Search for content in message boards

Bath County Religious Denominations

Bath County Religious Denominations

Posted: 2 Jul 2004 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Nov 2005 3:33PM GMT
The majority of my ancestors in Bath County, including the Baileys, Whittingtons, Ulerys, and McCartys, were members of the Christain Church. I believe this denomination was originally called the Campbellites. I believe there is a connection with the Disciples of Christ denomination. I would guess that this denomination along with the Methodists and Baptists made up the majority of early Bath Countians. The LDS was not formed until about 1830-1840. I think the Scot-Irish who made up most of the early settlers were originally Presbyterian but during the mid 1700s many converted to Methodists, etc.

Re: Bath County Religious Denominations

Posted: 3 Aug 2004 1:19AM GMT
which of the mccartys do u have in your family? my grandmother maiden name is norma mccarty daughter of woodson mccarty and nannie hunt do u have these names in ur family

Posted: 5 Aug 2004 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2005 3:33PM GMT
Hi, Linda. Appears my first response didn't get through so will try again. My grandmother was Lucy McCarty (m. James Whittington). Her parents were William McCarty and Marcelite Staton. William was one of the many children of John Paul McCarty and Anna Spence Hart. John's father was Augustine McCarty, the brickwall of Bath County McCarty researchers. If you have any questions write me at my e-mail address of >pbailey170@aol.com<

Pete Bailey
Indianapolis

Posted: 2 Jan 2005 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: McCarty Crump
Saw your reference to Augustine McCarty. I am not at my home computer and don't have my records available but happen to have a flash drive with the following note from the rootsweb forum which may be pertinent. My gg grandmother was Nancy McCarty, daughter of William Thaddeus McCarty and Judith Yerby.

Re: ? Madison McCarty m ? Polly ?
Posted by: Dben Date: February 22, 2000 at 20:45:41
In Reply to: Re: ? Madison McCarty m ? Polly ? by Joanne Pezzullo of 3346

The information source was from my ancestor's Bible and notes left to me from my late aunt who had been trying to find out more information on our McCartys. We've had very little information to go on that is why I'm posting it here. I descend from Madison's 3rd wife. I think it is just 3 wives. We only knew about his last wife and knew he had another child as in that child's will, he call wife # 3. his beloved stepmother. I'm trying to find out what happened to the other children and who was Polly and if their were other children. I'm told the family is Scot-Irish. Madison must have had a first name, I just don't know what it is and trying to find a Madison during that time period is difficult.
I would like to know more about them, just like you.

This was found in my ancestor's Bible - Madison's son who married a Sorrel Handwriting is difficult to decipher.

Daniel "Augustine" MCCARTY b. 10/23/1784 - abt.5/26/1823 Bath, KY
Hannah Wells b. 3/29/1786 SC
I can't make out 2 of the names
Phoebe MCCARTY
James MCCARTY
William MCCARTY
Sally MCCARTY
Elizabeth MCCARTY
Catherine MCCARTY
Madison MCCARTY 1814 - 1853
J. P. MC CARTY
A.J. MCCARTY
Marena MCCARTY

Posted by: Joanne Pezzullo Date: February 23, 2000 at 03:08:17
In Reply to: Re: ? Madison McCarty m ? Polly ? by Dben of 3346 Go

. On 6 July 1784, for two hundred pounds of current money of Virginia, they sold 144 1/2 acres along Farnham Creek, a part of the tract that had descended to William from his father, Billington (stated in the will), to Charles Barber McCarty (Wm.'s cousin). . . .
The deed was acknowledged in open court by Wm. on 6 Sept. 1785 . A statement dated 21 Mar 1784 that Martha Corbin "could not
conveniently travel to the court to acknowledge the deed" (perhaps
this was her pregnancy with Daniel Lee McCarty since he was born 23 Oct 1784) was recorded 21 Mar 1786 after William Peachey and William Mishall went to her home and "examined the said Martha Corbin
privately and apart from her said husband...without persuasion or
threats"

Looks like this could be our Daniel. He may have came to Kentucky with his Uncle Billington who appears in Clark County, Ky. The birth dates are the same but he is known as Daniel Lee McCarty.

Robert McCarty m. to Polly Clavell [Clonell] in Bath County, Apr 2, 1833. I found a William Clavell on the 1820 census with a wife and 6 girls. Next door is an older Elzabeth Clavell with 5 males and one daughter.

I will add more.

Posted by: Dben Date: February 22, 2000 at 20:56:38
In Reply to: Re: ? Madison McCarty m ? Polly ? by Dben 1083 of 3347

I know nothing about the siblings, all I have is names. Sorry, I don't have more information. In pencil by Madison is a Polly 4/2/1833 and Nancy 1852 This is very light.

Oh, and Augustine & Hannah marriage date 8/26/1806
In Reply to: Re: ? Madison McCarty m ? Polly ? by Dben 1092 of 3347

The marriage date could be 1805 as the loop of the 5 does not close like 6 (a fancy 5)

Re: Daniel McCarty, Westmoreland, Va., 1724
http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?Thaddeus:...
Posted by: D Thornton (ID *****0610) Date: April 06, 2004 at 09:26:27
In Reply to: Daniel McCarty, Westmoreland, Va., 1724 by Bill Scroggin 3218 of 3347

According to the Lee Research this Ann would be Ann Lee

Capt Daniel McCARTY1
----------------------------------------
Birth: 10 Mar 1678/79, Coppel Parish Westmoreland Co, VA2
Death: 4 May 1724, Westmoreland Co, Va
Father: Dennis McCARTY
Mother: Elizabeth BILLINGTON

Ann Mary LEE m Daniel McCarty Lee Sex: F Birth: 1683 in Machodoc Plantation,Virginia 1 Death: Bef 31 May 1732 in Eagles Nest,King George County,Virginia 1 IDNO: 862 Will: Probated May 31,1732 Change Date: 15 Dec 2001 1 Note:
1 _FA1
2 PLAC Owner of Leesylvania Estate, Freestone Point, Virginia
[family.FTW]
Source: WFT volume 1, tree 3127, 1995
Source: WFT volume 5, tree 2120, 1996.
Source: WFT volume 8, tree 2065, 1997.
Source: WFT volume 23, tree 3039
The only daughter at Machodoc was Ann Lee, born in 1683. After William Fitzhugh's death in 1715, Ann wed Daniel McCarty, a powerful figure in Westmoreland County who was then serving as speaker of the House of Burgess. She had several children by McCarty and survived him until 1732, when she was buried on the Fitzhugh estate, Eagle's Nest, in King George County.
(Paul C. Nagel: The Lees of Virginia, Oxford Univ. Press, New York, 1990)

Several volumes of FTW list Mary Lee Fitzhugh as the daughter of Ann and William. The discrepancy of their ages is to great. Ann would have died before Mary Lee Fitzhugh was born.

Father: Richard "The Scholar" II, Col. LEE b: 1647 in Cobbs Hal,Westmoreland County,Virginia
Mother: Letitia CORBIN b: 1657 in Westmoreland County,Virginia

Marriage 1 Daniel , Capt. MCCARTY b: 10 Mar 1678/1679 in Coppel Parish,Westmoreland County,Virginia
* Married: Abt 1700 in Virginia
* Note: 1 REFN 15264
Children
1. Ann MCCARTY b: 1715

Marriage 2 William , Col. FITZHUGH b: Bet. 1666 - 1689 in Eagles Nest,King Geo. Cty.,Virginia
* Married: Bet. 1696 - 1713 in Virginia
* Note: 1 REFN 33844
Children
1. William Henry FITZHUGH b: Bet. 1701 - 1716
2. Lettice FITZHUGH b: 15 Jul 1707
3. Sarah FITZHUGH b: 1710 in Westmoreland County,Virginia

Re: Bath County Staton Family

Posted: 26 Apr 2010 5:54AM GMT
Dear Pete:
Hoping you are still online. I am sure we have some Staton connections, and would love your help if you can.

My Staton connection is my gggrandfather Melvin Lafayette Staton 1851. His daughter Marceleta. Also, my gg grandmother Lucy Jane McCarty 1851 in Bath co. Lucy's father was Andrew Jackson McCarty 1818 Ky. d. 1880 Bath Co.
does any of this connect?
thanks for your time.
Debby

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 12:34PM GMT
Debby, I am still on line but with a different e-mail address from older messages in this thread. I do not have any data on the Staton branch in my tree other than Marcelita. Also my McCarty info is very limited. I think Andrew McCarty was one of the many children of James McCarty and America Fielder. Thus he was a distant cousin of my McCarty connection. I suspect that there are several Bath County researchers with more information than I have. My McCarty information is limited pretty much to the Bath County census data available in most genealogy libraries.

Pete Bailey

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: MeCarty,McClain,Staton,Fielder,Moore,Downs in Bath Co. Ky.
Pete:
thanks for your reply!
Wish we had info to share. If you do come across anyone with connections to Oliver Perry Staton 1822, Bath co.,spouse Martha Patsy Fielder 1822, Clark Co Ky. or Andrew Jackson McCarty 1818 Ky. ,spouse Francis J McClain 1818, Bath Co. I would love the help!

also have Maternal side in Bath co. Green(Greenberry) Moore abt.1820 Wayne Co.Ky moved to Bath co. Spouse Eliza Jane Downs 1825 Montgomery Co. in Bath co by 1860. many questions here...

good hunting!
Debby

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 6:23AM GMT
Surnames: Staton
My great, great, grandfather was born in 1825 and lived in Bath Kentucky. His name was Perry Matthew Staton. Do you have any information on him? Thank you!

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 3:09PM GMT
Re: Perry Matthew Staton.

While "Perry" appears to be a frequently-used first or middle name among the Statons, I'm sorry to say that I don't have "Perry Matthew" in my file of Staton names.

Pete Bailey

Posted: 17 Sep 2010 7:03AM GMT
Surnames: Appanoose
Any possibility for just Matthew Staton?

Any connection with Perry Staton born in Kentucky and went to Appanoose, Schuyler, County?

Appreciate your assistance and time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic