Search for content in message boards

Which Parent Gave You What

Which Parent Gave You What

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 5:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is there a way to determine from the results of a DNA test which parent gave you what genotype? I think it is called genotype - it's the letters behind your SNP, like A;A or T;T or C;T.
I've used the Promethease program to run my raw data thru while waiting for Gedmatch to begin accepting again.

Re: Which Parent Gave You What

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 5:51PM GMT
If you have your parents tested then you can have the results phased which is a process that compares your data against each parent to determine who donated what. There's no way to know without some other data to compare yours to though.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 6:45PM GMT
... and, even with your parents data you can't tell in some cases such as when all three of you are heterozygous (i.e. one of each). For example, if you are AG and mom and dad are both AG, you don't know if your A came from mom or dad since they both have one, and the same with the G.

The other option for phasing data is by statistical analysis using frequencies in the general population and other fancy math which is what ancestry.com apparently does for matching purposes (but not in the raw data we get). I'm not sure if there are any third party tools that can do this - it sounds like a big deal (and proprietary of course).

David Mc

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 2:22AM GMT
Thanks for the answers - sounds a bit more complicated than possible at this time.

Can't test my parents as they are not around anymore.

I can however guess that my dad who was 50% NA gave me the gene for the shovel shaped front teeth and the thick straight hair.

I was just curious to see if I could find out anything more.

Thanks again,
Mariella
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions