Search for content in message boards

Privacy with synced FTM 2012 tree?

Privacy with synced FTM 2012 tree?

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 7:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
If I upgrade to FTM 2012 and sync my tree, and have it marked 'private', are the photos and stories also kept private?

(I had a tree on Ancestry a couple years ago, and it was marked 'private' but I later discovered other people could view and down load the stories and photos I had attached to individuals. And, well, frankly...it's the stories and photos I most want to keep private...or at least retain control of with whom I share them.)

...I'm in the process of recovering from a crashed computer, and luckily had a very recent backup from FTM 2010...but am trying to decide whether it might be beneficial to weather the sync problems and swap over to FTM 2012.

Re: Privacy with synced FTM 2012 tree?

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 8:33PM GMT
In the past, I had an experience with a private tree not truly being private also. I believe they have improved with private trees actually being private.

I am not sure about the process because you would have to mark your tree as private right away after creating it and I don't know if there would be a time period where the items would be in the default of public. Obviously, the quicker you check the private box the better. Remember you also have to decide whether to allow the tree to be indexed which is a second step. I have a private tree that is synced but the tree originated on ancestry not FTM. I haven't had any privacy issues with that one that I am aware of but there are some things I will never put on the internet.

I agree with you that it is the photos and stories (and things for living people) that are particularly at issue. I have recently noticed that I was able to view a living person in someone else's tree even when there was no death date and he is not that old. It was not that person's own tree but someone else who had him in their tree.

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 10:34PM GMT
I am new to FTM and I wondered if there was a way to keep the photos etc. from showing up. I want my tree to be public so that there is a possibility of making new connections but I am also scanning letters etc. to have a "permanent" record of in my program but I DON'T want that information to appear online as some of it is quite sensitive...

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 10:49PM GMT
Synced trees that are private remain private. Of course, if you invite someone to our tree, they can copy whatever they want from it regardless of whether their tree is public or private, so the possibility does exist that your private media could end up becoming public.

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 11:05PM GMT
Thanks!

Yeah, when I first started with Ancestry, I set up a tree online and thought it was private, then later realized it wasn't, so went in and changed it. But then I still had problems with people being able to copy stories, etc. from my private tree (items I had added after I'd gone back and reset it to private).

I like the idea of being able to access my tree from my desktop computer, or my phone, etc. As well as ease of mind when my laptop dies like it did this month.

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 11:10PM GMT
I've been working with FTM 2010, and it doesn't do the sync, like 2012 does...

I did see someone else's thread mention being able not sync info for some people...such as living people. So maybe there's a way to choose which individuals you sync. (Though I could see where this could cause issues, through having holes in your online tree.) So, since I don't have a copy of 2012 yet, I don't know that answer...but it would seem, having full capability of deciding which pieces of info are synced, and which individuals, would be a valuable option!

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 11:17PM GMT
Thanks! Totally understand about allowing others to view your tree, and them being able to use the info & media.

My issue came up a couple years ago, when I had my tree set to private, and was getting messages that other people had downloaded stories or photos from my tree. I was able to go in, and found an ancestry notation in the privacy stuff that stated that all stories and photos added to member trees were public. At that time there was no option to make them private...if you attached them to anyone in your tree, they were public, whether the tree itself was private or not.

Therefore, it has made me nervous to get FTM 2012 and do the sync, since I have a huge family tree, and lots of personal stories and photos from older generations of relatives, and their remembrances of other family members. It's not information I want to erase or lose, but also isn't something that should just be passed around without some discretion.

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 1:15AM GMT
You may want to check out the ancestry blog. I believe ancestry is better now than what you and I may have experienced in the past.

The issue now that I have seen yesterday is that a living person that I know, is listed in someone else's public tree and not shown as private. I have not seen this in years so I think this is a a glitch and not intentional.

I would never put highly sensitive items on ancestry or any other online location. I would keep that offline. For some items that are somewhat sensitive, I would go with a non-synced FTM tree or other desktop program.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions