Search for content in message boards

Possible Parents of Elias "Plummer" Sanders [1775-1865] (h/o Mary Carter)

Possible Parents of Elias "Plummer" Sanders [1775-1865] (h/o Mary Carter)

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 8:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Nov 2009 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Carter
I know that alot of people have alot of information about Elias "Plummer" Sanders as he may or may not have been of Native American descent (??) But to be honest, I have heard people say that he was adopted by a Sanders family, and my question is what were those Sanders' names? I am sure somewhere someone happens to have the "adopted" parents of Elias "Plummer" Sanders?

I have been able to trace the Carter family, but I am stuck on Elias Sanders? Even if he was "adopted" don't you think that someone happens to have their names' somewhere? I could get past this brick wall and maybe even move on with his "adopted" parents

Come on someone should have their name?

Thanks In Advance,
K. Chris Vickery

Re: Moses & Mary Sarah Hamilton

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 11:57PM GMT
REV. MOSES SR.1 SANDERS was born Abt. 1742 in Downton, Wiltshire, England, and died 29 Mar 1817 in Goves Level, Franklin County, Georgia, USA. He married MARY SARAH HAMILTON Abt. 1764 in Goves Level, Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born Abt. 1745 in Goves Level, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died Abt. 1816 in Greenbrier County, Virginia, USA.
Notes for REV. MOSES SR. SANDERS:
Copied from ancestery.com = Hi- My name is Bill (Saunders) Curry. I too am a descendant of Moses Martin Sanders as well. Feel free to contact me at BillCurryCMP@yahoo.com; David's parents are Moses Sanders and Mary Hamilton and here is their story: Burial: Groves Level, Franklin County, Georgia.
Family Data Collection - Births Record: Saunders, Moses, Father: Saunders, John, Mother: Nimrod, Catherine, Birth Date: 1734, State: VA, Country: USA
The Reverend Moses Sanders was a well-known Baptist preacher in the last decades of the eighteenth century who was instrumental in founding several Baptist churches in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia, including Grove Level Baptist Church in Franklin (now Banks) County, Georgia. In 1902 a great-grandson, Christopher Columbus Sanders, with the help of other descendants, funded a cemetery marker for the Reverend Sanders on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Grove Level Church. The tombstone has the following inscription:
Rev. Moses Sanders, Born 1742, Died 1817, Founder of Grove Level, Nails Creek and many other Baptist Churches. A soldier of the Revolutionary War, The Cross of Jesus Christ My Anchor.
MOSES SANDERS Sr. North Carolina Militia. Born 1742,. Served as a private in the Iredell County Regiment, NC Militia. Moved to that part of Franklin County. which became part of Banks County, Georgia. Married Sarah ("Sally") Hamilton in Virginia. He is buried near Groves Level Baptist Church Cemetery in Banks County, Georgia.
Franklin County, 1906-1909. A crew constructing the Nails Creek Baptist Church which was finished in 1909. Members of the congregation made the bricks and erected the building. The old wooden structure is located to the left. The church is located on Georgia Highway 51 in the western part of the county. It was possibly the first church in this area of Georgia and was established in 1787.
Franklin County, 1909. Members are gathered in front of the Nails Creek Baptist Church just after completion. The old wooden structure is located to the left in the background. A trough nailed to a tree and a buggy can be seen also. The church is located on Georgia Highway 51 in the western part of the county. It was possibly the first church in this area of Georgia and was established in 1787.
Franklin County, summer 1909. Baptismal service of the Nails Creek Baptist Church located on Georgia Highway 51 in the western part of the county. The congregation can be seen here gathered around Ariail's fish pond. The church was established in 1787 and was possibly the first church in this part of the state
[Source]: Early Settlers of Banks County Georgia by Barbara LeFevre, Moses Sanders. Constructed a Log missionary in the early 1770's and in the year 1787 became the first pastor of Nails Creek Baptist Church. The old Federal Road which ran off old Cherokee grounds as in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee, the Cherokees themselves authorized this road which begins in Chattanooga, Tenn and runs to Flowery Branch to Augusta. It was called the Federal road because it was a mail route. Communities along this road were Mt. Pleasant.,Walnut Hills, Jewelsville and Nails Creek named for Joe Nails who ran a trading post.
Nails Creek Baptist Church was established on 11th February 1787.The marker lists Rev Moses Sanders .page 141 In the minutes of Grove Level Church May 1802 stated that the following members of the arm of Nails Creek Baptist Church met at Grove Level Meeting house and were Constituted a Church .( To be called Grove Level Baptist Church) by a presbytery composed of Moses Sandrers Sr. , John Doss, William Denman and Thomas Maxwell . choose Moses Sandrers Sr as our supply. The names of 62 members included Richard Mauldin, ( who married Nancy Sanders daughter of Moses born 1778), SILAS (ELIAS) Sanders, David Sanders (who married Mary Allred) Francis Sanders ( who may be the brother to Moses),Sally Sanders and Polly Sanders.
Abstracted from the NailsCreek Baptist Church records. Rev Moses served in the Continental Army under General George Washington and bore a number of scars from Bayonet Wounds., Taken from the History of Nails Creek Baptist Church. One source said he got the scars in a bayonet fight with a British soldier and the " Brit" lost.< not confirmed>
Will of Moses Sanders dated 28 th Feburary 1817 in Franklin County ( Groves Level later Banks County ) Georgia:
"In the name of God, amen" I Moses Sanders Sr of the state aforesaid and County Of Franklin,being of sound and disposing mind and Memory, and calling to mind that it is once appointed for all men to die. I constitute and make this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all other former wills and testaments made or intended to be made.
Firstly I will that all my debts as shall by me owing at my death together, with all changes touching the proving of or otherwise concerning this my will shall in the first place be paid out of my personal estate and effects. From and after payment thereof and subject thereunto this my will is that all the residue of my estate of every description, shall be appraised except the part I hereafter lend my wife. after such appraisement made that the same be divided as follows.
I will that my lands shall be divided into four equal parts, except that I am now about to give and have deeded to away with a small bit of land to my son, John Sanders adjoining the place where I now live beginning at Buch Corner at the mouth of the branch thence to the branch where my ( undeciperable) forms the branch, thence up the branch to the old line, thence along old line to the other branch.
One hundred acres I give Nancy Jones and Joel Sanders across the upper end of the Four hundred acre tract of land granted to myself adjoining the Aldreds (Allred) old cabin, and the rest of my property of all description whatever I wish divided int five equal Parts to wit.
I give unto my son Moses Sanders Jr one fourth part of my land and one fifth part of the residue of my estate.
I give unto my son John Sanders forty dollars, and one fourth part of my land and one fifth part of the residue of my estate.
Item, I give to my son Aaron Sanders two dollors for his porton of my estate. Aron (Aaron) Sanders children Nancy Jones , Joel, Moses, Nathanield, Daniel, Polley and Salley Sanders one fourth part of my land and one fifth part of the residue of my Estate and also give unto them one Negro girl and the increase of any , that I lent to my son Aron Sanders during his life by the name of Barsheba.
I give unto my grandchildren of David Sanders, deceased, namely To wit Martin , Hambleton (William Hamilton),Sally, Nancy and David , one Negro named Buck which I lent my son David, deceased. One fourth part of my land and one fifth part of my residue of my estate to be equally divided between them.
I give unto my Daughter Sally Hooper two dollars.
I give unto my grandchildren of Sally Hooper namely to wit William Sanders, Obadia, Betsy Carter, Miley and James Hooper, two Negoes Lewis and Hannah which negroes I before lent to my daughtere Sally Hooper and one fifth part of the residue of my estate, except the land to to be equally divided also twenty dollars cash. ( Sarah B. or Sally married Obediah Hooper 24 th March 1805, Obediah was son of Obediah Hooper Sr, both fought in the Rev War.)
I give unto Richard Maulden two dollars. ( who married Nancy in abt 1800 born 1778 died about 1808)
I lend unto my wife Mary Sanders during her life the land whereon I now live and three Negroes, Dinah, Rachel and Fann, four cows and calves , two horses, two sows and pigs, two feather beds and Furniture. All my household and Kitchen furniture .My plantation, working tools and a sufficient support for her for one year after my death to be levied out of my estate,
After my wifes death my will is for all the property I have lent her to to be equally divided in five parts, except the land my son John Sanders is to have, and my son Moses Sanders is to have one fifth part and my grandchildren heretofore mentioned of Aron Sanders to have one fifth part, to be equally divided between them.
My express will is that I ordain and appoint my sons Moses Sanders and John Sanders my sole executors of this my last Will and Testament.
Given under my hand and Seal this 28th day of Febuary in the year of our Lord 1817.
witnesses present: John Bush, William Legg and John Baugh Justice of the Peace
Signed Moses Sanders his mark
Note: The comments in ( ) are mine and do not appear in the original will.
More About MOSES SANDERS and MARY HAMILTON:
Marriage: Abt. 1764, Goves Level, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of MOSES SANDERS and MARY HAMILTON are:
2. i. MOSES JR.2 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1766, Virginia, USA; d. 12 Jan 1847, Jackson County, Georgia, USA.
3. ii. REV. AARON SANDERS, b. Abt. 1769, Virginia, USA; d. Aft. 1850, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. JOHN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1771, Georgia, USA.
iv. SARAH B. SANDERS, b. 15 May 1773, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
v. DAVID SANDERS, b. Abt. 1775, North Carolina, USA.
vi. NANCY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1778, North Carolina, USA.
vii. AMOS SANDERS, b. Abt. 1783, North Carolina, USA.
Generation No. 2
2. MOSES JR.2 SANDERS (MOSES SR.1) was born Abt. 1766 in Virginia, USA, and died 12 Jan 1847 in Jackson County, Georgia, USA. He married MARY ELIZABETH HARRIS 12 Jun 1789 in Wickes County, North Carolina, USA. She was born Abt. 1770 in Fishing Creek, Wilkes County, North Carolina, USA, and died Abt. 1845 in Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
More About MOSES SANDERS and MARY HARRIS:
Marriage: 12 Jun 1789, Wickes County, North Carolina, USA
Children of MOSES SANDERS and MARY HARRIS are:
i. ELIZABETH3 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1790, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; d. Abt. 1820, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; m. JEREMIAH BELL, Abt. 1806, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; b. Abt. 1778, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; d. 09 Feb 1856, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA.
More About JEREMIAH BELL and ELIZABETH SANDERS:
Marriage: Abt. 1806, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA
ii. JOHN HARRIS SANDERS, b. Abt. 1792, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA.
iii. POLLY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1793, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA.
4. iv. MINYARD SANDERS, b. Abt. 1795, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; d. Aft. 1870, Bushville, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
v. MARTHA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1797, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA.
vi. SARAH RUTH SANDERS, b. Abt. 1801, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA.
vii. STEPHEN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1805, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; d. Nails Creek, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for STEPHEN SANDERS:
Sephen Sanders, (26 September) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 45, Estimated birth year: abt 1805, Birth Place: South Carolina, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $1,600.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 493, Household Members: Name Age: Sephen Sanders 45. [Page 69 of 218, Line 42-3-3]
viii. NANCY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1808, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 12 Feb 1808, Chattooga County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for NANCY SANDERS:
Nancy Sanders was born about 1808. She was the daughter of Moses Sanders, Jr. and Elizabeth Harris. Her grandfather was Moses Sanders, Sr., who was listed as a Revolutionary War Soldier in the "Roster of Revolutionary Soldiers in Georgia". However, his service in an organized fighting unit has never been able to be verified and the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) no longer accept applications for membership based on Moses Sanders, Sr. Moses was also a Baptist preacher and helped organize several churches in Banks County, Georgia.
Nancy Sanders married Richard Willbanks December 30, 1824 in Jackson County, Georgia. Nancy and Richard had 5 children, Stephen Garrett, John W., Sarah Ann, William Henry, and Nancy Caroline. Richard Willbanks was a preacher.
Nancy Willbanks died February 12, 1887. She is said to be buried with Richard Willbanks in Wilbanks-Bandy Cemetery, Chattooga County, Georgia. Her marker has not been located.
3. REV. AARON2 SANDERS (MOSES SR.1) was born Abt. 1769 in Virginia, USA, and died Aft. 1850 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA. He married (1) MARY UNKNOWN Abt. 1789 in South Carolina, USA. She was born Abt. 1771 in Laurens County, South Carolina, USA, and died Bef. 1817 in Nails Creek, Banks County, Georgia, USA. He married (2) MOURNING THOMPSON 14 Feb 1817 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born 1795 in South Carolina, USA.
Notes for REV. AARON SANDERS:
Franklin County became Georgia's 9th county in 1784 in honor of Ben Franklin. It covered all of what is now Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Jackson, Oconee, and Stephens counties, parts of Gwinnett, Hall, Hart, and Madison counties, as well as three counties in South Carolina. The county seat is Carnesville, Georgia, Cities and towns: Canon -- Carnesville -- Franklin Springs -- Gumlog -- Lavonia - Martin -- Narrows -- Royston
Aaron Sanders, (6 December) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 81, Estimated birth year: abt 1769, Birth Place: Virginia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $6,500.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 1542, Household Members: Name Age: Aaron Sanders 81 & Mourning Sanders 55, Children: Jesse F Sanders 21, Lucinda Sanders 15, Caroline Sanders 14, Matthew Sanders 14. [Page 218-Line 18-1542-1542]
More About AARON SANDERS and MARY UNKNOWN:
Marriage: Abt. 1789, South Carolina, USA
More About AARON SANDERS and MOURNING THOMPSON:
Marriage: 14 Feb 1817, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of AARON SANDERS and MARY UNKNOWN are:
5. i. JOEL3 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1790, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; d. Abt. 1858.
ii. NANCY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1793, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA.
6. iii. MOSES SANDERS, b. 20 Nov 1799, Laurens County, South Carolina, USA; d. 29 Oct 1883, Nails Creek, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
7. iv. DANIEL SAMUEL SANDERS, b. 08 Jan 1805, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 02 Aug 1875, Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
v. POLLY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1808, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vi. SARAH SANDERS, b. Abt. 1810, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
8. vii. NATHAN SANDERS, b. 28 Dec 1803, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Abt. 1879, Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
Children of AARON SANDERS and MOURNING THOMPSON are:
viii. JESSE3 SANDERS, b. 1829, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ix. LUCINDA SANDERS, b. 1835, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
x. CAROLINE SANDERS, b. 1836, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
xi. MATTHEW SANDERS, b. 1836, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
Generation No. 3
4. MINYARD3 SANDERS (MOSES JR.2, MOSES SR.1) was born Abt. 1795 in Laurens County, South Carolina, USA, and died Aft. 1870 in Bushville, Banks County, Georgia, USA. He married FLORA MELISSA MCDONALD. She was born Abt. 1796 in Georgia, USA, and died Aft. 1870 in Bushville, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for MINYARD SANDERS:
Miniard Sanders, (26 September) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 55, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1795, Birth Place: South Carolina, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $8,500.00, Household Members: Name Age: Miniard Sanders 55 & Slora Sanders 54, Moses H Sanders 21, James A Sanders 15, Melissa Sanders 10. [Page 70, Line 1-494-494-68]
Mingaile Sanders, (12 September) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 64, Birth Year: abt 1796, Birthplace: South Carolina, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $7,000.00 / $12,165.00, Home in 1860: Militia District 9, Banks, Georgia, Post Office: Nails Creek, Household Members: Name Age: Mingaile Sanders 64 & Flora Sanders 62, Stephen Sanders 56. [Line 35-693-60].
Minjard Sanders, (16 July 1870) United States Federal Census, Race: White, Gender: Male, Age in 1870: 75, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1795, Birthplace: South Carolina, Home in 1870: Bushville, Banks, Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $500.00 / $450.00, Post Office: Homer, Household Members: Name Age: Minjard Sanders 75 & Flora Sanders 72. Washington Mintzs 15, Daniel Mintzs 14. [864-770-20-Page 103]
Children of MINYARD SANDERS and FLORA MCDONALD are:
i. MOSES H.4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1829, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. JAMES A. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1835, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. MELISSA SANDERS, b. 29 Apr 1840, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
5. JOEL3 SANDERS (AARON2, MOSES SR.1) was born Abt. 1790 in Laurens County, South Carolina, USA, and died Abt. 1858. He married ESTHER UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1802 in Georgia, USA.
Notes for JOEL SANDERS:
Joel Sanders, (17 October) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 60, Estimated birth year: abt 1790, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $500.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 903, Household Members: Name Age: Joel Sanders 60 & Esther Sanders 48, John D Sanders 28, William Sanders 24.
Children of JOEL SANDERS and ESTHER UNKNOWN are:
i. JOHN D.4 SANDERS, b. 1822, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. WILLIAM SANDERS, b. 1826, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
6. MOSES3 SANDERS (AARON2, MOSES SR.1) was born 20 Nov 1799 in Laurens County, South Carolina, USA, and died 29 Oct 1883 in Nails Creek, Banks County, Georgia, USA. He married UNKNOWN UNKNOWN. She died Bef. 1850 in Banks County, Georgia, USA.
Children of MOSES SANDERS and UNKNOWN UNKNOWN are:
i. MELISSA4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1828, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
ii. MOSES SANDERS, b. Abt. 1833, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
iii. MARTIN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1835, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
7. DANIEL SAMUEL3 SANDERS (AARON2, MOSES SR.1) was born 08 Jan 1805 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died 02 Aug 1875 in Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA. He married ROSETTA MIRUM HILLHOUSE 18 Feb 1830 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born Abt. 1810 in South Carolina, USA, and died in Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for DANIEL SAMUEL SANDERS:
Samuel Sanders, (17 October) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 45, Estimated birth year: abt 1805, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $800.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 905, Household Members: Name Age: Samuel Sanders 45 & Rosetta Sanders 40, Children: Aaron J Sanders 19, Mary A Sanders 17, Martha A Sanders 15, Samuel H Sanders 13, Joel H Sanders 11, Esther Sanders 11, Rosetta Sanders 9, Daniel C Sanders 7, Elijah M Sanders 5, Charity E Sanders 3. [Page 126, Line 11-5-5]
Daniel Sanders, (27 July) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 55, Birth Year: abt 1805, Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $850.00 / $2,293.00, Home in 1860: Militia District 6, Banks, Georgia, Post Office: Homer, Household Members: Name Age: Daniel Sanders 55 & Mirum R Sanders 50, Mary A Sanders 25, Samuel H Sanders 22, Esther A Sanders 20, Rosetta Sanders 17, Daniel C Sanders 13, Elijah M Sanders 11, John W Sanders 9. [Page 4, 450-22]
More About DANIEL SANDERS and ROSETTA HILLHOUSE:
Marriage: 18 Feb 1830, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of DANIEL SANDERS and ROSETTA HILLHOUSE are:
i. AARON JEFFERSON4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1831, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. MARY A. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1833, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. MARTHA A. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1835, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iv. SAMUEL SANDERS, b. Abt. 1837, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
v. JOEL H. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1839, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vi. ESTHER SANDERS, b. Abt. 1839, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vii. ROSETTA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1841, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
viii. DANIEL SANDERS, b. Abt. 1842, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ix. ELIJAH SANDERS, b. Abt. 1845, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
x. CHARITY E. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1847, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
xi. JOHN W. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1851, Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
8. NATHAN3 SANDERS (AARON2, MOSES SR.1) was born 28 Dec 1803 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died Abt. 1879 in Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA. He married FRANCES HEADEN Abt. 1830 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born Abt. 1806 in Georgia, USA, and died in Homer, Militia District 6, Banks County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for NATHAN SANDERS:
Nathan Sanders, 28 September 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 47, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1803, Birth Place: Georgia, Home in 1850(City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $1,200.00, Household Members: Name Age: Nathan Sanders 47 & Frances Sanders 44, Moses H Sanders 17, William J Sanders 15, Wellborne M Sanders 13, Sarah E Sanders 9, Matthew C Sanders 7, Micajah Sanders 4, Asbury Sanders 3. [Line 18, 7-7]
Nathan Sanders, 5 July 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 57, Birth Year: abt 1803, Birthplace: Georgia, Home in 1860: Militia District 3, Banks, Georgia, Post Office: Homer, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $2,500.00 / $2,041.00, Household Members: Name Age: Nathan Sanders 57 & Frances Sanders 50, Sarah E Sanders 19, Mathew Sanders 16, Louisa Sanders 11, Wylye C Sanders 8. [267-250-8-Page 35]
Nathan Sanders, 7 July 1870 United States Federal Census, Race: White, Gender: Male, Age in 1870: 67, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1803, Birthplace: Georgia, Home in 1870: Homer, Banks, Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $700.00 / $350.00, Post Office: Homer, Household Members: Name Age: Nathan Sanders 67 & Frances Sanders 62, Sarah E Sanders 26, Mathew Sanders 23, Wily S Sanders 16. [554-507-Page 67]
Nathan Sanders, (28 September) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 47, Estimated birth year: abt 1803, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: N/A, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 547, Household Members: Name Age: Nathan Sanders 47 & Frances Sanders 44, Children: Moses H Sanders 17, William J Sanders 15, Wellborne M Sanders 13 (Son), Sarah E Sanders 9, Matthew C Sanders 7, Micajah Sanders 4 (Son), Asbury Sanders 3 (Daughter). [Page 77 of 218, Line 18-7-7]
More About NATHAN SANDERS and FRANCES HEADEN:
Marriage: Abt. 1830, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of NATHAN SANDERS and FRANCES HEADEN are:
9. i. MOSES H.O.4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1833, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. WILLIAM J. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1835, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. WELLBORNE M. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1837, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iv. SARAH E. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1841, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
v. MATTHEW C. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1843, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vi. MICAJAH SANDERS, b. Abt. 1846, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vii. LOUISA ASBURY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1847, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
viii. WILEY C. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1852, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
Generation No. 4
9. MOSES H.O.4 SANDERS (NATHAN3, AARON2, MOSES SR.1) was born Abt. 1833 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA. He married RHODA ANN IVY 18 Nov 1855 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born Abt. 1835 in Georgia, USA.
Notes for MOSES H.O. SANDERS:
Moses H O Sanders, 2 July 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 27, Birth Year: abt 1833, Birthplace: Georgia, Home in 1860: Militia District 3, Banks, Georgia, Post Office: Homer, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $105.00, Household Members: Name Age: Moses H O Sanders 27 & Rhoda A Sanders 35, Mary E F Sanders 3. [234-218-3]
Marriage Notes for MOSES SANDERS and RHODA IVY:
Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944: Moses H. Sanders, Spouse: Rhoda Ann Ivy, Marriage Date: 18 Nov 1855, County: Franklin, State: Georgia.
More About MOSES SANDERS and RHODA IVY:
Marriage: 18 Nov 1855, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Child of MOSES SANDERS and RHODA IVY is:
i. MARY E.F.5 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1857, Homer, Banks County, Georgia, USA.

Re: Elias "Plummer" Sanders [1775-1865] (h/o Mary Carter)

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 12:15AM GMT
ELIAS PLUMMER1 SANDERS was born Abt. 1775 in North Carolina, USA, and died Abt. 1860 in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA. He married MARY CARTER Abt. 1796. She was born Abt. 1775 in South Carolina, USA, and died in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for ELIAS PLUMMER SANDERS:
Franklin County became Georgia's 9th county in 1784 in honor of Ben Franklin. It covered all of what is now Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Jackson, Oconee, and Stephens counties, parts of Gwinnett, Hall, Hart, and Madison counties, as well as three counties in South Carolina. The county seat is Carnesville, Georgia, Cities and towns: Canon -- Carnesville -- Franklin Springs -- Gumlog -- Lavonia - Martin -- Narrows -- Royston
Elias Sanders (15 November) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 75, Estimated birth year: abt 1775, Birth Place: North Carolina, Occupation: Farmer, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 1284, Household Members: Name Age: Elias Sanders 75 & Mary Sanders 75, Jane Dyer 35, Julia Dyer 12. [329-Line 39-4-4]
Elias Plummer Sanders Genealogy Report: Note: the information in this report is from several different sources and has not been totally verified at this date.
1st Generation
1. Elias Plummer SANDERS (Sr) (Unknown1) was born 1775 in MD or NC and died About, 1865 in Hart Co, GA. He married Mary CARTER . She was born 1775 in 1796, South Carolina, and died Between 1850 and 1860 in Hart County, Georgia, daughter of Thomas Carter and (unknown).
Children of Elias Plummer SANDERS (Sr) and Mary CARTER:
i. 2. Thomas "Kit" SANDERS was born About 1808.
ii. 3. Elias SANDERS (Jr) was born About 1809 in Hart County, Georgia.
iii. 4. Jonathan P SANDERS was born About 1810.
iv. 5. Calvin Plummer SANDERS was born About 1812.
v. 6. Samuel B SANDERS was born June 22, 1808 in Elbert (Hart) County, Georgia. (
vi. 7. Patience SANDERS was born January 11, 1818 and died February 24, 1907.
vii. 8. Lewis Manley SANDERS was born About 1816.
viii. 9. Rachel SANDERS was born About 1820.
ix.10. Mary SANDERS was born About 1800.
Notes on Elias Plummer SANDERS (Sr)
1: Background: According to grandchildren Lewis Sanders Jr. and Rhoda (Sanders) Lattay, Elias was a full blooded Cherokee Indian, born in NC (other sources indicate he may have been born in Maryland, and moved to North Carolina before moving to Georgia). His birth name was Elias Plummer. From the known facts it can be assumed that his mother and father were Cherokee. Some researchers have suggested that his mother's name was Mary who married a Plummer in Maryland but this is not proven.
Elias was adopted by a Sanders family, and lived and owned land in Hart Cty, Georgia.
2: Indian Ancestry: A number of people have published information on the Internet stating Elias was an "Indian from the Plumer or Plummer Indian Tribe". Others have said that it was his wife Mary Carter that was Indian. The source of the lumer/Plummer Indian myth probably originated from the book "The History Of Hart County Georgia" by John William Baker . In this book Baker states that Elias Sanders (Jr.) father was "thought to be British, his mother, an Indian woman from the Plumer Tribe". This error has caused widespread errors and misinformation on Genealogy websites. What is known, Elias Sanders Sr. Indian heritage comes from documentation that was part of a Federal Court case. In 1902 the Cherokee Nation filed suit against the United States Government concerning grievances arising out of treaties. On May 18, 1905, the court decided in favor of the Eastern Cherokees and more than $1 million was appropriated by Congress for use in payment of these claims. Guion Miller was appointed as a Special commissioner of the Court of Claims. The Guion Miller Rolls (1) are the official records of applications by descendants of The Cherokee Indian Tribe claiming compensation. In these papers we find that two of Elias grandchildren made application as follows:
1. Lewis Marion Sanders Jr (son of Lewis Sanders & Prude Miller) (wife's name Lettie).
He listed his children as JB, Henry, Andy, Lessie, Margarette, his grandfather as Elias & grandmother as Mary, both born in North Carolina. He says "Elias Sanders a Cherokee Indian was my grandfather on my fathers' side." His statements were attested to by W. R. Pullian and A. J. White.
2. Rhoda (Sanders) Lattay, the daughter of Calvin P. Sanders (son of Elias Sanders Sr). Mrs. Lattay stated "I claim through my grandfather a Cherokee Indian by the name of Elias Plummer who was adopted by the Sanders". The applications for compensation were disallowed because they could not demonstrate that Elias was a party to a treaty nor could they "prove" that he was a member of an Indian tribe.
However, that does not mean that he was not of Indian ancestry. Records from the 1775 time period may no longer exist so 'proof' of birth and other records could have been impossible. Note on the Guion Miller Cherokee Rolls: The Cherokee Nation filed suit in 1902 concerning grievances arising out of treaties with the Federal Government. These suits were: 1. The Cherokee Nation v. The United States, General-Jurisdiction Case No. Z3199; 2. The Eastern and Emigrant Cherokees v. the United States, General- Jurisdiction case No.23212; 3. The Eastern Cherokees v. The United States, General-Jurisdiction Case No. 23214; 3. Land Records In Georgia.
Quote from "History Of Hart County" by John William Baker: "We have in our possession, from the Secretary of the State, a certified copy of a plot of land containing 250 acres, granted to Elias Sanders in 1808, bounded on the north by Lightwood Log Creek, which stream at that time was the line between Elbert and Franklin counties’ east by lands of Henry Sanders; south by vacant lands and west by lands of Johnathon Payne, all of said described tract lying in Elbert (now Hart) County, and on which is located the site of the old home and cemetery of the Sander’s
family."
More About ELIAS SANDERS and MARY CARTER:
Marriage: Abt. 1796
Children of ELIAS SANDERS and MARY CARTER are:
2. i. ELIAS2 SANDERS, b. 10 Jan 1797, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 28 Oct 1885, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
ii. MARY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1800, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 23 Jun 1833, Elbert County, Georgia, USA; m. JAMES A. VICKERY; b. Abt. 1795, Georgia, USA; d. 12 Jul 1838, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for JAMES A. VICKERY:
James was killed accidently not far from the present city of Hartwell. According to tradition, he and his brother-in-law, Calvin P. Sanders, were engaged in catching wild hogs, which perhaps were hogs that belonged to them that had strayed off into the forest, they gun they had with them discharged and killed James Vickery.
3. iii. THOMAS P. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1801, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Abt. 1897, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
4. iv. CALVIN PLUMMER SANDERS, b. Abt. 1803, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Abt. 1883, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
5. v. LEWIS MANLEY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1804, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
6. vi. SAMUEL B. SANDERS, b. 22 Jun 1808, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 24 Mar 1889, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
7. vii. JONATHAN P. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1811, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Bef. 1860, Dooleys, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
viii. RACHAEL SANDERS, b. Abt. 1814, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Abt. 1856, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA; m. JOEL HUNTER, 03 Nov 1827, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; b. Abt. 1794, Penderton, South Carolina, USA.
More About JOEL HUNTER and RACHAEL SANDERS:
Marriage: 03 Nov 1827, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
ix. PATIENCE SANDERS, b. 11 Jan 1818, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 24 Feb 1907; m. (1) JOHN W. SMITH; b. Abt. 1815; m. (2) JOSEPH HIGHTOWER VICKERY, 08 Apr 1833, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; b. Abt. 1813, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Abt. 1840.
More About JOSEPH VICKERY and PATIENCE SANDERS:
Marriage: 08 Apr 1833, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Generation No. 2
2. ELIAS2 SANDERS (ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born 10 Jan 1797 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died 28 Oct 1885 in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA. He married JULIA VICKERY. She was born Abt. 1800 in Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for ELIAS SANDERS:
Elias Sanders, (1 October) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 53, Estimated birth year: abt 1797, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $400.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 950, Household Members: Name Age: Elias Sanders 53 & Luda Sanders 50, Samuel Sanders 22, Alford Sanders 20, Thomas Sanders 18, Meneve (Monroe ?) Sanders 15, Elias Sanders 12, Francis Sanders 9, Emelie Sanders 8, James Sanders 5. [Line 8-950-950]
Elias Sanders, (30 June) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 63, Birth Year: abt 1797, Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $800.00 / $400.00, Home in 1860: Hartwell, Hart, Georgia, Post Office: Hartwell, Household Members: Name Age: Elias Sanders 63 & Juda Sanders 60, Monroe Sanders 23, Franklin Sanders 18, Milley Sanders 16, James Sanders 14. [Page 483-Line 17-732-732]
Children of ELIAS SANDERS and JULIA VICKERY are:
8. i. NATHAN3 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1825, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Abt. 1855, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
ii. SAMUEL SANDERS, b. Abt. 1828, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
iii. ALFRED SANDERS, b. Abt. 1830, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
iv. THOMAS SANDERS, b. Abt. 1832, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
v. MONROE SANDERS, b. Abt. 1835, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
vi. ELIAS SANDERS, b. Abt. 1838, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
vii. FRANCIS FRANKLIN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1841, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
viii. EMILY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1842, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
ix. JAMES SANDERS, b. Abt. 1845, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
3. THOMAS P.2 SANDERS (ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Abt. 1801 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died Abt. 1897 in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA. He married ISABELLA TOTMAN 16 Sep 1819 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born Abt. 1810 in Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for THOMAS P. SANDERS:
Thomas Sanders (23 September) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 49, Estimated birth year: abt 1801, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $1,400.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 405, Household Members: Name Age: Thomas Sanders 49 & Isabella Sanders 40, Ralshel Sanders 18, Joshua Sanders 15, Melina Sanders 11, Emilia Sanders 7, Thomas Sanders 5, Chandler Sanders 4, Martha Sanders 2. [Page 57, Line 22-5-5]
Thomas Sanders, (2 July) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 63, Birth Year: abt 1797, Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $1,000.00 / $500.00, Home in 1860: Hartwell, Hart, Georgia, Post Office: Hartwell, Household Members: Name Age: Thomas Sanders 63 & Isabella Sanders 54, Milley E Sanders 21, Thomas Sanders 19, Asa C Sanders 17, Martha E Sanders 14, Rhody J Sanders 7. [Page 100, Line 1-747-747]
The members of the original Sanders family, as a rule, were of remarkable longevity and we quote:"Tom (Kit) is now nearly 97, and his father Elias, was near the same age when the spirit bade the hills adieu and mounted upward. Rev. Calvin Sanders, recently deceased was over eighty when he died. Mr. Hudgens related the following incident concerning him:
A dispute as to certain boundary lines was being tried in court, Judge Pottle presiding. Calvin Sanders was on the witness stand, and the question was asked, how long the land lying just below the trestle had been in cultivation. 'Sixty-eight years this spring,' answered the witness, a tall stalwart man with hair as black as a raven's wing and never a streak of gray. "What did you say?' asked the Judge, doubting if he heard aright. 'Sixty-eight years,' came the answer promptly.
'How do you know this land was in cultivation for sixty-eight years?' 'Because sixty-eight years ago this spring I helped my father clear it.' 'How old are you, Mr. Sanders?' asked the astonished Judge. 'I am 78 years old.' The judge said he had no idea that he was more than forty-five." [Source: article written by John H. McGill]
Marriage Notes for THOMAS SANDERS and ISABELLA TOTMAN:
Georgia Marriages to 1850: Thomas Sanders, Spouse: Isabel Totman, Marriage Date: 16 Sep 1819, Marriage County: Elbert, Marriage State: Georgia.
More About THOMAS SANDERS and ISABELLA TOTMAN:
Marriage: 16 Sep 1819, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of THOMAS SANDERS and ISABELLA TOTMAN are:
i. LAVINIA3 SANDERS, b. Aft. 1820, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. MARY POLLY SANDERS, b. Aft. 1820, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
9. iii. BENJAMIN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1823, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iv. REBECCA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1824, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
v. RACHAEL SANDERS, b. Abt. 1832, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vi. JOSHUA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1835, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vii. MELINA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1839, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
viii. EMILIA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1843, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ix. THOMAS SANDERS, b. Abt. 1845, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
x. ASA CHANDLER SANDERS, b. Abt. 1846, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
xi. MARTHA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1848, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
xii. RHODY J. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1853, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
4. CALVIN PLUMMER2 SANDERS (ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Abt. 1803 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died Abt. 1883 in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA. He married SARAH MILLER, daughter of JEREMIAH MILLER and OPHRA ANDERSON. She was born Abt. 1808 in Georgia, USA, and died in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for CALVIN PLUMMER SANDERS:
Calvin P Sanders, (21 October) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 47, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1803, Birth Place: Georgia, Home in 1850(City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $1,300.00, Household Members: Name Age: Calvin P Sanders 47 & Sarah Sanders 42, Gensey Sanders 20, Jeremiah Sanders 18, Mary Sanders 16, Orpha Sanders 14, Rhoda Sanders 12, Asbury Sanders 10, Thornton Sanders 7, Mallory Sanders 4, Eliza Sanders 2. [Page 131, 132-Line 41-960-395]
C P Sanders, (29 June) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 54, Birth Year: abt 1806, Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $2,500.00 / $300.00, Home in 1860: Hartwell, Hart, Georgia, Post Office: Hartwell, Household Members: Name Age: C P Sanders 54 & Sarah Sanders 50, Children: Orpha Sanders 24, Albury Sanders 19, Thornton Sanders 17, Malerry Sanders 14. [Page 88, Line 35-670-670]
Children of CALVIN SANDERS and SARAH MILLER are:
i. GINSEY3 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1825, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. ALICE SANDERS, b. Abt. 1827, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. JEREMIAH SANDERS, b. Abt. 1832, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iv. MARY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1834, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
v. ORPHA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1836, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vi. RHODA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1838, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
10. vii. ANDERSON ASBURY SANDERS, b. Oct 1840, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. Abt. 1915, Lafayette, Upshur County, Texas, USA.
11. viii. THOMAS THORNTON SANDERS, b. Abt. 1843, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ix. MALLORY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1846, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
x. ELIZA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1848, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
5. LEWIS MANLEY2 SANDERS (ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Abt. 1804 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA. He married PRUDENCE MILLER 05 Aug 1824 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA, daughter of JEREMIAH MILLER and OPHRA ANDERSON. She was born Abt. 1805 in Georgia, USA.
Notes for LEWIS MANLEY SANDERS:
Georgia Marriages to 1850
Lewis Sanders, Spouse: Prudence Millner, Marriage Date: 5 Aug 1824, Marriage County: Franklin, Marriage State: Georgia.
Georgia Marriages to 1850
Lewis Sanders, Spouse: Sarah Eaton, Marriage Date: 6 Sep 1846, Marriage County: Franklin, Marriage State: Georgia.
Lewis M Sanders, (29 June) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 56, Birth Year: abt 1804, Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: $800.00 / $400.00, Home in 1860: Hartwell, Hart, Georgia, Post Office: Hartwell, Household Members: Name Age: Lewis M Sanders 56 & Sarah Sanders 35, Lewis S Sanders 24, William H Sanders 21, Mary Sanders 26, Rachel Sanders 18, Alfred Sanders 15, {Twin} Alpha Sanders 15, Marth Sanders 12, Thomas B Sanders 5,
Nelson Sanders 3, Phillips Sanders 1. [Line 23-674-674]
More About LEWIS SANDERS and PRUDENCE MILLER:
Marriage: 05 Aug 1824, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of LEWIS SANDERS and PRUDENCE MILLER are:
i. JAMES3 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1825, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
ii. LEWIS S. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1836, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
6. SAMUEL B.2 SANDERS (ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born 22 Jun 1808 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died 24 Mar 1889 in Elbert County, Georgia, USA. He married ANNA SKELTON 24 Jan 1828 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born 22 Jun 1811 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died 11 Feb 1896 in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for SAMUEL B. SANDERS:
Samuel Sanders, (23 September) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 43, Estimated birth year: abt 1807, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $400.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 400, Household Members: Name Age: Samuel Sanders 43 & Anna Sanders 35, Martha Sanders 18, William Sanders 16, James Sanders 14, Swan Sanders 10, Thornton Sanders 6, Thomas Sanders 4, Willis Sanders 0. [Line 37-400-400]
Samuel B Sanders, (26 June) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 54, Birth Year: abt 1806, Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Clergyman, Value of real estate: $1,300.00 / $300.00, Home in 1860: Hartwell, Hart, Georgia, Post Office: Hartwell, Household Members: Name Age: Samuel B Sanders 54 & Annah Sanders 47, James M Sanders 22, Swan H Sanders 18, Benjamin T Sanders 15, Thomas H Sanders 13, John W Sanders 12, Mary A Sanders 8, Samuel H Sanders 5, Martha Roy 16, Elizabeth Skelton 100. [Page 80, Line 32-614-614]
More About SAMUEL SANDERS and ANNA SKELTON:
Marriage: 24 Jan 1828, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of SAMUEL SANDERS and ANNA SKELTON are:
i. ELIZABETH3 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1830, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. MARTHA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1832, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. WILLIAM R. SANDERS, b. 24 Aug 1834, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 25 Oct 1890, Madison, Georgia, USA.
iv. JAMES M. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1836, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
v. SWAN HARDIN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1840, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vi. BENJAMIN THORNTON SANDERS, b. Abt. 1844, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vii. THOMAS H. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1846, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
viii. JOHN WILLIS SANDERS, b. Abt. 1850, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ix. MARY A. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1852, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
x. SAMUEL HARRISON SANDERS, b. 11 Jan 1855, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
7. JONATHAN P.2 SANDERS (ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Abt. 1811 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died Bef. 1860 in Dooleys, Hart County, Georgia, USA. He married ORPHA MILLER, daughter of JEREMIAH MILLER and OPHRA ANDERSON. She was born Abt. 1815 in Georgia, USA.
Notes for JONATHAN P. SANDERS:
Jonathan P Sanders, (27 September) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 38, Estimated birth year: abt 1812, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $1,370.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 522, Household Members: Name Age: Jonathan P Sanders 38 & Orpha Sanders 35, Children: William A Sanders 16, Martha Sanders 14, Elias H Sanders 11, Mathew L G Sanders 8, Gilbert D T Sanders 5, Melissa E J Sanders 2; Jeremiah Miller 74 & Orpha Miller 69. [275-Line 24-2-2]
Orpha Sanders, (19 June) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Female, Age in 1860: 48, Birth Year: abt 1812, Birthplace: Georgia, Home in 1860: Dooleys, Hart, Georgia, Post Office: Oak Bower, Occupation: Farmer, Value of real estate: N/A, Household Members: Name Age: Orpha Sanders 48, Elias H Sanders 20, Gilbert L Sanders 14, Malissa J Sanders 12, Mary E Sanders 10, Sarah C Sanders 7. [Page 52, Line 5-387-387]
Children of JONATHAN SANDERS and ORPHA MILLER are:
i. WILLIAM ANDERSON3 SANDERS, b. 24 Jan 1834, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA; d. 26 Mar 1925, Elbert County, Georgia, USA.
ii. MARTHA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1836, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. ELIAS H. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1839, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iv. MATTHEW L.G. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1842, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
v. GILBERT D.T. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1845, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
vi. MELISSA E.J. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1848, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
Generation No. 3
8. NATHAN3 SANDERS (ELIAS2, ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Abt. 1825 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died Abt. 1855 in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA. He married AMY DYER Abt. 1844 in Franklin County, Georgia, USA. She was born Abt. 1828 in Georgia, USA, and died in Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for NATHAN SANDERS:
Nathan Sanders, (21 October) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 25, Estimated birth year: abt 1825, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $200.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 951, Household Members: Name Age, Nathan Sanders 25 & Amy Sanders 22, Children: Emily Sanders 6, John Sanders 4, Elias Sanders 2; William Rider 20 (Farmer). [Page 132 of 218, Line 18-1-1]
Notes for AMY DYER:
Wm J McLane, (29 June) 1860 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age in 1860: 23, Birth Year: abt 1837, Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Home in 1860: Hartwell, Hart, Georgia, Post Office: Hartwell, Value of real estate: N/A, Household Members: Name Age: Wm J McLane 23 & Amy McLane 35, Wm T McLane 3, James M McLane 1; Emily Sanders 15, John Sanders 12, Elias Sanders 10, Samuel Sanders 8, Nathan Sanders 6. [Page 481, Line 26-723].
More About NATHAN SANDERS and AMY DYER:
Marriage: Abt. 1844, Franklin County, Georgia, USA
Children of NATHAN SANDERS and AMY DYER are:
i. EMILY4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1845, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. JOHN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1846, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. ELIAS SANDERS, b. Abt. 1848, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iv. SAMUEL SANDERS, b. Abt. 1852, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
v. NATHAN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1854, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.
9. BENJAMIN3 SANDERS (THOMAS P.2, ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Abt. 1823 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA. He married SOPHIA UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1825 in South Carolina, USA.
Notes for BENJAMIN SANDERS:
Benjamin Sanders, (21 September) 1850 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Age: 27, Estimated birth year: abt 1823, Birth Place: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Value of Real Estate: $300.00, Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 32, Franklin, Georgia, Family Number: 389, Household Members: Name Age: Benjamin Sanders 27 & Sopha Sanders 25, Children: Catharine Sanders 5, Nancy A Sanders 3, Susan Sanders 1. [Page 55 of 216, Line 7-9-9]
Children of BENJAMIN SANDERS and SOPHIA UNKNOWN are:
i. CATHARINE4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1845, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
ii. NANCY A. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1847, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
iii. SUSAN SANDERS, b. Abt. 1849, District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA.
10. ANDERSON ASBURY3 SANDERS (CALVIN PLUMMER2, ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Oct 1840 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA, and died Abt. 1915 in Lafayette, Upshur County, Texas, USA. He married RACHAEL ANN THOMAS Abt. 1857. She was born Abt. 1837 in Mississippi, USA, and died Abt. 1890 in Franklin County, Arkansas, USA.
Notes for ANDERSON ASBURY SANDERS:
Anderson Sanders, U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, Age at enlistment: 20, Enlistment Date: 28 Jun 1862, Rank at enlistment: Private, Promoted to Full Corporal. Enlistment Place: Washington County, Arkansas, State Served: Arkansas , Survived the War?: Yes, Service Record: Enlisted in Company A, Arkansas 1st Cavalry Regiment on 28 Jun 1862.Birth Date: abt 1842, Death Date: 16 Aug 1920. [Sources: Index to Compiled Military Service Records, 1st Arkansas Union Cavalry - Arkansas Research.
A A Sanders, (13 July) 1870 United States Federal Census, Race: White, Gender: Male, Age in 1870: 27, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843, Birthplace: Georgia, Home in 1870: Post Office: Holly Springs, Township 6 Range 2, Marshall, Mississippi, Value of real estate: $50.00, Occupation: Farmer, Household Members: Name Age: A A Sanders 27 & Racheal Sanders 30, Virginia Sanders 12, James Sanders 3, Aurelia Sanders 1. [Page 7-Line 6]
A. A. Sanders, (21 June) 1880 United States Federal Census, Race: White, Gender: Male, Age: 38, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842, Birthplace: Georgia, Father's birthplace: Georgia, Mother's birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Home in 1880: Sardis, Panola, Mississippi, Relation to head-of-household: Self (Head), Marital Status: Married, Spouse's name: Rachell, Household Members: Name Age: A. A. Sanders 38 & Rachell Sanders 43, James A. Sanders 14, Artela Sanders 11, J. F. Sanders 3, T. D. Sanders 6 Months, V. Chilcoat 22. [Page 31-Line 9].
Anderson Sanders, (20 June) 1900 United States Federal Census, Gender: Male, Race: White, Ethnicity: American, Age: 59, Birth Date: Oct 1840, Birthplace: Georgia, Father's Birthplace: Georgia, Mother's Birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farmer, Home in 1900: Justice Precinct 4, Camp, Texas, Relationship to head-of-house: Father-in-law, Marital Status: Widowed, Residence : Justice Precinct 4, Camp, Texas,
Household Members: Name Age: Torne James 37 & Artily (Artela) James 32, Bertha James 13, Walter James 11, John James 10, Osca James 7, Frank James 5, Jessie James 3, Anderson Sanders 59, Dudly Sanders 20. [94A-Sheet 12-line 6]
Anderson A Sanders, (20 April) 1910 United States Federal Census, Race: White, Gender: Male, Age in 1910: 68, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842, Birthplace: Georgia, Father's Birth Place: Georgia, Mother's Birth Place: Georgia, Relation to Head-of-house: Father, Home in 1910: Lafayette, Upshur, Texas, Marital Status: Widowed, Household Members: Name Age: T Dudley Sanders 28 & Nancy Sanders 23, Lillie T Sanders 5, Anderson A Sanders 68. [3b-Line 70-56-56]
Chuck, 10 June 2009 (Copied from ancestry.com)
Just wanted to touch base with you. Are any of the Sanders via Ark, or Collin County,Tx? My GGgpa is bured at Gilmer, Upsher Co, Tx. His name was Anderson Asbery(Asbury)Sanders, served in the Civil War and was b 1840 in Jones Co, Ga. m1. Rachel Thomason Sanders , m2,Eliza Corder . He may have lived in Ozark, Franklin Co, Ar. We have no sib or parents to attach him . Have you ever heard anything about this family. My Ggpa was James Anderson Sanders b.1867 Tn. m. Martha Talitha Isabelle James (Belle) and his son my Gpa was Chester Ernest Sanders b. Yell Co, Ar 1886.m1. Ollie Ann Bowen, 2m Leliar Conway. My dad is his son and was born James Albert Sanders in Hughes Co, Ok.1912.M. Ollie Lee McMillan. Do you have any info or clues of where I might look. I'm at a dead end.
AA & Rachel had children and lived in MS after the civil war. The children are:Lou Ginger b1858 MS (Campbell), James Anderson b 1867 TN, Nancy Artelia b 1869, MS (James), Lum b.bet1870-1880, MS, Rhome b. bet 1870-1880, ?, JF b 1877, MS, Theodore Dudley 1879,MS, Lewis Napoleon 1882, MS.
Notes for RACHAEL ANN THOMAS:
Rachell Sanders, (21 June) 1880 United States Federal Census, Race: White, Gender: Female, Marital Status: Married, Age: 43, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837, Birthplace: Mississippi, Father's birthplace: Alabama, Mother's birthplace: Alabama, Relation to head-of-household: Wife, Spouse's name: A. A., Occupation: Keeping House, Home in 1880: Sardis, Panola, Mississippi.
More About ANDERSON SANDERS and RACHAEL THOMAS:
Marriage: Abt. 1857
Children of ANDERSON SANDERS and RACHAEL THOMAS are:
i. LOUISE VIRGINIA4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1858, Mississippi, USA.
ii. JAMES ANDERSON SANDERS, b. Abt. 1867, Tennessee, USA.
iii. NANCY ARTELA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1869, Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, USA.
iv. J.F. SANDERS, b. Abt. 1877, Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, USA.
v. THEODORE DUDLEY SANDERS, b. Dec 1880, Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, USA.
vi. LEWIS NAPOLEON SANDERS, b. Abt. 1882, Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, USA.
vii. LUM SANDERS, b. Abt. 1884, Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, USA.
viii. RHOME SANDERS, b. Abt. 1886, Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, USA.
11. THOMAS THORNTON3 SANDERS (CALVIN PLUMMER2, ELIAS PLUMMER1) was born Abt. 1843 in District 32, Franklin County, Georgia, USA. He married JANE UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1842 in Georgia, USA.
Child of THOMAS SANDERS and JANE UNKNOWN is:
i. ELLEN4 SANDERS, b. Abt. 1859, Hartwell, Hart County, Georgia, USA.

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 10:05PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders
Hi rjsaun, I would like to thank you for sharing your information on this line of Sanders. It is also my line of Sanders. Now I will be able to fill in what i don't have.
I am from William Earl Sanders 3x to John to Christopher and so forth.
I also have been trying to connect Anderson Asbury Sanders, just havn't worked to hard at it lately. I just knew we were related.
Thank you '
Nancy Sanders,pa. ( The Nancy came from my maternal side)

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 6:58PM GMT
Hi All,

This thread has me confused. I am a direct descendant of Rev. Moses Sanders (GGGG Grandson). Bill Curry mentioned in this msg., is a DNA Cousin of mine, but he is not direct line with Moses, but descended from one of Moses' brothers. Most, well lots of the information about him in this msg, is out dated, or just plain wrong.

Bill, if you find this msg., would you go back to the ancestry.com site that you put the info into, and correct it?

For anyone else related in anyway to Moses Sanders or his brothers or sister, please contact me for membership in a family web site.
cmsanders@citlink.net

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 9:10PM GMT
Do you have any more information on James M. Sanders, son of Samuel B.? There seems to be conflicting info on him.

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 9:25PM GMT
I am from the line of Elias Sanders of the Cherokee Nation. My ancester is from Samuel B., too, James' brother, John Willis. My grandfather was Samuel Leland Sanders I have information only that James was the 2nd son of Samuel B. Sanders and Annie Skelton and was killed during the civil war. Samuel B. and Annie were buried in the Reed Creek baptist Church cemetary. Maybe he is buried there, too.I have that he was not married. He could be looked up under the military unit of which he served to find out where he fought and died during the civil war. I have a lot of information on the families of Sanders, Vickery, Edwards, and some Reynolds, families. Good luck! A cousin!!

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 2:01PM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2011 2:54PM GMT
Surnames: sanders, vickery, plummer, plumer
I descend from Elias Sanders through his daughter, Mary Sanders, the wife of John Vickery. Please add me to the list of researchers who do not believe that Elias Sanders was of Indian ancestry. It makes a wonderful story but is not supported by fact. It is rare to find mis-statements in John Baker's book, but (a) he doesn't state it as fact and (b) he very likely relied on stories told by Elias' grandchildren (who were Baker's contemporaries) and who hoped Elias was a Cherokee. The fact that their claim for compensation was denied due to lack of proof of tribal connection refutes rather than supports the idea of Indian ancestry.

I have been unable to find any source for a Plumer tribe, nor was it the case that 18th century Indians were given last names such as Plummer or Plumer. AIthough it's remotely possible he could have been an Indian child who was first adopted by a family named Plummer or Plumer and subsequently adopted by the Sanders family, such a scenario seems highly unlikely and gets us no further toward figuring out who these unidentified Plummer or Sanders parents were. The more likely story is that Elias Sanders was of British descent and born in Maryland to a mother whose maiden name was Plumer. There is a great deal of research and several books on the Plumer family, which was prominent in Maryland during colonial times.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 4:17AM GMT
Thank you rjsaun. You have provided such a wealth of information that I am compelled to inquire further.
I am an African American whose gggrandfather was Bryant Sanders b.1820 NC, moved and married in Thomas County, GA and had a grandson named Plummer Saunders (note the name change that still exists between). Some of Bryant's children are listed as mullattos in one of the census which means that they may have been of Anglo or Native American descent.

All of this probably means nothing related to your posts, but I must ask if in your research, did you find any information regarding the slaves of any of your ancestors in NC or GA? I would be very interested and appreciative if you have information to provide.

Thank you.

Re: Bryant & Cherry Sanders > Thomasville, GA

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 12:00AM GMT
BRYANT1 SANDERS was born 1820 in North Carolina, USA, and died 10 Feb 1895 in Lakeland, Polk County, Florida, USA. He married CHERRY UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1830 in Georgia, USA, and died in Lakeland, Polk County, Florida, USA.
Notes for BRYANT SANDERS:
Bryant Sanders, (14 December) 1870 United States Federal Census, Race: Black, Gender: Male, Age in 1870: 50, Birth Year: abt 1820, Birthplace: North Carolina, Home in 1870: Militia District 637, Thomas, Georgia, post Office: Thomasville, Value of real estate: $400.00, Occupation: Farmer; Household Members: Name Age: Bryant Sanders 50 & Cherry Sanders 40, Children: Rance Sanders 20, Fanny Sanders 18, Jonah Sanders 14, Simon Sanders 12, Rachel Sanders 11, Netta Sanders 7, Peggy Sanders 3. [Page 33-48, Line 4-255-275].
Bryant Sanders, (19 June) 1880 United States Federal Census, Race: Black, Gender: Male, Age: 63, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1817, Birthplace: Florida, Father's birthplace: Florida, Mother's birthplace: Florida, Occupation: Laborer, Home in 1880: West Glawgow, Thomas, Georgia, Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head), Marital Status: Married, Spouse's Name: Cherry Sanders, Household Members: Name Age: Bryant Sanders 63 & Cherry Sanders 50, Nettie Sanders 19, Peggy Sanders 12, Beckie Sanders 10. [Page 24, District 5-80, Line 39-248-353].
Children of BRYANT SANDERS and CHERRY UNKNOWN are:
i. RANCE2 SAUNDERS, b. Abt. 1850, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for RANCE SAUNDERS:
Rance Sanders, (11 June) 1880 United States Federal Census, Race: Black, Gender: Male, Age: 28, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852, Birthplace: Georgia, Father's birthplace: North Carolina, Mother's birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farm Laborer, Home in 1880: Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head), Marital Status: Married, Spouse's Name: Florance Sanders, Household Members: Name Age: Rance Sanders 28 & Florance Sanders 35, Children: James M. Sanders 15 (Step-son) Jeff Sanders 14 (Step-son) Eddie Sanders 7 (Step-son), J. F. Sanders 5 (Daughter), Jennie Sanders 1. [Page 32, District 5-81, Line 1-244-227].
ii. FANNY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1852, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA.
iii. JONAH SANDERS, b. Abt. 1856, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA.
iv. SIMON SANDERS, b. Abt. 1858, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA.
Notes for SIMON SANDERS:
Simon Sanders (24 June) 1880 United States Federal Census, Race: Black, Gender: Male, Age: 22, Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858, Birthplace: Georgia, Father's birthplace: Georgia, Mother's birthplace: Georgia, Occupation: Farm Laborer, Home in 1880: West Glawgow, Thomas County, Georgia, Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head), Marital Status: Married, Spouse's Name: Rose Sanders, Household Members: Name Age: Simon Sanders 22 & Rose Sanders 18, daughter Mamie Sanders 6 months. [Page 33, District 5-80, Line 32].
v. RACHEL SANDERS, b. Abt. 1859, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA.
vi. NETTA SANDERS, b. Abt. 1863, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA.
vii. PEGGY SANDERS, b. Abt. 1867, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA.
viii. BEBECCA SANDERS, b. 09 Oct 1870, Thomasville, Thomas County, Georgia, USA; d. Lakeland, Polk County, Florida, USA.
Notes for BEBECCA SANDERS:
John and Rebecca Boyd, American Life Histories March 3, 1939 , Lakeland, Polk, FL,
25996, Federal Writers' Project. Paul Diggs, Lakeland , Florida, March 3, 1939
Boyd, John and Rebecca, 827 Missouri Avenue, Lakeland , Florida
JOHN AND REBECCA BOYD, WELL DIGGER AND FARMER
In the City of Lakeland , located in the heart of the Citrus development of the State of Florida , there lives a Negro family who has seen Lakeland grow to it's present stage of development. They have maintained their respectability from their pionering period to the present time. The members of the family consist of, John and his wife Rebecca, their son Bryan, and John's two sisters Mary and Mattie. Mattie is the first Negro baby to be born in Lakeland , Florida .
John is tall and rawboned. He walks a little bent over, he is dark in complexion, with many gray hairs in his head. John was born in Cario, Georgia , having passed his sixty fifth birthday. His parents were Willis J. and Gabrella Boyd.
Rebecc a is very small in size, four feet and five inches in height, dark brown in complexion, with gray hairs in her head. They were very congenial and above the average in intelligence.
Rebecca said, " I will do the best I can to tell you about our early life, and what I found when I came to Lakeland in [1898?]. I came here from Thomasville, Georgia, where I was born. My parents Bryant and [Cherry Sanders?], were slaves. When I was small I used to hear them talk about slavery time. They said their slave master was Mr. [M.?.] Hutch [Futch]. They [had?], father said, one hundred and fifty slaves on the plantation. He was considered a good slave master. Father died February [10?], 1895, at the age of seventy years old. My mother died in 1909. Our son Bryant was born in 1884, and I was born October 9,1870.
" I married John while he was working in Arcadia, Florida, December 12,1900. My parents rented land to farm on in Thomasville, Georgia. They once had one hundred and fifty acres, and called it a three horse farm. There were fifteen children in our family, all of them are deceased except myself."
" When we came to Lakeland we settled near the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, near Lake Weir. At that time, nearly all the colored people lived in that section. There was about one hundred colored people living in Lakeland at that time. Now I hear them say that we have nearly four thousand colored people in Lakeland . That's jumping up some. They came here from every place."
Mattie was busy ironing in the back hallways. Rebecca called her. She came in and sat down." Now Mattie can tell you about herself. Mattie said," it is true that I am considered the first Negro child to be born in Lakeland . My parents were Willis J. and Gabrella Boyd. Willis died January 11, 1903, age 54. Gabrella died July 7, 1901, age 45. I was born May 1, 1886. I remembered the second colored child that was born in Lakeland , Lubenny Sullivan, (whose bible record was seen) was born June 14,1886. She is now living in Philadelphia, married and is known as Mrs. Livington. She has three grown children. I know well the first white child born in Lakeland, she now lives in Tampa, Florida. Miss Dora Lee Bonaker, who is now Mrs Helm. Congressman, [A.?] J. Drane's son Orcian was born the same month that Miss Dora Lee was born."
" Where we lived was a wilderness. Pane street was near the depot. At that time Main , Pine, Street, and Kentuckey Avenue, were the main streets. Most of the business was located on Main street. I was born near Lake Weir along the railroad. Deep sand [trails?] with do [ruts?] in them. [?]. to your knees were the only paths and roadways. The big wheels of the ox-carts cut them like this. This was the only mode of travel then. I use to ride them many days. Slow riding to what we have now. But we thought we were getting there fast."
" In 1898 I saw soldiers who camped around Lake Weir, Lake Morton, and Lake Hunter. They were on their way to the Spanish American War in Cuba. You remember the sixth of May when the Battleship Maine was sunk in 1898. The soldiers began pouring in the last of April, and it was the last of August before they all left. Those were some exciting times around Lakeland. I remember the colored Tenth [Cavalry?], The Illinois., The Ist [regimen?] from Ohio, and the 77th of New York . All of these were white soldiers. This place was the backing up place from Tampa. As fast as the ships would take them to Cuba they would leave out of Lakeland. Some never did get to go to Cuba, because the Tenth Cavalry had whipped them out under Colonel Rossevelt. These were some days. Talking about hard times, that was no name for it."
" I attended Elementary school, only going as far as the sixth grade. At that time they did not have any more grades, until Prof. W.A. Rochelle brought the school up to the eighth grade. I left Lakeland and finished my schooling in Ocala at the Emerson school, going through the High school course."
" The first colored school located in Lakeland was at Florida Avenue and Main Street where the People's Bank Building now stands. When they moved it from there, they held school in the Methodist church one season, and in the Baptist church another, moving sometimes to the Masonic Hall. This was kept up until the first school was located in Morehead at Orange and Ohio Avenue in 1905. I taught in this school seven years, holding a third grade certificate. I have been married, but I divorced my husband. He is alive somewhere."
" Rebecca said, " Mattie has something to be proud of being the first colored child born in Lakeland and still living to tell about it."
" I went to school myself. I attended the Hamilton school in Thomasville, Georgia. I went as far as the seventh grade. The school building was built out of logs with only one large room. We had two teachers, and about one hundred and fifty children. At that time we only had three months schooling, way long before the last they gave us six months. This was not long after freedom. We would play jumping the rope, and sometimes baseball, the girls played on one side and the boys on the other. Back there they didn't mix up with the boys."
" When I came to Lakeland, I was elected the First President of the Parent Teachers Association. We started with twenty members which grew to fifty members when I gave it up. I think education is the greatest thing in the world today. I don't think there is enough association of parents with teachers. Since Prof. Rochelle gave up the principleship we have not had the good fellowship with teachers. Things are different. We didn't have so many wayward girls during our times."
" When I first came here I remembered finding only eight Baptists, twenty five A M E Methodists, and five M E Methodists. I didn't know anything about Primitive Baptists at that time.
That part of the Baptists popped up later. I have been a member of the Harmany Baptist Church thirty one years. John, does not belong to any church. When I was active in church, I was President of the B Y P U, teacher of the first Bible Class, treasurer of the Sunday School, head of the Deaconess Board, and President, once, of the Women's Home Missionary Society. I tried to give my soul to my church work. I think that the saving of souls has retarded in the last few years. I think the cause of the condition is slackness on the part of the churches today. Years ago they were better. The Old folks don't have any power over the young folks, because they set wrong kind of examples[!?]
" I had to give up all work when I had this stroke in 1935. I had the stroke on my left side. Now you see I am able to walk and use my hand. I had all of my teeth pulled out. You know bad teeth can poison your whole system. Before I was swepted off of my feet, I weighed one hundred and thirty pounds. I suffer mostly from "High Blood Pressure" I have to watch my eating very carefully."
" Speaking of food- I remembered right after freedom how cheap things were. Around 1878 you could get a large hog for $1.50; butter 15¢ a pound; bushel of potatoes 20¢¢ bushel of corn 25;eggs sold two dozen for 15¢, and you had to carry them eight and ten miles to the next town to sell them. A big change now. With this trouble I am having, it cost me a great deal for special food that I have to eat. I only eat fish, lamb, grits, butter, whole wheat bread, and corn bread when it is cooked well. Before I had this stroke I could eat anything. John and the rest of the family eat most any thing. "
