daughter of James and Deborah Reynolds. Thomas(3) Nichols m (2)Elizabeth Reynolds dau. Jmes and Hannah (Jenkins) Reynolds of N.Kingstown,R.I. (from my documented genealogy "Grandmother's Bible." all data substantiated by me. The Nichols families were prominent in early Vermont.

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 3:37PM GMT
Thanks for that information. Do you know anything of David Nichols who lived in Middlebury, VT 1830? He lived
next to Sally Williamson, a widow with several children.

I did find some information on-line for David but it did not give any clue to his heritage. There was also Isaac
Nichols and Johnathan Nichols, buried in Hammond Cemetery.

Isaac Nichols is buried next to descendants of Sally Williamson. It is actually the Williamson connection I am searching for.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions