Search for content in message boards

1781 (date of death) Edward Wright of Surry Co., Va., (place of death)

1781 (date of death) Edward Wright of Surry Co., Va., (place of death)

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 4:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Stacey
In the process of tracing the origins of 1832 (year of death) JOHN WRIGHT of Clarke Co., Ga., (place of death) I accumulated information on 1781 Edward Wright of Surry County, Virginia, which is shown below. Although this family does not show an obvious relationship to the man I am tracing, I am posting this information for the benefit of those others who are trying to trace Wright ancestors in colonial Virginia.[1]
1. EDWARD1 WRIGHT was born about 1725 and died before June 26, 1781 in Surry County, Virginia. He married REBECCA before 1756.
The origins of Edward1 Wright are not known. The only will for someone named Wright prior to Edward is that for Thomas Wright, who died in 1714.[2] There are no land patents prior to 1750 for anyone named Wright in Surry County, Virginia. To me the lack of records indicates that he came from elsewhere.
Edward Wright married Rebecca, who is named in his will, and also in the Register of Albemarle Parish, Surry Co., Va. Extracts of these records show the following baptisms for Edward and Rebecca Wright:[3]
1. John Wright, November 4, 1756, with godparents Simon Stacey, William Ellis and Katherine Stacey.
2. Edward Wright, June 2, 1764 with godparents, Arthur Richardson, Simon Stacey, jr., and Mary Stacey.
3. James Wright, April 8, 1767, with godparents Petway Johnson, William Warburton, and Elizabeth Morris.
4. Elizabeth Wright, February 2, 1769 with godparents Archer Richardson, Elizabeth Ellis, and Martha Stacey.
The frequency with which persons named Stacey served as godparents suggests that Rebecca’s maiden name may have been Stacey, as does the fact that Edward and Rebecca Wright served as godparents to Stacey children.
The will of Edward1 Wright was written in Surry Co., Va., April 23, 1781, and proved June 26, 1781. In this will he named his sons John and William as executors, and left bequests to sons Willis, Isham and Edward Wright and daughter Elizabeth and to his minor children Rebecca and James, who along with his wife Rebecca were left the farm.[4]
From the will we can see that only four of Edward and Rebecca Wright’s eight surviving children were recorded in the Albemarle Parish records. The marriage records of Surry, Sussex, and Southampton Counties, Va., are extant. From these records, the following data seem relevant. However, there are a number of other marriage bonds involving people named Wright that cannot be directly related to the children of Edward1 Wright.
Children of Edward Wright and Rebecca are:
i. JOHN2 WRIGHT, bp. November 4, 1756, Surry Co., Va.; d. 1818 Surry Co., Va.; m. (1) LAVINIA TUDOR March 20, 1788, Sussex Co., Va., daughter of HENRY TUDOR; m. (2) MIRANDA SMITH December 26, 1797, Surry Co., Va., daughter of NICHOLAS SMITH.[5]
The marriage records show John Wright to Luvenia Tuder, daughter of Henry Tuder, March 20, 1788, in Sussex Co., Virginia. [6] Luvenia Tuder or Lavina Tudor, was born March 14, 1767, in Albemarle Parish, Surry Co., Virginia, daughter of Henry Tudor, Jr., and Sarah _____.[7] Henry Tudor, Jr., is surely the son of Henry Tudor and Elizabeth, whose children Matthew, Bridget and Hannah are also recorded in the register. John Wright married Maranda (or Marenda) Smith on Dec. 26, 1797, in Surry Co., Virginia.[8] The marriage was performed by Rev. Nathaniel Berriman, Methodist minister. She was the daughter of Nicholas Smith, who died in Surry County about 1785.[9] Review of the marriage records for Surry, Sussex, and Southampton Counties shows a number of marriages involving the Wright family performed by Methodist ministers, including the brothers and sisters of John and Isham Wright as named in Edward Wright’s will. Sally Wright married John Bracey, February 15, 1808, with the consent of John Wright; surety, Joshua Corbett, witness
The Virginia census for 1810 shows John, John jr., and William Wright in Surry County, Reuben Wright in Sussex County, and Ann, James, Willie and William Wright in Southampton County.
The Library of Virginia will index shows that the inventory of the estate of John Wright, Sr., Surry County, was made in 1816, (Wills, etc. 3, 1815-1821, pp. 170-171.) John Wright, Jr.’s., estate was recorded in 1825, (Wills, etc., 4, 334-339.)
From these data it is reasonable to infer that John Wright had at least three children: 1. JOHN3 WRIGHT, JR., 2. WILLIAM3 WRIGHT, and 3. SARAH3 WRIGHT.
ii. ISHAM2 WRIGHT, b. about 1759, Surry Co., Va.; d. before 1806 Surry Co., Va.; m. NANCY ANN CARTER April 12, 1786, Surry Co., Va., daughter of MOURNING (HUNNICUT?) CARTER. She married (2) MICHAJAH LITTLE November 10, 1806, Surry Co., Va.
Marriages of Surry County include Isham Wright and Nancy Carter, daughter of Mourning Carter (mother) on April 12, 1786.[10] Isham Wright also served as security on the marriage bond of Samuel Little who married Charity Carter December 11, 1786 Surry Co., Va., with the consent of her mother, Mourning Carter.[11] Isham probably died in 1806, as his widow remarried that year.[12] The Library of Virginia will index shows that the inventory of the estate of Isham Wright was made in 1806 in Surry County, (Wills, etc., 2, 1804-1815, pp. 89-90).
A number of people have linked Isham2 Wright with the Isham Wright whose family were pioneers in Morgan Co., Alabama, but I have found no evidence to prove this contention.
iii. WILLIAM2 WRIGHT, b. about 1761, Surry Co., Va.; m. ANN DREW March 2, 1786, Southampton Co., Va., daughter of NANCY ( ____) DREW.
The Virginia census for 1810 shows Ann, James, Willie and William Wright in Southampton County. I think the “Willie” is probably Willis.
The marriage bond says James Wright, but William Wright is listed in three places and in minister’s return. Ann Drew was daughter of Mrs. Nancy Drew. Consent of Col. William Blunt is given. Sur. John Wright, wit. Francis Young, Jr., William Blunt.[13]
iv. EDWARD2 WRIGHT, bp. June 2, 1764, Surry Co., Va.
v. WILLIS2 WRIGHT, b. about 1766, Surry Co., Va.; m. MARY LONG July 23, 1806 Sussex Co., Va.[14]
vi. JAMES2 WRIGHT, bp. April 8, 1767, Surry Co., Va.; m. (1) LUCY CARROLL March 18, 1784, Southampton Co., Va.[15]; m. (2) KATIE GLOVER July 31, 1787, Sussex Co., Va.[16]
vii. ELIZABETH2 WRIGHT, bp. February 2, 1769, Surry Co., Va.; m. MICHAJAH ELLIS December 16, 1786, Sussex Co., Va. [17]
viii. REBECCA2 WRIGHT, b. about 1770, Surry Co., Va.; m. SALTER WILLIAM JONES December 28, 1789, Surry Co., Va.
Wright Marriage Bonds of Surry County, Virginia.[18]
1. Judkins, Nicholas and Polly Ingram, 30 NOV 1818. Sur. Augustine Wright, Married by Rev. Nathaniel Berriman, Methodist minister, p. 111.
2. Wright, Augustine and Keziah Judkins, 30 N0V 1818. Sur. Nicholas Judkins; Wit. John Williams and Josiah Turner. Married by Rev. Nathaniel Berriman, Methodist Minister p. 110.
3. Wright, James and Nancy Slade, 17 MAR 1812. “Both of lawful age.” Wit. William Stade and Betty Stade. Married 19 Mar 1812 by Rev. Nathaniel Berriman, Methodist Minister., p. 88.
4. Wright, Nancy and William King 20 Nov 1823. Wit. James Bennett. Married by Rev. Isaiah Harris, elder in Methodist Church, p. 127.
5. Wright, Polly and William Judkins, 18 AUG 1812. Wit. Austin Wright. Married by Rev. Nathaniel Berriman, Methodist minister, p. 89.
6. Wright, Sarah and Thomas Judkins, 26 MAR 1819. Sur. Josiah Turner. Married by Rev. Nathaniel Berriman, p. 113.
7. Wright, Winefred and Miles Johnson, 18 SEP 1814. “21 years of age” Wit. William Spratley. Married by Rev. Nathaniel Berriman who says Elizabeth Wright, p. 95.
Wright Marriage Bonds of Sussex County, Virginia.[19]
1. Wright, Reuben and Anna Gilbert, 21 NOV 1798. Sur. Gary Barber, p. 91.
Wright Marriage Bonds of Southampton County, Virginia.[20]
1. Wright, Christian and Baker Joyner, 25 JAN 1794. She is daughter of Sarah Wright. Sur. Absalom Joyner, p. 294.
2. Wright, Elizabeth and George H. Jones, 4 AUG 1797. Sur. John Wright, wit. Samuel Kello, p. 115.[21]
3. Wright, Elizabeth and Beasant Crumpler, 21 MAY 1799. Consent of John Wright, Jr. Sur. John Wright, at top of bond, and Benjamin Wright at bottom of bond. Wit. Samuel Kello, Jr., p. 127.
4. Wright, Mary and Benjamin Crumpler, 16 JUL 1785. Sur. John Wright, wit. Samuel Kello. Married 28 July by Rev. David Barrow, p. 41.
5. Kellow, William and Elizabeth Ridley Taylor, 23 AUG 1778. Sur. Samuel Brown, wit. Lucy Taylor and John Wright, p. 27. (She was probably the widow of Mr. Taylor according to a note by Mrs. Knorr.)
6. Wright, Hannah and George Kemp, 1 MAR 1792. Sur. Matthew Kemp, wit. William Wolley and Samuel Kello, p. 80.
7. Wright, Lydia and Jordan Joyner, 15 JAN 1788. Sur. Clovis Joyner. Married 31 Jan by Rev. D. C. Barrow, p. 54.
8. Wright, Rhoda and John Blythe, 9 SEP 1790. She is daughter of Joseph and Ann Wright. Sur. Peter Denson, wit. Absalom Joyner, p. 67.

[1] I am indebted to Robert N. Grant, who has written extensively on Wright families of colonial Virginia, who has helped me with my search, and whose nomenclature has been used here.
[2] Surry Co., Va., WB 6:135. The will was written Aug. 5, 1714, and probated Mar. 18, 1714/15. He names his wife Mary as executrix, and names eldest son Timothy and sons Thomas and Joseph. Timothy Wright was appointed substitute administrator on Dec. 18, 1717. (WB 7:83.) Both cited in Davis, Eliza T. Wills and Administrations of Surry County, Virginia, 1671-1750. (repr. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980.)
[3] Boddie, John Bennett. Register of Albemarle Parish, Surry and Sussex County, Virginia, 1717-1778. (repr. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1974.), p. 156
[4] Surry Co., Va., WB 11:184.
[5] The will of Nicholas Smith was written November 19, 1784 and proved April 26, 1785 in Surry Co., Virginia. It names Children “Mirandy” and Susanna. Surry Co., Va., WB 12:72. Cited in Davis, Eliza T. Wills and Administrations of Surry County, Virginia, 1671-1750. (repr. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980.)
[6] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Minister’s Returns for Sussex County, Virginia, 1754-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark: Perdue Co., 1950.) p. 50.
[7] Boddie, John Bennett. The Register of Albemarle Parish, Surry and Sussex County, Virginia, 1717-1778. (repr. Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., 1974.)
[8] Knorr, Surry Co., Va., p.49.
[9] The will of Nicholas Smith was written Nov. 19, 1784, and recorded April 26, 1785. He lists his children as “Mirandy” and Susanna. Surry Co., Va., Will Book 12, p. 72. (In Hart, Lyndon H. Surry County, Virginia, Wills, Estate Accounts and Inventories, 1730-188. (Easley, S. C.: Southern Historical press, 1983.)
[10] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Minister’s Returns for Surry County., Virginia, 1768-1825. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co, 1960.) p.18.
[11] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Surry County, Virginia, 1768-1825. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1960,) p. 19.
[12] Knorr, C. L. Marriage Bonds and Minister’s Returns for Surry County, Virginia, 1768-1825. p. 72: Micahah Little and Ann Wright, widow of Isham Wright, surety, Richard Carter, Nov. 10, 1806.
[13] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Southampton County, Virginia, 1750-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1955,) p.44.
[14] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Sussex County, Virginia, 1754-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1952,) p. 121.
[15] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Southampton County, Virginia, 1750-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1955,) p. 38.
[16] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Sussex County, Virginia, 1754-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1952,) p. 47.
[17] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Sussex County, Virginia, 1754-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1952,) p. 45.
[18] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Surry County, Virginia, 1768-1825. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1960.)
[19] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Sussex County, Virginia, 1754-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1952.)
[20] Knorr, Catherine L. Marriage Bonds and Ministers’ Returns of Southampton County, Virginia, 1750-1810. (Pine Bluff, Ark.: Perdue Co., 1955.)
[21] I am not certain if this is Elizabeth2 Wright or the widow of Edward2 Wright, who is not accounted for. However, the presence of John Wright as surety indicates a relationship to the family of Edward1 Wright. The fact that Samuel Kello witnessed both of these bonds is interesting. The marriage listed for Elizabeth2 Wright was based upon the fact it was in Surry Co., Va., whereas these marriages are in Southampton Co., Va. Interestingly, the marriage of Rebecca Wright and Salter William Jones was also witnessed by Samuel Kello. Research of the relationship of Samuel Kello to the Wright family might be rewarding.

Re: 1781 (date of death) Edward Wright of Surry Co., Va., (place of death)

Diane Ethridge (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT, GILBERT
Hello, thank you so much for posting this lengthy & informative message. The "Reuben Wright & Anna Gilbert" listed are my 4th gr grandparents who left Brunswick/Sussex Co. VA & went to Henry Co, IN where Reuben was a Methodist-Episcopal Minister in Knightstown, IN. Do you have any idea as to what branch of Wrights this group came from? Info in the Greene Co, OH (where some of Reuben's siblings moved) library stated that they came from "Golden Ball, England." I've been unable to find that particular area & even have had friends in England trying to help me. Just any clue, prior to those counties in VA, would be appreciated.

Posted: 29 Jan 2005 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 10:09PM GMT
Diane,
I got into studying 1781 Edward Wright of Surry Co., Va., as the result of chasing the name similarities. In my case this turned out to be a blind alley. After three more years of work, I have decided my line runs through Mecklenburg and Brunswick Co., Va. These folks seem to have gone south when they left, not north.
You and I corresponded about the Brunswick Co. connection, but I could not make a firm link. Glad to hear that one of these marriages may have made the link for you.
Edward Wright was the first in that line I could find in the Surry Co., Va., records. Unfortunately, a lot of people came into Surry from across the river--James City, and York Counties, which are almost hopelessly gone. The "Golden Ball" connection means nothing to me, and I cannot even guess to what it is supposed to refer.
Good luck.

L. F. Wright

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 4:38PM GMT
Almost seven years later & I still am no closer to learning the origins of my Reuben Wright who married Anna (or Joanna) Gilbert in Sussex Co. VA in 1798. Their children (the ones that I've managed to find & identify) were: Rebecca, Margaret, Lucy & possibly Elizabeth, James Gilbert & David Gerrard Wright. DNA places this Wright in the same group as a descendant of the Lunenburg Co. VA (Wright-Jarret clan) & the name of David Gerrard lends credence to this claim as well. Reuben & Anna went to Ceasar's Creek, Greene Co. OH, with the Wrights from Brunswick Co. VA prior to their move to Henry Co. IN. In 1840, they lived in Hancock Co. IN & in 1850, they were in Wayne Co. IN. Reuben died in 1856, Hancock Co. IN. He was involved in the Methodist-Episcopal denomination & was co-pastor of the church in Knightstown, IN. A John Wright was an early settler in Hancock Co. IN & also involved with the Knightstown church. I don't know if there was any connection or even if they were the same individual.

Correction on the marriage info for Reuben & Anna - their surety was Gray Barker, not Gary Barber. Gray was married to a Gilbert, who I believe was the sister to my Anna Gilbert. Gray was also related to the Washington-Wright line of Wrights but DNA showed that didn't apply to Reuben's line.

If anyone can tell me please if the Bedford Co. VA & the Brunswick Co. VA Wrights have been DNA profiled, I would very much appreciate it. My Reuben seems to fit into both families.

Thanks Lucius & also Bob Grant, for all your good work & for taking the time to post your research results.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic