Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 sync and media files

FTM 2012 sync and media files

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 11:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I upload a tree to ancestry.com from FTM 2011 I can exclude media files. Am I correct that this is not possible with the sync feature of FTM 2012 and a linked tree on ancestry.com? I would at least expect a way to mark media as private or as an item to be ignored in the sync process. Otherwise it would seem that ancestry.com is exposing itself to a great deal of copyright protected material finding its way onto their web site. We all have media files we have downloaded from ancestry.com that I would never think of posting on another web site, and I'm sure that many of us likewise have media files from sites or sources other than ancestry.com that should likewise not be posted on ancestry.com. I would think that all media files should be by default excluded from uploads or via the sync process unless individually marked otherwise by the user to be included. This might demonstrate ancestry.com's good faith effort in controlling the amount of copyrighted material showing up on their website.

Re: FTM 2012 sync and media files

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 11:42PM GMT
As of this time the only way to stop media from uploading is to attach it to a private fact, either directly or attached to a citation for that fact.

Yes, copyright is a problem. I've opted to keep the bulk of my media (census images, parish registers, etc) outside of FTM for that reason.

Rosemary

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 12:21AM GMT
What a pain! I have nearly 1000 media files and the idea of uploading that many files would be prohibitve not to mention the copyright issue. In FTM 2011 that issue was simply avoided by excluding media files on the upload.

As much as I've looked forward to the option of being able to sync onsite files with FTM files I guess I'll not be upgrading my FTM software untill this issue is resolved.

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 3:25AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 27 Dec 2012 6:46PM GMT

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 5:09AM GMT
Who cares anyways - don't put anything on there that you don't want anyone else to see

We should all care! I have always been more then willing to share that which is mine to share. I take great satisfaction when I see those in the ancestry.com community link to, or download photos that belong to me that I've uploaded to ancestry.com or other genealogy web sites. I offer them willingly and freely. However, when it comes to intellectual property of others I find it improper if not ILLEGAL, without permission, to post them on the internet.

I've been a user of FTM since the very first version of the program and will continue to be a user. I merely pointed out that until there is an easier way to exclude media files from the new sync function I personally don't find, at this time, a need to upgrade. I'm sure that FTM will recognize the problem and fix it in the future if not, and they come up with a feature that I feel I just can't do without I'll upgrade and opt not to use the sync feature.

In the mean time we should all be mindful of the intellectual property of others and remember if we don't respect the terms of agreement which allows access to the various sources information then access may be denied to all of us.

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 5:37AM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2012 5:38AM GMT
I like sharing the photos - don't put copyright material on your tree. Plus anything you find on the web should be allowed on here to share. It's on the website...for you to copy. Why not let other copy it to their tree. and you can exclude your media files from being put on the online tree. I'm pretty sure there is a function. I don't really care but oviously other do...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions