Search for content in message boards

Capps from England

Capps from England

Sue J. Varvil (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2005 11:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Capps
Was there any other Capps that came over here from England or was it just William Capps and his wife in about 1610? I am trying to find out which way to go on the direct line and am at a stand still on a Thomas Capps born in 1740. I thought about coming forward from 1610.

Any information would be apprectiated.

Thank You

Re: Capps from England

Adrian Blundell (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2005 8:10AM GMT
Surnames: BLUNDELL HAYDE BROWN PITT HALLAM GRANT CUNNINGHAM
Thomas is a given name in the Capps family from around the Crayford area of Kent, going through all generations right through from 1700 to at least the 1850s.

Sue J. Varvil (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2005 11:53AM GMT
I agree as the name William is very popular back then too. So was Jacob and others.

This Thomas was like he appeared but no one knows anything about him. I am wanting to go to North Carolina, where his children were born, and see if I can get any info off of the birth certificates. Sometimes they put the parents' name down and sometimes they didn't. I noticed that even in the 1800's.

The children were all born in Orange County, NC. So I may start there. If not I'll see if I can get any info on William Capps' sons. I think they were all born in England. and came over then fought in the Revolutionary War. At least that is what I have read in some of the other research that I have came up with.

This may very difficult. I do want to trace them to England and maybe go to England next year to proceed the research.

I thought William Capps had brothers that came over later, I may have been wrong on that. That is what I want to know if there were any other Capps that came from England besides William, his wife and children.

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 4:21AM GMT
Good luck, but it's not possible that William's sons fought in the Revolutionary War. William was an adult in 1610, 166 years before the war, so his sons would've been born in the mid-1600s at the latest. Probably his connection to our Thomas will elude us.

Sue (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2005 1:39PM GMT
I will probably go to Virginia and then trace them from there on. The last place that I can trace Thomas is in North Carolina. I will think it best to go from William Capps then to Thomas Capps. I think Thomas is probably born with another name and was called Thomas. That is what I'm thinking. Thomas could be his middle name.

Thank you,
Sue

Posted: 11 Sep 2005 7:59PM GMT
I am researching the Capps family from England also. I dont know if it is the same you are looking for. I have hit a dead end with Larkin Capps. He was born 4-1-1800 in London, England. I am not exactly sure when he came here but he was married here in 1825 to Jemima. They lived and he died in Crawford Co. AR. He died in 1846 and she came to Texas and died in 1876. I would love to hear what you have and compare notes. My email is shrumj@sbcglobal.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions