Search for content in message boards

Ship Sheridan

Ship Sheridan

Posted: 12 Nov 2010 3:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Would anyone have a photo/sketch of the ship Sheridan that brought immigrants to the US from Ireland? My ancestors were on that ship in 1847.

Re: Ship Sheridan

Posted: 26 Sep 2011 7:41PM GMT
Could you please tell me if you ever found an image of the ship Sheridan? My gg grandfather emigrated from Ireland on the Sheridan during the cholera voyage of August 1849. He survived, despite being one of the oldest passengers. Thirty-one people died and many others were sickened.

Posted: 27 Sep 2011 6:18PM GMT
No I'm sorry I have not found one yet. I'm still persuing it though. If I find one I will post my success so if others are looking I can email personally to them. Thanks for the enquiry. If you ever find one could you please email me @catssmith@att.net. Thanks !! Also so glad your ancestors survived...lol's.

Posted: 27 Sep 2011 8:31PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I will certainly share an image if I find one. The Sheridan was part of the Dramatic Line, a strange name for a shipping line. But all the ships were named for figures from the theatre, such as the playwright Sheridan and the actress Siddons (a ship on which other of my ancestors sailed to America).

Searching Google, I find references to the Sheridan and the Dramatic Line in a book, "The Western Ocean Packets" by Basil Lubbock. It contains an illustration of the Sheridan's sister ship, the Roscius, on p101 and the dimensions of the ship on p10. Google does not have the whole book but I'm getting it from the library. You might find it helpful too.

Posted: 27 Sep 2011 11:30PM GMT
Surnames: Talbot, Doxey
thank you very much for that information. I also have googled it so many times I have lost count thinking something just might pop up. I have looked on as many ships/steam/boats/ sites as I can think of and I too have found the sister ship information and references to it but never to a sketch or photo of it. I will check my library as it is just a corner away from me. Again thanks !

Posted: 22 Oct 2011 1:11PM GMT
Are there any Kerr family members listed?

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 11:57AM GMT
Surnames: SWhip: SHERIDAN
libra,
Were you looking for someone named Kerr on the SHERIDAN? Could you say what the first name of the passenger was?

There seems to be several voyages by the SHERIDAN to New York around the period 1848 to 1850 that you are interested in.

Just some Kerrs I noticed were: Matthew, Anne, Biddy, Peter, and an unknown Kerr was born on the ship in 1847.

Brian

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 1:21AM GMT
Hi, Just reviewing ancestry board on the Sheridan. Did you have any luck with your questions on the Sheridan. I have never found a picture of the Sheridan but I do have a copy of the ship building license for the sheridan and it gives the date of construction, location and size.
My relatives came to New YOrk harbor from England. landing in New York in August, 1849.
I have a copy of the ship manifest for that voyage also.
I have not worked on the Sheridan information for quite some time as I, like everyone else, had trouble finding data on the Sheridan.
I found no pictures but have a good description of the size.
If your still looking for info and I can be of help, I will be glad to assist as best I can,
Roy
March 9, 2013

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 3:22PM GMT
My gg grandfather was on the same voyage of the Sheridan that arrived in NY in August 1849, as I mentioned in an earlier post here. The Sheridan made a number of Liverpool-NY voyages all thru the 1840s.

I would be very grateful to receive a copy of the ship building license with the info you described.

Still have not found a photo tho.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 6:27PM GMT
If you would like, contact me at royg191@frontier.com and I will get back in touch regarding the Sheridan Ship License. The license is on my office wall. The other sheridan info is in my file cabinet that I havn't looked at in a couple of years. Glad to help if I can.

Roy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions