Search for content in message boards

Watson family, England to Indiana abt. 1818

Watson family, England to Indiana abt. 1818

Posted: 17 Jan 2009 4:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watson, Castator, Castetter, Hobbs
I'm trying to locate the family of my ancestor Elizabeth Jane Watson (a.k.a. Eliza Jane), who was born abt. 1821 in or near Ripley County, Indiana. Her parents came from England abt. 1818 with her older brother Henry, b. 1817. They may have had another brother James b. abt. 1814.

Eliza married 24 Aug 1840 in Ripley Co., IN to George Washington Castator, b. abt. 1818, Ross, Butler, OH.

Henry married 3 Mar 1840 in Ripley Co., IN to Abigail Castator, b. abt. 1820 in Delaware, Ripley, IN. She was sister to George.

Eliza remained in Delaware, Ripley, IN her entire life, was divorced from George bet. 1870 - 1880, married 2nd to William Hobbs 4 Oct 1881, and probably deceased by 1900. Records indicate that either George or her children eventually changed the spelling of Castator to Castetter, which was closer to the original German spelling of (probably) Kirstaetter or Kirstätter. George may have married 2nd and fathered more children in Grant Co. Indiana, but this isn't known for sure. He is believed to have died by 1900 as well.

I don't know if James was a brother, but dates and locations lead me to believe so. He was in Missouri by 1832 and Henry was there by 1844. Henry remained there in Union and Grant City, Worth Co., MO with a large family, dying sometime after 1900. James was back in Indiana by 1840, then Michigan, and d. 17 Oct 1856 in Chicago, IL.

Please respond or contact me if you have any information regarding any member of this family.

Thanks.
Julie Watts
julie@wattsfam.com

Re: Watson family, England to Indiana abt. 1818

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: Watsons/ Union & Grant City, Worth, Missouri
I have Watsons who were in Jay Co, Indiana in 1840. Joseph Watson was b. 1809 Ohio and his wife, Elizabeth was born 1811 in England. In 1850 they are in Jefferson Twnshp, Jay Co., Indiana.

By 1860 they are in Margetta, Gentry Co., Missouri and in 1870 they are in Union Twnshp, Worth Co., Missouri. Some of their children's death certificates say they were born in Grant City, Worth Co., Missouri.

Joseph and Elizabeth had nine children and several show up in Missouri as well with them. As adults several are still in that vicinity with their own families.
Their names:
George
Elizabeth
Mary J.
William
Louisa B.
Jemmimmah
Joseph
John and Emeriah who are twins.

Information on town names is from various census records.
It seems there would be some connection, I can give you more dates on births, and some middle names I'm sure are maiden names ie: Knisley.

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: Watson
I actually have those you have listed in my tree already after finding much more information on them. I am sure there must be some relationship between them and my Watsons, but I can't quite make the connection. Spellings of names of this family in my tree vary slightly. The John and Emeriah are actually Jahu and probably Amariah and they seem to have been born a year apart. I have a photo of Jahu's headstone and that of George and their parents. Most handwritten records for Jahu were transcribed incorrectly as John. The reason I believe Emeriah was probably Amariah is because there are others of this name in the family.

Jahu is buried in the same cemetery as Henry Watson (Grant City, Worth, Missouri); Henry, b. 1817 in England was born later than Joseph, who was b. 1809 in Ohio but married an English wife. How was this Watson family related to siblings Henry and Eliza? Were their fathers possibly brothers or cousins, making them 1st or maybe 2nd cousins?

You'll find your family in my tree here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/10911221/person/-559260965

Henry Watson, brother of Eliza in my line is here:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/10911221/person/-559260931

And Eliza (Watson) Castator/Castetter (my line) is here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/10911221/person/-559260944

I would appreciate any information you can offer that mey help sort this out.

Thanks,
Julie Watts

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:42PM GMT
Surnames: Watsons/ Union & Grant City, Worth, Missouri via Indiana
I will check out your info.
I too think your Watsons and mine have to be related.
I will be in touch.

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Watsons/ Indiana, Missouri, Washington
I have more info on the line of William Robert Watson b 1836 Ohio. That is my line coming down through Samuel Knisley Watson b. 1866 in MO and Ross Clarke Watson, my grandfather born 1893 in Latah, WA. My father, also Ross Clarke Watson was born in Seattle, WA. I will try to get my info updated so you can add it.
I'm so happy to have much of the info you have as mine was a lot more sparse!
Thanks!
Jackie Watson Johnson

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 4:14AM GMT
You're welcome. I hope we can figure out how my line and yours may be connected.

Posted: 11 May 2010 12:31AM GMT
I am looking for a William Henry Watson born PA who had a son Charles Henry Watson born 1850 in OH or PA and married Perlena Heeter of Montgomery Co., Ohio. The Heeter family were from Wabash Co. and Kosciusko Co., IN. Some of the family moved to Kansas and Missouri, while others moved to Preble, Miami and Montgomery Counties in Ohio. William H. Watson's father was thought to be from Wales.

We know nothing about William H. except that he was the father of Charles H. Watson. Any information you might have would be appreciated. M.Watson

Posted: 11 May 2010 12:54AM GMT
Julie,

These are other names of the descendants of William H. Watson, Joseph Allen, Joseph Robert, Samuel L., Charles Michael and David. A cousin of Joseph, Bill Watson moved to Missouri to a county that began with G.-Grant or Gentry- in early 1900. Are any of the above first names in your tree?
William H.Watson has been my "brick wall" for 20 years.

M.Watson

Posted: 11 May 2010 2:11AM GMT
To (M. Watson "bchist")

Sorry... I don't have any of these names, but will certainly keep them in mind as I continue to search.

Julie

Posted: 14 May 2010 5:09PM GMT
I have a "brick wall" with my mother´s father, Henry M. Watson, born about 1872 in Mt. Carmel, either TN or IL. On the Internet, I have found a David Watson from IN who married a Malinda Garrett in IL in 1854; they had several children, including a son Henry, born 1872 or 1873. David is the 1860 census in Wabash Co., IL and the 1870 census in Richland co., IL. The family, minus David, is found in the 1880 census in Wayne Co., IL, living with a Robert Floyed (Floyd). My Henry M. Watson married a Book, from Wayne Co., IL. Does any of this information resemble any of your family information?

T. J. Reese
Buenos Aires, Argentina
per page

Find a board about a specific topic