Search for content in message boards

John Cody (Coady) and Clara R.

John Cody (Coady) and Clara R.

Mark Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2006 3:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cody (Coady)
Looking for information on my Granduncle, John Cody.

John was born on 28 Feb 1892 in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. He moved to Boston and married Clara R. (last name unreadable). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Re: John Cody (Coady) and Clara R.

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 9:40PM GMT
I know this is incredibly late, but my great-grandmother was Clara Rockwell who married John Cody in Somerville, Massachusetts. She divorced him sometime between 1920-1930 and during that time he became a boarder with Thomas Walsh.

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 12:56PM GMT
Thank you for the reply. Better late than never!

Do you know where John Cody was from? I am trying to find out if this John is a relative of mine.

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 3:16PM GMT
John was from Harbour Grace, Newfoundland

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 8:47PM GMT
Do you know who John's parents were?

I appreciate all your help on this. I have been searching for quite some time. My mother is a Coady from Harbour Grace so I am trying to make the connection.

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 3:51AM GMT
I know for a fact that John's father was James Cody, although I have no idea who his wife was. His contact coming to America from Canada was his uncle Thomas. From what I've researched, John's grandfather was Edward, and his great-grandfather was Timothy, all living in Harbour Grace until John and Thomas left.

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 3:53PM GMT
Wow! Finally there is a connection. I have researched John Cody for a while without making a definite connection to my family.

My great-grandparents, James Cody and Elizabeth Butler of Harbour Grace, had a son John Coady (Cody) who was born 27 Feb 1892. He seemed to have disappeared as there was no record of him in Harbour Grace and no one in the family really knew of his existence. John Cody had a few brothers and sisters, one of which was Raymond Coady, my grandfather.

I did find John Cody in the ancestry.com documentation but could never link him to my family for sure. Are you sure that this John Cody is the son of James Cody from Harbour Grace?

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 4:06PM GMT
I honestly am not sure who John Cody's parents were. I knew he had an uncle here in America as a contact for his immigration, and he also listed his father James as another contact, but I cannot find any traces of James Cody anywhere for Harbour Grace.

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 4:56PM GMT
I know John Cody's parents are James and Elizabeth. I have looked this up in the church records myself.

I would like to make sure that the John Cody you have been researching is the same John Cody I am looking for. On which document did he list Thomas and James for references? Was this his immigration or naturalization records? Are they available on ancestry.com?

Was John Cody a family member of yours?

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 2:08AM GMT
The document I have is his Border Crossing card from 1914, and it is available on Ancestry.com. Thomas's naturalization card lists his deceased wife Alice.

John Cody was my great-grandfather, and the reason we know next to nothing about him is because within ten years of marriage my great-grandmother divorced him because of his abusive tendencies.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic