Search for content in message boards

Disappointed DNA

Disappointed DNA

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I received my results several months ago but all that was included was matches of other peoples family trees. That is, when they weren't private or otherwise unavailable. I figured I'd get something regarding haplogroups, mDNA, YDNA
and stuff like that when I spit in the tube. Didn't my $99
cover cover this?

Re: Disappointed DNA

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 11:51PM GMT
You took an autosomal DNA test not a yDNA or mtDNA so no, no stuff like that.

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 4:30AM GMT
Ancestry DNA doesn't include information about male or female line haplogroups. Most autosomal testing companies don't. I understand that 23andMe provides a very basic low-level haplogroup but FamilyTreeDNA and Ancestry do not.

The value in autosomal testing lies in matching your existing tree with those of distant cousins. The results are most useful in supplementing or confirming data you already have or augmenting already existing conclusions. The test will NOT provide you with a family tree. If you don't already have a well documented family tree with at least some branches back 6+ generations, genealogy DNA testing will be of limited value.

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2013 7:11PM GMT
You get your paternal haplogroup and a Y-DNA test and a maternal haplogroup from an MtDNA test, which show the results from your direct paternal and maternal lines, respectively. The autosomal testing reports DNA that could have been passed down to you from theoretically any of your direct ancestors, including those in the middle portion of your family tree. Your autosomal DNA could therefore have been passed down from people having a wide variety of haplogroups.

I think that some of the confusion/disappointment expressed by some of the autosomal testing customers might have been avoided had Ancestry,com chosen a more descriptive name for its autosomal testing. Too bad Family Tree DNA had already taken the name of "Family Finder."

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 2:38AM GMT
I too have been disappointed... I'd say 70% of my matches have a private tree or no tree at all.. I do understand that some do not know who their ancestors are, which I keep in mind. My tree, being public, helps them tremendously.. The majority of those with private trees do not respond to requests to share information. It would be nice if we had an option to block those with private trees from being able to view our public trees.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions