Search for content in message boards

Hang Dog Tree

Hang Dog Tree

Susan Thibault (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brannon
I am looking for George Brannon (aprox. time frame 1770/1800.) who lived in Hang Dog Tree which is in Cherokee County NC.
Can some one tell me aproximately where Hang Dog Tree is located in NC.? I have several people trying to find George, considering that he had several children. And possibly the name of his wife, sho was a Cherokee Indian... Thank you, Susan
Posted: 31 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:13PM GMT
I checked my NC Gazetteer and no Hang Dog Tree is listed, but Hanging Dog is a community in northwest Cherokee Co., NC. There is also a Hanging Dog Creek which rises in north Cherokee Co on Hanging Dog Mountain and flows southwest into Hiwassee River. It was named because an Indian's hunting dog became hung in a mass of jammed logs and vines in the flooded creek. Hanging Dog Gap is in north Cherokee in the north end of Hanging Dog Mountain. Hanging Dog Mountain extends from central Cherokee County northeast into the Snowbird Mountains in southwest Graham County.

Cherokee County was not formed until 1839 from Macon County, NC. Macon was formed in 1828 from Haywood Co., NC.
Haywood was formed in 1808 from Buncombe; so if your George Brannon was in the area in 1800, he was actually in Buncombe County.

I checked my census indexes and found George Brannon in Rutherford Co., TN in 1810 census. The only other year I found a George Brannon was in Jefferson Co., TN in 1850 and Muscogee Co., Georgia in 1850. Hope this helps. Naomi

George Brannon

Posted: 13 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2006 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: BRANNON
I read that you are seeking info on a George Brannon. I have a Samuel Robert Brannon (my great-grandfather) in my family who was from Vernon, Lamar Co, AL, born Jan 30, 1887. His siblings were: Vanny Brannon, Lock Brannon, Minnie Poe Brannon, Lee Brannon, Houston Brannon, and Lona Brannon. His father was George Lewis Brannon who was married to a Charity Denmon (spelling unsure of). Samuel Robert Brannon and his wife (Nellie Jane Ennis) moved to Earlsboro, OK sometime in the early 1900's. They had 13 kids. Their names were: Cora Brannon, Ora Brannon, Nethel Brannon, Frank Brannon, Alfred Brannon, Robert Brannon, Juanita Brannon, Esaw & Jacob Brannon (twins), Isaac Brannon, Alma Brannon, Beulina Brannon, and Henry Lee Brannon.

If these names sound familiar to you, please contact.

Cheryl Charles
Los Angeles, CA

Hanging Dog Tree

Posted: 14 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: Terry, Waters
Susan, Hanging Dog Tree is located in the extreme sw part of North Carolina. There is a small town called Murphy that is approximately 20 or 30 miles se of Hanging Dog Tree. It is beautiful country there. I am researching the Terry Family and the Waters Family if you happen to run across any of these people in your searches.
Carol Wilson Wright

George Brannon

Posted: 18 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2004 5:56PM GMT
Surnames: BRANNON
You will find that most of George Brannon's children moved to Monroe Co TN. There are still many descendants living there. The story goes that George had a gold mine that he would not divulge the location. He once blindfolded one of his sons and took him there. All agree that he had an Indian wife.

Bettye

Brannon-Hanging Dog

Sonya Brannon Tate (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Legend has it that my g-g-g-grandfather Larkin Brannons dads name was George. My grandfather George Brannon always said so. Larkin was born in 1800 in Hanging Dog. He, in his later years, along with his son Edward, moved across the Unaka mountains and settled in Monroe CO TN where we still are today. "Un' Duck" or WIlliam, was the only son of Larkin to stay in the Hanging Dog area, where most of his family still lives today. What is your connection to the Brannons?

Brannon

Sonya (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
We have no name for the mother of Larkin Brannon, the wife of George. This has been a stopping place for me. My research has yet to uncover her name. Sorry, but I can't be of any more help to you on that point. If you get any more info let me know. You can always reach me by email on here on the Cherokee County web page.

Bannon, Hang Dog

Susan Thibault (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Sonya,
I am related to George thru his son, Julian, to his son, Acel (Acile), to his son, William Henry, to his son Leon..
Would you have any info on who George was married to???

Thanks for the response.

Susan

Re: Hang Dog Tree

Posted: 18 Oct 2001 5:35PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2003 4:04PM GMT
Hanging Dog NC is a community near Murphy, NC in Cherokee County. Try the following web page for more information
www.tib.com/dfai

Re: Hang Dog Tree

doyce garrett lansford (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2002 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: garrett, jump, dockery,brannon
susan, the name is hanging dog.i have copy of article from cherokee heritage about george brannon and family. it tells about george blind-folding his son before taking him to his gold mine.at this time he lived at tellico plains.lists larkin's family also.if you don't have this article and want it email me your address and i will mail to you...also any others that are interested....doyce
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions