Search for content in message boards

Rev Henry Smith

Rev Henry Smith

c-devlin (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
can anyone help with any information on my great granfathers brother who was minister of lady of orkney 1919 to 1932.

Re: Rev Henry Smith

JUNE I M RIDDELL (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2005 11:57AM GMT
Surnames: SMITH,GAULD,BEY,ANDERSON ETC
The REV HENRY SMITH
He would be my 1st cousin 2x's removed am hoping to find out something on his family.
My mother told me that on his visits home to Aberdeenshire he christened herself and some of her brothers,although she has no proof of this but she remembers there being a bit of a fuss
when she and one of her brothers went to join the Church at Leochel Cushnie because they had been christened at home.My mother was born in 1931 so never knew the Rev

He was born 1859 at Logie Coldstone died 1932 at Lady Manse,Lady Park,Sanday

He was married to1) MARIA CLARA WATT
2)MARGARET JEAN ANDERSON
3)FLORETTO PORTELLO
In total he had 10 children.
Would dearly love to find out more on the family.

james irvine (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2005 9:02AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Hew Scott's "Fasti Scoticanae" 1928, p263 shows for the Presbytery of Orkney's North Isles, 1919: "Henry Smith, born Lodie-Colstone 29 Oct 1859, son of Henry S. and Elizabeth Stewart; educated at Tarland and Migvie Schools, Old and New Grammar Schools, and Univ. of Aberdeen; MA 1886; BD 1890; licensed by Presbytery of Aberdeen 7 May 1889; assistant at Ollaberry and Northroe, Shetland; ord. to Burray Mission 8 Sept 1896; admitted first minister to that parish 22 April 1904; trans. and admitted [to Lady Parish] 17 Sept 1919. Married (1) 14 Sept 1894 Maria Clara Watt (died 14 May 1907), and had issue - Jane Mary Cruikshank, born 5 Feb 1897; Harriet Stewart born 15 May 1899 (married 12 Jan 1919 James Duncan), died 15 Feb 1927; Catherine Watt Ethel, born 8 June 1904, died 8 Jan 1910; (2) 29 Dec 1902, Margaret Jean (died 23 June 1923), elder daughter of Thomas Anderson, farmer, Langskaill, Orkney, and had issue - Thomas Anderson, born 14 Oct 1910; James, born 19 Jan 1912, Harry Horatio, born 12 Jan 1914, Alexander Hercules, born 16 Jan 1915; Isabella Smith, born 17 Nov 1917; Cecilia, born 7 Feb 1919; Magnus (twin), born 7 Feb 1919; (3) 27 Oct 1924, Florette Portello."

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 3:02PM GMT
Hello, my father was James Bey Smith his father was Rev Henry Smith I am also trying to trace my family tree I might have information that would be of help to you you can contact me on my email rhcj123@aol.com
Hazel

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 1:24AM GMT
Hi

Hi June,

I am John William SMITH in Gosford NSW Australia and I believe your Rev Henry Smith is the next younger brother of my Great Grandfather John (Jock) b 1.5.1858 d 20.2.1936 oldest son of Harry Smith / Eliza Stewart (12 children - 5 died young. Harry was a shoemaker and Jock was a stonemason. My late father was named Henry James Smith.

I have your Henry as b 29.10.1859 d 11.5.1932.

My ancestors immigrated to Australia from Ballater in 1910. In 2005 I researched them, principally on Scotland's People and it is clear that Logie Coldstone is ground zero.

My email is jwsoz@hotmail.com . I believe I have quite a bit of information for you and hopefully you have some for me.

Regards

Jack Smith

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 1:55AM GMT
Hi

Just read your post. It appears Rev Henry Smith is younger brother of John (Jock) Smith who is my Great Grandfather. He and his family emigrated to Ayr Queenland Australia in 1910. My father was named Henry. My email is jwsoz@hotmail.com if you would like more information.

Regards,

Jack Smith

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Blair, Stewart
Hi Jack

Another June here! Henry & John's mother, Elizabeth Stewart, was the older sister of my gg-grandmother, Margaret Stewart.

Their father James Stewart was also a Mason, who moved to Logie Coldstone from Mortlach, Banff, after being declared a 'fugitive' there in 1816. Don't ask me what his crime was, because there's a blank in the National Archives record!

James Stewart was also a twin, and it certainly seems to have run in the family from other lines I've seen on ancestry.

James's wife, Elizabeth Blair, had a brother William, who was fiddler to Queen Victoria, so you can't say we don't have interesting connections!

Please message me if you need any more info on the Stewart line.

Kind regards

June

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 7:56PM GMT
Hello I am Hazel Ross nee Smith the Rev Henry Smith is my G/Father his son James Bey is my Dad and I am trying to find out more about this side of my family

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Stuart, Stewart, Bey, Ritchie, Macalay,
Hi Hazel,

You confused me for a moment because I didn't know the Rev H Smith had a son named James Bey Smith, I knew only that he had a brother of that name!

I don't have much on the Smith side of your family, I'm afraid, just back as far as John Smith b.1797 at Tarland and his wife Margaret Bey b.1803, parents of Harry Smith b.1830, who would be your g-grandfather. And all of that info I got from the ancestry tree of June Riddell, who wrote some of the earlier messages in this thread. So if you click on her username you should be able to access her tree from her profile page.

You and I are both connected through Elizabeth Stewart. Her younger sister Margaret was my gg-grandmother. Harry Smith was a witness at Margaret Stewart's wedding at Allalogie, Logie Coldstone in 1869.

Elizabeth and Margaret's parents were James Stewart b.1797 Mortlach, Banff and Elizabeth Blair b.1803 Crathie, Abdnshire.

James Stewart and his brother George were declared fugitives on 19 September 1816 and 'put to the horn'. Presumably that's why James moved south to Aberdeenshire!

James Stewart's parents were Robert Stuart alias Macalay b.1754 Mortlach, Banff and Margaret Ritchie b.1752 Mortlach. Quite a few folk in the Banffshire area were in the habit of having an alias added to their surname, and one theory is that the alias gives an indication of the geography or affiliation of a clan surname. The MacAlays were a sept of the Stewarts of Appin.

If you need more info on this side of your family, just message me and I'll send you an invite to my tree.

Kind regards

June
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions