Search for content in message boards

Henry or Henry A. JEFFERSON, b. 1826 - Pittsylvania Co., VA

Henry or Henry A. JEFFERSON, b. 1826 - Pittsylvania Co., VA

Posted: 3 Mar 2009 8:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2009 4:17PM GMT
Hello - I am stuck and would appreciate some help! I have traced one of our family branches back to Henry or Henry Addison Jefferson, born in 1826 in Pittsylvania County, VA. I can't find any information on his parents and would appreciate some help. I believe, through rumor and speculation only, that he ties back into Archibald Jefferson (b. 1780), but I have nothing on this.

Henry married Sarah Oakes (b. 1823).

Henry's son is Samuel David (b. 1856), who went by David. David married Martha Jane Thompson.

Both Henry A. and David are buried in Museville Christian Church Cemetery.

Thank you very much for any help.

Re: Henry or Henry A. JEFFERSON

Posted: 17 May 2009 4:10PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2009 4:19PM GMT
My grandma was telling me that his mother's name is Patsy Jefferson I cannot find out his fathers name because she says he was an illegitimate child. Not sure if that helped any but thats some more info.

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 9:38PM GMT
Thanks so much for the lead... I was truly at a dead end. Does she know anything else about Patsy - like if that is a nickname or where (as in county or town) I might look up some records to find siblings of Henry? I can't seem to make any headway on this line. Thank you!!

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 18 Sep 2009 10:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson
I am also a descendant of Henry Addison Jefferson. I have heard that Martha "Patsy" Jefferson "could be his mother". A few months ago, I found a family tree (below) that indicates that a Martha (Patsy) Jefferson was born in 1804 and was the daughter of Archer (Archibald) Jefferson (born 1776). I can't remember which website!!! I am also very interested in knowing more about her. -----------
-

# ID: I53427
# Name: Archer Jefferson
# Given Name: Archer
# Surname: Jefferson
# Sex: M
# Birth: 4 May 1766 in Henrico Co, Virginia
# Death: 31 Oct 1826 in Henrico Co, Virginia
# _UID: 13F6B1909CD847508023CA810529B230531F
# Change Date: 9 Jul 2006 at 20:39

Father: Peter Field Jefferson b: 4 Mar 1740 in Henrico Co, Virginia
Mother: Elizabeth Allen b: 7 Dec 1739 in Cumberland Co, Virginia

Marriage 1 Lavinia Ramsey b: Abt 1770 in Franklin Co, Virginia

* Married: 3 Jan 1798 in Franklin Co, Virginia
* Change Date: 9 Jul 2006

Children

1. Frances Jefferson b: Abt 1800 in Franklin Co, Virginia
2. Martha (Patsy) Jefferson b: 1804
3. William N. Jefferson b: Abt 1805 in Franklin Co, Virginia
4. Alexander Jefferson b: Bet 1811 and 1815 in Franklin Co, Virginia
5. Isaiah Jefferson b: Abt 1812 in Franklin Co, Virginia
6. Peter Field Jefferson b: Abt 1815 in Franklin Co, Virginia

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 7:46PM GMT
I had Archer Jefferson born in 1776. Should be 1766!!!!

Posted: 18 Sep 2009 8:06PM GMT
Thanks for the info! This is very exciting for me because this is our family link back to Pres. Thomas Jefferson. We have heard the legends passed through down the years, but verifying this would be great news.

If Henry's mother was Patsy, then that leads back directly to Field Jefferson. Field Jefferson and Peter Jefferson (Pres. TJ's father) were brothers. Nothing monumental, but interesting! Also, Peter Field Jefferson is already registered with the Sons and Duaghters of the American Revolution as a patriot in their database, so all we need to do is prove this link and it would allow many people in my family the opportunity to join one of these distinguished groups.

Thanks again for your help - If I can help in any way, please let me know... I will continue to search.

Posted: 21 Aug 2010 12:31AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson Oakes Davis
In the Pittsylvania Co VA quarterly, s: Piedmont Lineages Vol 16, #2, p 55 states that Anna Davis (Professional genealogist) of Pittsylvania Co VA has a handwritten record that says
"Patsy Jefferson, unmarried mother of Henry Addison Jefferson b. 19 Mar 1826, d. 2 Jul 1906."
Henry m. Sarah D. Oakes 31 Aug 1848. She was b. 9 Nov 1823 and died 2 Apr 1900, the oldest child of Joab and Elizabeth Hudson Kirby Oakes. The family tradition is that the father of Henry was a Davis who left and went west. Henry became a prosperous wheelwright and fathered a large family.

Posted: 21 Aug 2010 5:05AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 10:47PM GMT
Linda - Thanks you SO much for helping me with this. That information is definitely something that will help us on our quest. You have certainly filled in one of two gaps - we now need to only find out about Patsy's parents to make the link we've been searching for. We believe that Patsy's father was Archibald (Archer) Jefferson, but we're not sure yet.

Thanks again for your help!!

Posted: 21 Aug 2010 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 10:48PM GMT
Your are fortunate that there are documents proving her parents. Go to the land records and court records.
Contact the genie society and ask them to look up:
Piedmont Lineages Vol. 16, #2, p 55.
I think you might find what you need.

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 6:19PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 10:48PM GMT
Have you found the proof you need? I haven't "looked at" the message board quite a while!!!

I found the volume mentioned at the Chatham library. There are a few pages that connect the Jefferson's' from Peter Field Jefferson, the first cousin of President Jefferson, down through my Grandmother Rosa Bell. She was Samuel David's (Henry's son) daughter.

I have a paper copy of the actual pages from Vol XVI, #2 and a copy of the volume cover. This may be of interest to you. If so, let me know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic