Search for content in message boards

Petersburg vitals

Petersburg vitals

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 10:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jun 2012 10:49PM GMT
Surnames: wells
Where am I most likely to find vitals for a family living in the Petersburg area in the 1840's?

Re: Petersburg vitals

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 12:46AM GMT
What are these folks name? Names and relationships/dates helpful. Willing to help.

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 1:06AM GMT
my Gt grand father was born 1842 we think in Petersburg. His name was Charles Gilbert. His parents were Henry Gilbert b Ct. mother was Virginia Wells born in Va. They most likely were married there early 1840's. Henry supposedly worked in a silk mill they returned to Ct. by 1850. Thank you for your offer to help. I could offer my services for help in anything southern New England.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 3:22PM GMT
Finding very little, but finding some records.
Seems you are a little off of the dates, but his is common for years in the early 1800's.
So far am not finding any VA records of either Charles, Henry or other family members.
The earliest record is an 1860 Groton, New London CT census.
All census are of this town.

Henry S. 40 1820 ct
Jane 32 (1st wife)
Charles 12 1848-va
Sarah E 10
john 9
William 6
Ella 4
Fanny 2

Henry S 50
Virginia 42
Charles A 22 - va
John D 19
Wm A 16
Ella 14
Fanny 12
Frederick 10
Mary 7

Henry S 60 (stone cutter)
Va 51
John D 29
Ella 24
Fanny M 22
Frederick 20
Mary E 17

I did find a family tree with some info. on Henry with no documentation to back up, but will pass along.
Henry S. Gilbert b.feb 5, 1820
married 1845 petersburg va
died july 18099
parents John Cooley Gilbert and Fanny Smith
wife- Va Ann Wells

Now, the other record I found is a mortailty record for your Charles Gilbert in New Orleans LSA showing he died at the age of 32 of cancer. His occupation is listed as a laboer.

Sorry I could not find more for you so far.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 3:59PM GMT
Looked around some more and was able to find a FL death record for Charles's sister Mary E.
She is found in Miami,Dade County FL death records
she was married/.widowed .. died as Mary E. Wilkerson
died at age 62 on may 21 1928
father: henry s. gilbert of ct, mother- Mary A. Wells born in VA
her addy was 768 n.w. 11th st, miami
buried in Stonnington CT
so,, I am thinking with her being buried in ct, perhaps there is a family plot at a cem. in ct,.

btw.. on the new orleans,la death record for charles, at age 32, it shows he was born in va.

do you know anything else of charles?

If he was your ggf, and he died at age 32 in lA, i am scratching my head here for he must have had children to continue the family down to you.
would like to know more if you have info.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 7:48PM GMT
I'm sorry I should have told you I have all this info. I know every thing about the family except Henrys marriage and son Charles's birth info other than what other records tell about them. They indeed are buried in Mystic and I even had stones made for Charles and his wife. Our Charles died in NYC via a boiler explosion in 1888. The Charles Gilbert who died in La. is from another family. We know Henry and Virginia Wells married in Va. and Charles was born there 1842 went back north with his parents and are in the 1850 census of Groton(Mystic) Ct. It is just Va. Petersburg info we lack and I now believe they don't exist after 20 + years of searching. Thank you so much for your effort.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 10:05PM GMT
Perhaps knowing you had this info would have helped. Then again, perhaps\s I assumed you did not have this info. I hope you find your answers.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 11:37PM GMT
Appreciate your effort, offering my help with anything southern New England
per page

Find a board about a specific topic