" I worry a great deal at times because I am not able to work like I used to. When I was on the farm in Georgia I was strong and worked hard. I hoed and picked cotton on my fathers farm. We only received 40¢ a hundred. A hundred pound was a whole lot of cotton to pick back there. They didn't have the cultivation like they have now. If you made thirty five cents a day you would do better than those who worked in domestic service, because they only made [$?] 1.00 per week. Some places they would only make $ 1.00 a month doing the housework and cooking. You sometime had to cook for eight and ten in the family. I had my family to feed and look out for. The way the mistress did, was to tell you to put a [peck?] of potatoes in the stove. When ordered to go to the smoke house, you were told to get the odds and ends of the meat to cook with the greens. What was left you could give to your children. That's the way they made up for their low pay. And that's the way the pan came about, I mean servants carrying pans home when they finished work. Carrying pans home is no new thing. My child would starve if I didn't carry a pan home at night. Mistress would give us all the old clothes and shoes. After President Grover Cleveland and Harrison, times changed and things began to pick up. Sometimes we would get from $2.00 to $ 2.50 a week. Things began to get better still after President William McKinley's and Theodore Roosevelt's time. when we came to Florida we found wages better than we got in Georgia . I hav'nt worked out very much. I worked up a good laundry business here at home. I would average from $ 4.00 to $15.00 a week when times were good. I thought once that this stroke I have came from washing a great deal. I was taught when I married John to care for him. A women's place was at home. I thought my duty way back there was to cook, mend clothes, and keep a good clean house for him. I knew [if I?] was away I could not do that. I am from the old school. Things are different now. Everybody goes, and home takes care of itself."
" John followed work in the Phosphate mines from 1900 to 1907 with the "Tiger Bay Phosphate Company" they are out of business now. He also railroaded some, working here in the Coast Line railroad yard until 1925. On this job he would average sometimes $ 100.00 a month. John is a good well digger. He makes from $ 5.00 up to $ 100.00 putting in wells and sprinkle systems in the graves. He had a call this morning to come out to Colonial drive to clean out a well. John farms on our twenty acre farm located in the South-West section of Lakeland . It is where Old Pa [Dix] lived. You remember the old man who was over a hundred years old when he died. That's the place. The shack is right on our land. We let a man stay in there now. John has'nt done so well with the farm this year."
" Bryant works on relief. Mattie and Mary stay at home and help with the laundry work. Mattie makes around five dollars every week. Work is not so plentiful now, lot of folks do their own work at home. I am fond of laundry work. What little John and myself accumulated came partly from my laundry work. We would put our little bits together so we could have something. Once we owned fourteen houses on this street. We lost them during the depression. All we saved was our home place and the twenty acres.
Some times, I begin to think that is too much since I have been unable to work. Bryant helps me out a lot. He is one son who has stuck to his mother. It took lots of money to get me back in shape. If it were not for the help from this relief work we could not have pulled through. It has been lots of help to us. I have tried to get an old age pension, but I hav'nt been able to prove my age. About this laundry work around the town, I recall when colored women did nearly all of it. Now they have big places to do the laundry work, and that cuts us down same. A few folks like it the old way."
" If I were able to vote again I would vote for the democrats. I have voted since they allowed women to vote. John votes, too. We never had any trouble voting. We felt like we had a right to vote paying so much taxes every year."
" Since I had this stroke I can't walk very far. I try to walk to the stores on Florida Avenue and back again to give me exercise. Outside of that I keep busy with light work around the house. My biggest fun is working around the flowers and attending to my chickens. John usually piddles around the house and yard when he is home. Some times he walks up the street and sits on the Knights of [Chythian's?] steps on Florida Avenue , and gossips with some of his old cronies. When Bryant finishes work he like to dress up and walk down the street, or go to the movies. He likes moving pictures. You can see for yourself that Mattie and Mary are just plain home folks, they go to church on Sunday's and that's about all. I don't go around like I used too, I miss doing the little things for folks in the community. When I was active I tried to do my best as long as I could. I liked it too, to help other. I believe that is the reason the Lord has blessed me in my afflictions so far. "
To the delight of Rebecca, John came home. She said, " I am glad you came home while "Professor" is here [."?] He shook hands and expressed his appreciation in my calling. He shunned his overalls, and washed his face, and hands, and returned in a fresh overall and joined in the interview.
" John stated that if you are talking about old time I can tell you a few thing, if Rebecca has told you our story would be about the same. You know a white man by the name of Mr. V.W. Stephenson, who lives at 937 W. 5th street . He used to live in a little house on 7th St near the Washington Park . Now he was the first man to sell me a lot in this town. He was one of the first white men to settle here in 1882 some years before I came. I have heard him say that Lakeland was named by Dr. Andrews. He aught to know because he was in the meeting when it was named. Right after then they layed the [town?] off in 1883 and 1884. They call him Judge now, he still owns lots of property in the white and colored section. The colored park he deeded it to the City to be used for a Negro park. I have worked hard trying to have something. I have never made anything easy in my life. From the looks of me it look like I have been a good man in my days. Since some of the folks have gone back to trucking and farming I have been kept busy digging wells and putting in sprinkling systems. I guess Rebecca told you about it. I think hard times has run them back to the soil. This has slowed me down with my work on my little farm. I don't have time to look after it like I aught too. You have a hard time to get some one to help you farm here in this town. Most of the colored men don't have farming in their bones, that's funny most of them came here off of the farm and it is hard to get them back to it. "
" I have made pretty good off it at times. If nothing more, it has kept me out of the paper sack. We get all the fresh vegetables we want. The most I plant is corn, beans, tomatoes, pepper, [oats?], onions, squash, collard, [mustards?], and [sometime?] I try my hand at strawberries. I have my [land?] cultivated where it raises most anything. I have had some whopping good [watermelons?] out there. I happen to have some sandy spots. It takes that for watermelons. I do most of my planting by the moon. I don't know anything about this new method of farming. I [tak'] mine out of the old way of farming. It usually works."
" Well when it comes to digging wells I am considered to be the best in this section. That bragging [on herself?]. But the white folks say so. They aught to know. I have followed it for years. I learned it while working around the [Phosphate?] mines. We always had to sink a pipe to get water and I worked with [that?] crew. I can usually tell by sounding where to find water. All I have to dois to see the [mud?] and I can soon tell you if there is good water there. I hardly miss, some places I have to dig deeper than others. The best wells are dug thirty feet or deeper. You miss all of the top drainage. You know the water beneath the surface ran off in section, every so many feet. Some people say pump water will make you sick. That's because it is nothing deep enough. People [pour?] out their dish water, wash water, and some have their septic tools to close when the pump is not deep enough. That's the reason why. We have to pull up pipes every now and then and clean off the points. You have seen them. There is is a sharp point on the end, and it gets clogged up some time.
" Old age is about to get me now, I am not as active as I once was. I have lost lots of money fooling with property, worries, big doctor bills, and all that works on a fellow pretty badly. You have to be a good draft horse to pull the load. "
" You know conditions are not like they use to be. I have seen big changes around here. I honestly think the Government is doing all it can to help people and business. But the people must help themselves some too. Many people are stuck in these towns. With all of this open country they could get out and grow something. That would help to thin them out. "
" About my religion, I bet Rebecca has been telling you about it. I speck I oughter get some kind of religion by this time. You will have to bring in a new flock of preachers to save me now. If I didn't see so much maybe I would do a little better. I give my share to the church even if I don't go. When them big rallies come off, they see my money, but they don't see me. I live my life. So far I think it has been a pretty good one. One thing I am not fed up on lots of false beliefs."
" When I had a good car I used to enjoying muself riding around looking at farms. If I have a good walk now I am happy." John was called by a white man who knocked at the door and this conclude his interview. Rebecca, said," I am so glad you had a chance to talk to him, they don't let him stay home long. "
The home of John and Rebecca is located on a very sandy Avenue. It is a large ten room weather- boarded house. Very well constructed and the exterior is painted white. There is a large porch extending across the front lower and upper, with large cement pillars. Vines are growing on trellises on both sides of the porch. Ferns in alrge pots sit on each side of the entrance.
There are four wicker rocking chairs on the lower porch. The upper porch was bare of furnishing. The lawn had a good growth of green grass with foliage along the side of the fence. Two large ferns were on each side of the entrance. The back yard was not so orderly. And in out house sat on the north side with a big iron. It sitting in the middle of the yard. Mary was busy boiling clothes. [??] this [ct.?] wire and chicken yard was built on the southside. It was filled with chickens. Rebecca was proud of her chickens. Near the chicken yard was an in out house and some orange trees.
Enter ing the house, you step into a small hallway. There was an old [?] in the corner and a stand near the door with a calling card dish sitting on pretty embroidered scarf, pretty blue and black blocken linoleum was on the floor. To the left, on the north side, was a combination sitting and dining room. In this room was an old time [?], six chairs, one china closet, and sewing machine, large dining table, a small table with dishes on it in one corner, and brown linoleum was on the floor with a few pictures on the wall.
The room on the south side was a bed room, [consisting?] of a double bed, [?] wicker chair, a wash stand, clothes were hanging on the wall in the corner, and the floor was covered with a light brown rug. [?] through a [?] in the hallway you come to another bedroom. [It?] contained a double bed, wash stand, and two chairs. The clothes in the room were hanging on the wall. The floor covering was a green grass rug. The room adjoining this one was a bed room with a double bed, a cot, several chairs and a worn grass rug. Across from this bed room was a small kitchen that contained an old wood stove, and a closet in which there were dishes and kitchel utensils. There was no covering on the floor. In the back hallway, Mary was busy at her ironing again.
The steps leading to the second floor were located in the back hallway. The rooms on the second floor were given over to bed rooms, all neatly furnished and clean. All of the windows had good curtains and shades to them. The house was ceiled, some of the rooms on the lower floor needed repainting. Electric lights was in all of the rooms.
John returned from {Begin deleted text}[?]{End deleted text} {Begin inserted text}{Begin handwritten}his{End handwritten}{End inserted text} mission and said, " If I did'nt have good white friends I don't know what would happen to me. I have always got along swell with them. All of my work is for them. I think we have a pretty good town. I know all of the old settlers and they will do most anything for me. It is how you treat yourself. I always mind my own business, and know how far to go. It is a blessing to live to see how things has changed. We did'nt have all the good things these children have today. I hate to say it in spite of it all they don't take advantage of their opportunities. We had to get and git back yonder. Again he had a caller, and in bidding the family good bye he said he would like for me to see him drill a well some time. Mattie and Rebecca has all smiles, and pleased over having their life's happening written up.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions