Ancestry

Search for content in message boards

accidental death

accidental death

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kavemeier
My great grandfather, Dietrich Kavemeier, was killed in an accident about Sept. 30, 1890. I believe something fell on him while working at a railroad shop in Milwaukee, WI. I'm looking for a newspaper account or obit.

Re: accidental death

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 2:52AM GMT

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 7:20PM GMT
Thank you for your help and quick reply. It is very much appreciated.

Posted: 18 Jun 2015 5:59PM GMT
You may already know this, but the "Diedrich Kavemeier" who was killed 30 Sept 1890 in the accident was the son of Diedrich Kavemeier and Margarita Stehlow. The elder Diedrich died in December 1894 and was buried in Pilgrims Rest Cemetery, Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., WI on 12 December 1984.

Do you happen to have any information about Diedrich Kavemeier, Sr.'s immigration date?

Re: Kavemeier immigration + Milwaukee records?

Posted: 22 Jun 2015 3:53PM GMT
"... any information about Diedrich Kavemeier, Sr.'s immigration date?"

If you haven't already checked the collection of the Milwaukee County Historical Society, they have a lot of the paperwork filed for both complete and _incomplete_ Naturalization petitions. Their indeces and collections are not online. www.milwaukeehistory.net

Their collection of "Declaration of Intent" records (the first step prior to completing Naturalization) includes filed forms which were never completed with a Naturalization Petition after the wait period, or initial "Declaration" filings that stale-dated so another had to be filed. In the case of repeated forms, both are _not_ matched up to the completed Naturalization petition.

I have an example of an ancestor who did not complete part 2 of the citizenship process so his son who arrived as a 6 month old had to file for citizenship as an adult.

The data on the "Declaration of Intent" form is minimal, but generally includes the immigrant's signature. On one of my ancestor's forms, you can see how his signature evolved from purely German script on the initial filing (which stale-dated) to a mixture of German and English script on the later, repeat filing; more visual evidence of his evolving from a Germanic immigrant to an American citizen.

Posted: 22 Jun 2015 6:45PM GMT
I'm sorry but I have no immigration information on Diedrich Kavemeier Sr. I did not have some of the information you wrote either. I assume the date of his burial is 1894 not 1984. Thank you for the information.

PS My mother was Pearl M. Kavemeier.

Posted: 22 Jun 2015 6:54PM GMT
Here's the newspaper article about Diedrich's death
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=18900930...

Regards,
Chris

Re: Kavemeier in Milwaukee's German language press

Posted: 24 Jun 2015 12:02PM GMT
In case it's helpful to your research, some Kavemeier names listed in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950) include:
Carolina, Dietrich, Elenor, Heinrich / Henry, Hilbert, Hilda, Lenora (1 month old; Wm. & Bertha), Louis, Margaretha, Bertha (Pauers).

http://encore.mcfls.org/iii/encore/record/C__Rb3327521?lang=...

Re: Kavemeier in Milwaukee's German language press

Posted: 30 Jun 2015 4:24PM GMT
Thanks!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic