Search for content in message boards

Looking for a copy of TOLL / STRUEVER Marriage in 1980 Blue Hill

Looking for a copy of TOLL / STRUEVER Marriage in 1980 Blue Hill

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 3:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STRUEVER, TOLL
I'm looking for a newspaper piece & hoping there was one reporting the marriage of Henry Wolcott TOLL aka H. Wolcott TOLL to Mary B. STRUEVER on Sunday, 5 Oct 1980.

Both bride & groom were archeaologists and residents of New Mexico but their marriage certificate was from Maine.

I think they must have married on Tolland Farm, the summer home of Mary's parents. Other family weddings have occured there with members who were not Maine residents at the time of marriage.

Can anyone up there in the Blue Hill area try and find such a report for me?

Thanks.

Re: Looking for a copy of TOLL / STRUEVER Marriage in 1980 Blue Hill

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 1:48AM GMT
Always refer to the Maine State Archives first.

http://1.usa.gov/P5ThCu

Re: Looking for a newspaper account of TOLL / STRUEVER Marriage in 1980 Blue Hill

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: TOLL, STRUEVER
Thanks for the reply but the Maine Archives site only supplies marriage date, day of week it was and usual state of residence all of which I've already gotten from the Maine Archives site.

Digging in various other sources revealed that both parties are archeaologists.

What I'm looking for is a newspaper account of the marriage which I'm fairly certain took place at Tamworth Farm on Tamworth Rd in Blue Hill, the summer residence of the bride's parents.

I've been researching STRUEVER for several years as a marriage 5 years back which took place at Tamworth Farm united the grandson of my grandmother's cousin with the granddaughter of Tamworth Farm's owner, the mother of the bride in this post.

Can anyone with access to archived copies of the local newspaper look-up marriage announcements & see if this particular one was written up and get a copy for me?

Thanks.

Re: Looking for a newspaper account of TOLL / STRUEVER Marriage in 1980 Blue Hill

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 2:24AM GMT
Online archives don't go back that far.

Try contacting _The Bangor Daily News_ & _The Ellsworth American_ (those are the most likely papers, which would've published a local marriage).

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bangor/faq.html

Re: STILL Looking for a newspaper account of TOLL / STRUEVER Marriage in 1980 Blue Hill

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 12:28PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2012 12:36PM GMT
Surnames: TOLL, STRUEVER
I contacted The Ellsworth American & they got back to me yesterday after kindly looking for a marriage article for a 3 mo period from the wedding date. No marriage article was placed in the Ellsworth paper.

The Bangor Daily News has left the searching for archived articles to the pay subscription service ProQuest.

BDN doesn't directly bother with looking for back articles nor do they supply reprints of articles that appeared in their paper.

The link you supplied is just for the ProQuest FAQ page re: the Bangor Daily News.

I don't have any sort of subscription to ProQuest & therefore I don't have access to the ProQuest archives of the Bangor Daily News.

I have no way of even searching the Bangor Daily News via ProQuest. I know from a stop at a NH library while on vacation back 8 yrs ago & searching the ProQuest archive via their limited subscription for an obit from the local paper that the teaser previews on ProQuest are a confusing merge of the articles on a particular page so it's not even possible to determine if the article one is looking for is actually the article being included in the teaser or not. One has to, in effect, gamble & order the article from the teaser from ProQuest, pay a somewhat largish sum of money and hope for the best.

I don't live in Maine & if full access to the Bangor Daily News archives is available via a Maine library card bar code, I also don't have one of those.

I've thought of contacting the local library but most libraries do charge some just for the reprint if they find what you've requested but most charge for both the search & the copy. Some libraries have reasonable fees for this but others would be beyond me to afford even in the best of times. I probably should add that I'm unemployed which while giving me time to research doesn't give me the budget to spend for searches, reprints, subscriptions, vital certificate copies, etc.

At the end of the day I STILL need someone LOCAL to the Blue Hill area with the kindness of heart to look in the archived newspapers local to Blue Hill for a copy of some sort of marriage announcement/article for Henry Wolcott TOLL aka H. Wolcott TOLL to Mary B. STRUEVER on Sunday, 5 Oct 1980.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic