Search for content in message boards

Bayou Salle, LA

Bayou Salle, LA

Posted: 6 Mar 2006 4:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Dwight
I have traced my family roots back to Bayou Salle, LA and am interested in learning more about the area and its demographics. Does anyone know any info about Bayou Salle that can be shared with me?

Any information would be a great help towards understanding my lineage better.

Thanks!

Re: Bayou Salle, LA

Margie Luke (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2006 4:32AM GMT
I have lived on Bayou Sale' for over 40 years and my husband's family has been there since the 1880's. I have researched all the plantations and families over the years and will be glad to share what I have with anyone who's interested. Let me know the names and dates you have and I will see what I can find.

Posted: 7 Mar 2006 10:53PM GMT
Surnames: Dwight, Johnson
Mrs. Luke,

First, thank you so much for you kind offer to share your knowledge with me. I am searching for who I believe to be my great-great-great grandparents Levi and Juliann Dwight and their daughter who would be my great-great grandmother Ellen Dwight. I have Ellen's death certificate which states the name of her father Levi, but after doing some research on ancestry.com, I believe her mother was Juliann. Any information you may have about this family would be helpful to me in learning more about my ancestors and where I come from.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: AuCoin,
Margie

I found your message on Rootsweb and I hope you can help me. I just received information that a distant relative of mine Jean Baptiste Valery (Valsin) AuCoin (1805 - 1880)was a coffee merchant and slave owner in St. Mary's Parish, Louisana.

I wonder if you have any information on him or if you might have an idea where I could find information on him.

I would appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers.

Paula Jones

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 11:53PM GMT
hello my name is Angela Persley. my grandmother was Willola Webb Simpson. i think is was her great-grandmother named Pricilla Bowles tha we are looking for. Pricilla was around 93 in the 1930's census. what we have been told and what her death certificate says is her father was Bayou Sally (Salley) (De La Salle). the writing is pretty good but his first name looks like it could be spelled Bayoun. what i have been told is that he was an indian chief (Chitimacha), we are looking for her tribal name and any info on her, her father as well as her children and husband. i think she 2 son's 1 named Richard and another named Steve. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: Luke, Rodriguez, Molaison, Champagne
We lived in Bayou Salle until a few years ago and I have some history on the property owners and other families that lived in the area. If you give some names and the time period when they lived there I can help you.

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 4:39AM GMT
Hi Margie!

I'm wondering if you have the names of the plantations in the St. Mary Parish area. I believe the Berwicks' were the slaveholders of my great-great-great grandparents and I'm trying to find the name of the planation they were associated with. Any information you can share with me will be appreciated, as always. Thanks!

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 9:36PM GMT
The Berwick family owned what is now Garret and Johnson plantations. They are located about 6-7 miles south of Centerville on Highway 317 (Bayou Sale Road). Berwicks were also associated with Ellerslie Plantation south of the Intracoastal Canal on the same road. They also owned land near Berwick, LA. If you give me some names and dates/years I may be able to find the place where your family lived.

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Berwick, Garret
During the Civil War era the Berwicks owned Garret Plantation and also what is now Johnson Plantation. They are adjacent lands located about 7 miles south of Centerville on Hwy 317 (Bayou Sale Road). If you give some names and dates/years I may be able to find a location.

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 3:22AM GMT
OK, I think I've heard of Garret plantation and Johnson plantation. My family members names are Levi and Ellen Dwight. The people I believe were the slave holders of my ancestors is Joseph Berwick. He was 31 years old in 1870 and I believe his father's name was David Berwick. The 1870 census shows them living in St. Mary Parish--Centerville or Western District.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic