Search for content in message boards

Northern Wisc. Colony and Training School

Northern Wisc. Colony and Training School

Posted: 6 Feb 2008 3:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does any one know what this is...a prison maybe or mental health center..It is listed in the 1930 census. Thanks, Sue

Re: Northern Wisc. Colony and Training School

Posted: 6 Feb 2008 5:14PM GMT
From fightingbob.com
More than 30 years ago, a furniture storeowner from Prairie du Chien came to the state government with a request and an offer of help. Donald Knapp’s simple request was for the state to provide support that would enable his daughter Lori to return home. At the time, Lori was living in the state institution in Chippewa Falls then named the Northern Wisconsin Colony and Training School. In return, Mr. Knapp offered to create a home for other children who were living at the “Colonies” because of a lack of services in their communities.

The state accepted Knapp’s offer. In August 1972, Lori Knapp and seven other children returned home, initiating a reform in the way Wisconsin provides support to its children and adults with disabilities. Governor Doyle’s budget should be seen as a continuation of that reform since it includes the long overdue proposal to end the long-term placement of people with disabilities at Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled.

Northern Wisconsin Center opened at the end of the 19th century. Back then there was no government support available for children and adults with learning difficulties or other disabilities. Our schools did not provide an education to children who had “mental retardation.” Our health care professionals were leading a tragic eugenics movement that intended, in the words of Northern Center’s first superintendent, “to purge society and obstruct the increase of feeblemindedness.” This misguided policy resulted in the sterilization of almost 1,900 “inmates” at the Chippewa Falls institution between 1913 and 1963.

We have come a long way since then. Thanks to the pioneering efforts of parents such as Donald and Betty Knapp and so many others, a strong parent advocacy effort in the 1960s and early 1970s led to legislation and funding for education and services for people with disabilities. In 1973, the Legislature appropriated funds to enable Wisconsin counties to develop community services for the developmentally disabled. In 1974, a law was passed requiring and enabling, for the first time, all children to receive an education in our public schools.

Posted: 6 Feb 2008 5:31PM GMT
Thanks for the info, I was doing research on what I think is a step-son of my ggaunt and found him on census there.

Posted: 22 Jul 2011 2:41AM GMT
Could you tell me where I could find the mental records on a patient that was in the Norern Wisc. Colony and Training School?

Posted: 22 Jul 2011 3:31AM GMT
The facility is now known as the Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled:
http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/dd_nwc/

Health records are covered under HIPAA, and so would not be available to genealogists. This is true even after the death of the resident.

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 12:13AM GMT
A local library was helping me find information about my husband's family history and informed me that one of his aunt's was at NWTC according to the census records. She was able to give me dates she was admitted and released and the reasons she was there, which helped us greatly. This was just in Dec 2010. If you want the contact person, please give me your email address and I will send it to you.

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Mathews
This email is for cbaker3132
My email address is crich50@q.com.
Thank you so much for your help.

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 3:40PM GMT
I am interested in contacting this person..looking for information on my grandmother, her mother and sister! This would help so much.

ashley.bleuer@yahoo.com

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 1:53AM GMT
I wrote for the information on my family member and they sent the information they had. I tried to email you, but my system would not allow it. I wrote to Northern Wisconsin Center, Attention Cindy Sargent, 2820East Park Avenue, Chippewa Falls, Wi. 54729. I am also looking for information on my family. Good Luck. my email is crich50@q.com

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 2:52AM GMT
I want to say thank you for such a nice explanation! Don and Betty Knapp are my grandparents!!! My dad, Don Knapp Jr. is head of Lori Knapp, Incorporated. Still going strong and impacting many people's lives.
Lori is doing great! I saw her at Christmas this year. She is such an inspiration to thousands of people.
Thanks again!!
Jenni(Knapp)Emerson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic