Search for content in message boards

Annie Bethison born Australia

Annie Bethison born Australia

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 11:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bethison, Betthison, Bettison, Dunne
Hello I have just found out my G G Grandmother Anne or Annie Bethison (not 100% sure about the spelling)was born in Australia, she married Thomas Dunne from Offaly Ireland and they had one child Stephen who was born in Australia, then they moved back to Ireland where they had a further 7 children. Annie would have been born between 1865 - 1878 and married around 1893 in Australia.

I have no idea what part of Australia she was from, could anyone give me any advise on where to start trying to trace her birth & marriage or the birth of her son Stephen. Also is there any passenger lists of people leaving Australia for Ireland?

Many Thanks Tricia

Re: Annie Bethison born Australia

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 12:41AM GMT
Hi Tricia,
Here is their marriage record.. note the spelling variation.. Annie is listed on the record as being born in Eltham Victoria..

Surname: DUNNE
Given Names: Thos
Event: M
Sex: M
Spouse Surname/Father: BETTISON
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Annie
Birth Place: KINGS COUNTY
Death Place:
Year: 1894
Reg. Number: 793

Here is the birth record of Stephen, although he is registered as Edgar Stephen Thomas Dunne..

Surname: DUNNE
Given Names: Edgar Steph Thos
Event: B
Sex: M
Spouse Surname/Father: Thos
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Annie BETTISON
Birth Place: CTON
Death Place:
Year: 1894
Reg. Number: 10098

Annie's birth.. her birth name seems to be Mary Ann as there is no ANNIE..

Surname: BETISON
Given Names: Mary Ann
Spouse Surname/Father: Edward
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Annie Elizabeth GREENWOOD
Birth Place: ELTHAM

She had lots of siblings..

Birth of her father..

Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888

Query
-----
Surname : bet* (940 matches)
Given Names : edw* (42619 matches)

Total matching records: 28
--------------------

Surname: BETTERSON
Given Names: Edward
Spouse Surname/Father: Richard
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Jane
Birth Place: COBURG
Death Place:
Year: 1852
Reg Number: 20590
Denomination: Church of England
Parish: HOLY TRINITY, PENTRIDGE (NOW COBURG)
Fiche: 325

Debbie

Death Place:
Year: 1873
Reg Number: 23735
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 8:46AM GMT
Surnames: Bethison, Bettison, Betterson
Dear Debbie,
Thank you so much for this information, I never expected to get a response so quickly, which database or website did you get the records from, maybe I can trace the family back further.
Tricia

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 9:57AM GMT
Hi Tricia,
I will take a look for you, the family were very early pioneer's of Victoria australia, I think (to confirm) originally from Cornwall England.. I got the info from my CD's, there is a website but you have to pay for it.. i am free !!

Debbie.

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 4:39PM GMT
Thank you, It is much appreciated My mothers ancestors are from cornwall so if it turns out they have originated from there, I already have quite a few local records.
Tricia

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 5:55PM GMT
Hi Debbie, I have just had another thought could you look for another child of Thomas Dunne & Annie Bettison in Australia. My G Grandmother Was Jenny Dunne and I have been unable to find her bith in May 1895 in England or Ireland. Maybe she was also born in Australia.
Many Thanks Tricia

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 11:14AM GMT
Hi Debbie,

I can see you have been very busy looking up records for everyone. I wondered if you were able to find out anymore information on Annie's family, like her siblings, if they were origionally from Cornwall and if Annie and Thomas had any other children born in Australia before they returned to Ireland

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 11:53AM GMT
Dear All

My name is Padraig J Dunne, Thomas Dunne and Annie Bettison were my ancestors. My Father Patrick dunne was a nephew of Jane Dunne. I want to find out where everyone is? Thomas and Annie appeared to get married in Australia where Stephen was born. They move home to Ireland and by 1901 they were living with Jane Dunne his mother and a Miss Annie Crampton who appears to be Jane Dunnes Sister, they have several more children including baby thomas who was my grandfather, they also had a Jane, Thomas father, Janes husband was dead in 1901. have you any more info for me
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions