Search for content in message boards

ftm 2012 and windows 8

ftm 2012 and windows 8

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 2:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Mar 2012 4:12PM GMT
Thought I would start a tread for those that might have loaded windows 8 on their computers and what they thought. So far ftm 2012 seems to run pretty smooth for me on it but haven't done a lot yet on it.

Re: ftm 2012 and windows 8

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 6:10PM GMT
Had my first crash in ftm 2012 using Win 8. Was during a merge. Ftm 2012 closed down during merge.

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 6:53PM GMT
Did you report it?

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 9:05PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2012 9:07PM GMT
Keep in mind, Win 8 is not going to be supported yet, that release that is out there is not a final, it's a developers release.

I have it running on a development machine at work, but not using it for any production machines, that is absolutely not a good idea.

EDIT: Okay, I see the Consumer Preview release went live - same logic still applies though. Until it's an official 'off to the shelves' release, I wouldn't recommend using it for production work.

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 9:38PM GMT
Have I understand that and made sure to to backups and such, also figured before all was done would have to wipe system. It does appear they cleaned up some in windows but whether windows or ftm 2012 case still seems to some memory leaks, but yet for me seems to run smoother. I see alot of potential for ftm if they choice to go that way. One would be to stop working on finding a way to sync one ftm to more the one computer. Instead work on a win 8 app instead.

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2012 2:09AM GMT
Jim,
The copy that was released on Feb 29th, is the "Consumer" preview version.

Yes, it is NOT what will go into production, but a lot of improvements have been made since the developers version that was released last year.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 8:19PM GMT
I can't even get it to launch at all. I reinstalled it because it wouldn't load a required update and now it won't even launch.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 9:20PM GMT
What verison on Windows 8 you using? I started with the consumer. Now am using Windows 8 Prelease preview, which works better for me then the consumer but that could be cause computer was wiped clean and ftm 2012 was reinstalled.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 10:33PM GMT
I wouldn't consider that a real problem with Windows 8.

FTM has crashed, by shutting down with no notice, on merging in all versions of Windows.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 11:44PM GMT
I would be a little careful

Windows 8 by all accounts is very different to Windows 7, and further it has not been finally released.

Ancestry.com has not had anything to say about FTM 2012, or any other version of FTM for Windows, eg FTM 2011, FTM 2010, etc and Windows 8.

I have no idea if there are any changes that need to be made to FTM to get it to run in Windows 8

I would suggest caution until there are some clear advice.

In the meantime FTM runs perfectly well in Windows 7, Vista and XP

I would not rush it as there seems to be a lot of risk and no gain

John D

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions