Posted: 3 Dec 2011 9:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Evans
This post was deleted by the author on 29 Dec 2013 6:10AM GMT

Re: Thomas Evans

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 5:34PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2011 7:10PM GMT
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this person! He appears on 13 family trees on Ancestry, but several of them have him born in Carno, Montgomeryshire!

There have also been many queries on various message boards and genealogy lists about him.

Apart from the criminal and transportation records, none of these trees contain any reliable sources!!! In reality they all seemed to be copied from two original trees?

The only glimmer of hope is that some do contain this note:

"convict numb 2260 voyage numb 327 height 5ft 8 inches hair black eye brows black eyes brown nose med chin broard head large transpoted for stealing mare native place newport"

but again all copied (with spelling errors!) from one person!!! However, it does look as if these might be details from his prison record? If you can get access to the original it would at least confirm the Newport connection.

I suspect that the answer lies in Tasmania. Have you tried the Tasmanian Archive? His record is at:

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&typ...

but neither of the two links on the page work for me. I'm guessing that one of them might lead to that prison record?

A brief report from a local newspaper:

Caernarfon and Denbighshire Herald - 30 October 1847

"Thomas Evans of Llandrillo yn Rhos was convicted of stealing a mare, the property of Cadwaladr Evans on the 21
of March last. Mr Beavan conducted the prosecution. Transported for ten years."

Llandrillo yn Rhos is a town on the coast of Denbighshire (it is also known in English as "Rhos on Sea").

It appears that the theft took place near the town of Bala in Merionethshire.

The Denbighshire Quarter Sessions Roll notes:

"Thomas Evans late of the parish of Llandrillo in Rhos with force and arms in the year of our lord 1847 in the county above said one mare the price of 10 pounds of goods and chattels of one Cadwaladr Evans then and there being found feloniously did steal, take and lead away against the peace of our said lady the queen and her crown and dignity pleaded not guilty, jury said guilty."

"Brought before us charged with having on the 20th day of March last at the parish of Llafawr in the county of Merioneth feloniously stolen, taken and led away a certain mare the property of Cadwaladr Evans." ("Llanfawr" is known known as "Llanfor")

"The prisoner was in custody to the county, the prisoner had been in my custody on the 31st day of March. But then he escaped from my custody between Llandulas and Abergele and carried away a pair of hand-cuffs which he brought from Llan Rhos." (Llandulas and Abergele are also coastal towns near Llandrillo yn Rhos)

"He told that his father in law John Hughes was as guilty as he was."

So Thomas was originally married to a Hughes?

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 9:55PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 29 Dec 2013 6:11AM GMT

Posted: 8 Dec 2011 6:25AM GMT

Posted: 8 Dec 2011 10:01AM GMT
Hi,
Marriage registration.

Thomas Evans - Anne Hughes

Conway 27 439 Mar.Qtr 1847

Cheapest place to obtain the cert. is the GRO at Southport England,you can order by email or telephone.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 1:18AM GMT
You can get a copy from family search.org in the wales marriages.
You just have to look around till you find the right one./
They were married around March of 1847 in Llandrillo Yn Rhos

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 8:22AM GMT
G'day,
How are you ?
We were just wondering where you acquired the article about Thomas Evans' theft ? We have not been able to find it...
Cheers, Caine & Ashley

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 9:36PM GMT

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 4:23PM GMT
hey
Thomas Evans is my gggg grandfather
Thomas Evans father Morgan Evans born 1795 died in 1861.
Morgans father and mother was john Evans 1773-1866 and Mowdy Evans nee Love 1774-1813.
Morgans siblings were Thomas 1798, Christmas 1800, Lewis 1802 and David 1803. i have a copy of Davids death cert.
ive found 18 grandchildren of John and Mowdy so far.
John is second eldest out of 10 children.

Posted: 24 Dec 2013 6:47PM GMT
Most of the information teplied to this posting has come from messages posted to the Clwyd list by myself.
The information about Thomas and his family in wales his conviction etc.
Also there is no proof that The Thomas narried to th williams woman is our Thomas.
The Child Catherine I found on the 1851 census with Anne Evans with the Hughes family seems to be Anne and Thomas dtr.
They were mistranscribed as Edwards.
I only found them because I was loking for a Humphrey Edwards.
The information on Thomas conviction and the mention of John Hughes comes from the fact that I went to Ruthin Archives in wales.
And looked at the Rolls for his conviction.
That information is true.
But not all the information from that document could be found.
As I said it was a roll of paper.
All convictions for a year rolled up together.
On blue paper. Only so much could be read.Those rolls cannot be opened fully.
And as the Archivest told me it would cost a greay deal of money to unroll.
Check all the information.
Just a fault of the powers that be in the past.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions