Search for content in message boards

Abramson or Abrahamson in St. Croix

Abramson or Abrahamson in St. Croix

Jeannette Abrahamson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2002 3:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Mar 2003 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Abramson, Abrahamson
My grandfather on my father's side was born in St Croix went to the Dominican Republic in the late 1800's.

Any information on the Abramson or Abrahamson family in St. Croix or in the Caribbean would be appreciated.

Re: Abramson or Abrahamson in St. Croix

David (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2002 2:08AM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2003 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: Abramson, Abrahamson
FYI
There are a number of Abramson's on St. Croix especially in Fredericksted. Ann Abramsom is a business woman who owns and operates the school bus business on St. Croix. A part of the wharf on St. Croix is named in her honor. Ann was married to an Abramson; her maiden name was Christian.

There is a Dr. Cora Christian who lives on St. Croix that you may reach out for. She is a niece of Ann Abramson.

Leah (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2003 7:04PM GMT
My great-grandmother was born in 1910 in Christianstead, St. Croix. She told my mother that her mother's name was Tryphena/Tryphenia Abramson and that her father was Thomas Jefferson of St. Kitts. My great grandmother's name was Inez Agatha and she came to New York around the 20's? I am not sure but it was around that time. If this information sounds familiar, please email me at lchampen@yahoo.com or LChampen@cdc.gov. Hope this helps both of us! God bless!

Jefferson in St. Kitts

Richard Bond (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2003 1:49AM GMT
The Jefferson family in St. Kitts were brought there by U.S. President Thomas Jefferson's grandfather who was also named Thomas Jefferson. I would not call it proof but it would be reasonable to say "Our family believes we are related to Pres. Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Jefferson in St. Kitts

Leah (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2003 12:50AM GMT

Posted: 21 Jun 2003 9:41AM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson, Jeaffreson
I think that the likely answer is yes. The naming of slaves after proprietors was the less common pattern in the Caribbean in contrast with the States.
It is likely that a white Jefferson had a child with a free colored woman and wanted to let the community know that he recognized the child was his. It would require more investigation but it is well known that the President Thomas Jeffeson had relatives on St. Kitts.

http://www.pettisfree.suffolk.gov.uk/jeaffreson.html

Posted: 21 Jun 2003 9:46AM GMT
oops Pettistree with a T not Pettisfree with an F

Leah (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2003 5:09PM GMT
Thank you so much. Although this is going to be quite an exhausting investigation, being that I am researching both of my great granmothers, I feel like it might not be that bad because of all these little tips I am getting. Thank you so much for your help!

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: ABRAMSON and ALLICKS
Hello:

I too am related to an Abramson. My (paternal) great, great grandmother was Jane Elizabeth Abramson. She had a sister named Sarah ut I do not know of their parents.

Elizabeth married Joseph Johannes ALLICKS and had 2 children: Alexnader (b; 1866) and Maria (b. 1919). I believe they ALL lived and died in Christensted, St. Croix.

Does your family have any members who could have been related to anyone of my ancestors listed above?

Leslie Allicks-Hoist

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 7:57PM GMT
My grandfather was from st croix but ran away to Dominican Republic where he met my grand mother
per page

Find a board about a specific topic