Search for content in message boards

Fortunatus DOZIER -- parents: Dr. James & Marie DOZIER

Fortunatus DOZIER -- parents: Dr. James & Marie DOZIER

Posted: 10 Feb 2001 4:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2002 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: Dozier, Ingoes, Pritcher, Sullivan
Dear Dixie,
My mother in law is working on the Dozier family we are looking for info on Fortunatus Dozier.We are trying to find out where he got his name from his parents were Dr.James Ingoes Dozier and Marie Pritcher Sullivan from the late 1700's to early 1800's.

Fortunatus DOZIER

Posted: 10 Feb 2001 4:17PM GMT
We are looking for any kind of info on Fortunatus Dozier. It is a very unusual name so I'm hoping that it want be that hard to find out how this name came about.

Re: Fortunatus DOZIER -- b. 1828 KY Father: Richard DOZIER, b. 1791

Jim Parks (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2001 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Dozier, Evans, Williams, Ingo, Foster, Christopher, Munday, Jenkins, Griggs
My gggrandfather is Fortunatus Dozier born 15 Nov. 1828 Madison County, Ky., d. 29 Aug. 1874, Concord (Lewis Co.) Ky. (and buried there). His father is Richard, b. 9 Feb. 1791, d. 28 Oct. 1879. Richard's father apparently is Leonard Dozier who first married Rebecca Evans who bore him 8 children (Richard, Elizabeth, Susannah, Levi, Peter, Yeatman, Zachariah and James) between 1791 and 1806. Then apparently on 29 June 1817, he married Elizabeth Williams and had four more children (Franklin, Leonard, Sidney and George) between 1818 and 1827.

Richard had 7 of his own between 1819 and 1836 (Mary Ann, Rebecky, Bradford, James, Fortunatus, Alfred and Thomas).

There is evidence to suggest that this Leonard's father is James Ingo Dozier, who was born in Westmoreland, Va., but died in Madison Co., Ky.

My Fortunatus married Caroline Foster in the 1850s and spawned Albert (Bert), Robert E. Lee, John, Sarah and Georgia Ann. Only Georgia Ann had children. She married George Christopher (Son of George William Christopher and Levina Munday) and had Allie, Cordie and Annie (my grandmother). Allie married Norman Jenkins, and I know about their progency. Cordie married Harry Griggs (both died young and with no surviving children), and I know about my grandmother's children.

The main lines on my mother's side are Million, Newby, Heathman, Dozier, Christopher. The main lines on my father's side are Parks, Jones, Gentry, Fowler, Scudder. They are all old Madison County, Ky., pioneer names and they were all in Kentucky before 1810. And they all had large families. The population of Madison County was 15,000 in 1810; it was just over 30,000 in 1960. Thus, many of the progency of these pioneer families left Madison County and went to Indiana, Illinois, and especially Missouri. (Otherwise, Madison County, KY, would have a population of some two million today). And then to other places west.

Many of these families are interconnected in Madison County. (Cousins married cousins.)

Have some leads and info within Madison Co.; seeking info about how they got to Madison County and where they went west during the 1800s primarily. Thanks for any help.

Re: Fortunatus DOZIER -- wife: Catherine ORSO in LA

Posted: 25 Aug 2001 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: Orso, Dozier
Dear Mr.Parks,
My Mother in Law is theone doing the family history we got in touch with a Mr.Walter Weller that gave her a lot of information on the Dozier family . He helped her alot.OUR Fortunatus was married to a catherine ourso in Louisana in 1864. His children were Mary Lancaster,Annaliza, Judith,Ingnea zulmea.He was in Texas before this i do believe he wa on ther census and he was in the civil war.

Re: Fortunatus DOZIER -- wife: Eliza ENGLISH in TX

Linda Dozier Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2001 10:32PM GMT
Surnames: Dozier, English, Ingoes, Prether, Sullivan, Lancaster
Tammy, I also descend from Fortunatus Dozier, but from his marriage to Eliza English in Texas. I have a copy of the record where Fortunatus Dozier enlisted in the Army of the Republic of Texas on December 24, 1839. He was self-described in the document as being aged 25, 5 feet 6 inches, of fair complexion, blue eyes, brownhair, and by profession a druggist. He is listed in the 1850 Federal census as a resident of Houston County, Texas, with birthright from Kentucky. He was married to Eliza and had two daughters, Mary E. (age 5) and Cordelia E.(Elvira) - age 3. Elvira is my great grandmother. There were two land transaction from Houston Co. records that put Fortunatus still in Texas in 1852. The records of him as a child of Ingoes James Dozer in Thibodaux, LA record siblings and mother Mary Prether Sullivan. Having named his own daughter Mary Lancaster puts a strong connection to James Ingo Dozier and Martha Lancaster ...and consequently Leonard Dozier ...but I still lack definite proof. What do you know? Thanks! Isn't it fun hunting? :) LInda

Re: Fortunatus Dozier

Posted: 19 Oct 2001 7:20PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2002 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Dozier
Hi Linda,
I am Tammy Dozier's mother in law, Ann Dozier. Tammy had a problem with her monitor so I am replying to your letter to her. I do correspond with Dennis Delaney & Walter Wheeler. My husband is Fortunatus Adam Dozier & I do the family research. We have always known that Dr.Fortunatus had another family & now we have found it. What can you tell me about Dr.Fortunatus? Do you know the reason he left Texas & his family there? We have heard a story on this matter but I would like to hear it from you. Send your reply to my e-mail address & not on this board. Is there anything I can send to you? Thanks, I am hoping to hear from you soon. I don't know your e-mail address so I am writing to you here instead of elsewhere. I'll close for now, Ann Dozier

Re: Fortunatus Dozier

Posted: 19 Oct 2001 7:28PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2002 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Dozier
Linda,
I don't think my e-mail address showed when I sent the letter to you, so I am sending it to you now. TADoz1938@yahoo.com
talk to you later,
Ann Dozier

Re: Fortunatus DOZIER -- buried in Lewis Co. or Madison Co., KY ??

Marvin L. Jenkins (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2002 3:31AM GMT
Hi Jimmy,
Just read your posting about Fortunatus Dozier that he is buried in Lewis County, Ky.
I think you are wrong about that. My aunt Anna Mildred Cornelison took me to his and Caroline's graves in the Richmond Cemetery, Richmond, Madison County, Ky.

Give me a call sometime, I live in Berea.

Marvin

Re: Fortunatus DOZIER -- buried in TX

Tammy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2002 6:18AM GMT
Dear marvin I think we have two different Fortunatus Dozier's that we are dealing with here.I believe ours is buried in Texas but I would have to ask my mother in law she is the one doing all of the family history research.But more than likely they would be some kind of relation because their's not to many Fortunatus Dozier listed .

Re: Fortunatus DOZIER -- buried in Madison Co., KY

Jim Parks (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2002 1:27AM GMT
Marvin is correct. Fortunatus is buried in the Richmond Cemetery.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic