Search for content in message boards

I am debating whether to purchase FTM version 2012 or Legacy version 7.5

I am debating whether to purchase FTM version 2012 or Legacy version 7.5

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 3:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am currently using FTM version 16. I have no problems with this version. However, I am planning to purchase a new computer (Windows 7) this year. I doubt FTM version 16 will be compatible with Windows 7.

I have a large family tree (over 4,000 individuals.) I have not uploaded my paternal family tree to Ancestry.com or RootsWeb.com. I do not want people to copy my research and claim it as their own. I don't mind sharing some of my research.

I have number of cousins who are researching some of the same family lines I am researching. The majority do not have subscriptions to Ancestry.com.

I believe FTM 2012 & Legacy 7.5 are similar. Except, FTM 2012 has Sync. Since I don't have a family tree posted online, I don't believe the Snyc feature will be that helpful.

I have seen some negative reveiws of FTM 2012 on Amazon.com. One in particular concerned a person who had been using FTM 16 and tried to install FTM 2012.

Judy

Re: I am debating whether to purchase FTM version 2012 or Legacy version 7.5

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 3:56AM GMT
Other than no PDF from FTM 16 it will run OK in Windows 7

Go to the past FTM knowledge base at http://pastftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pastftm.cfg/php/enduser/... and look at article 2777

FTM's big advantage over legacy Family Tree is that it can integrate to Ancestry.com and merge directly from the Ancestry databases. The issue of linking and syncing and creating only tress is a matter of personal choice

It really gets down to the feel of both programs. You can download a free version of Legacy standard version to try it and if you like it you can pay to convert it to the full version

Personally I prefer FTM but that is almost a personal opinion

John D

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 2:50PM GMT
I agree with JohnD, and have both FTM and Legacy.
I use FTM for my data, but have tried Legacy several times but I always come back to FTM.

There is a LOT of clean up that one must do when converting from FTM to Legacy and not to many of the embedded images will come across from FTM 16.

I have not had issues with FTM 2012 on any of my Windows 7 machines. But, I do not do a lot syncing and including many images in my database.

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 8:20PM GMT
With a tree as small as yours, 2012 will probably be OK but slower running than version 16. My main reason for staying with FTM is its integration of sources and related media with Ancestry.com.

There are a lot of good features in the new version of FTM but some users have not adapted well to those changes.

Regards,

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 12:05PM GMT
I use Legacy. I don't have any problems. I tried to install FTM 2010 when it was out and had problems that I could not work around. It seems that whenever I come to the FTM forum here, everybody is writing in to ask for a solution to a problem. I don't have issues with Legacy.

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 5:02PM GMT
dandj488,
Then you must not be subscribed to the two email lists that Legacy has for the users and NFS.

There are issues daily.

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 1:12AM GMT
I only use FTM2012 and do nothing with online trees. I like the way FTM2012 is laid out and have not glitches.

I use the programs as a note taking and data collection database, therefore I pop in and out as I need information or need to add information. Most of the time it is not practical to leave FTM2012 running as it may be some length of time between uses.

FTM fails miserably in using it this way. It takes over a minute sometimes as long as 90 seconds to load. So if you need to check something in FTM and it is not running, forget it, as by the time FTM is up working you will have gone on and forgotten what you wanted in FTM.

Working with Books is a coffee and doughnut event. You make a change in a report and it takes forever for FTM to update. Some reports take over 7 minutes to update, for one family from a multi family database with about 1700 people.

Window XP SP3 1gb memory dual core processor.

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 10:43PM GMT
I'm coming at this from the point-of-view of a hobbyist, and only spend a few days each month working on my tree, so take this for whatever that's worth.

I've gone through a number of software packages over the past several years, and used Legacy for several years. It was very good in many respects, but I started having issues when making adjustments to data I already had (missed sourcing many of my earliest entries, making small data adjustments). Going back to edit that information was easy enough in most cases but it was also tedious, requiring far too many clicks to get to a single field. Like I said, since that's what I'm doing in this phase of my work - massaging small data points for accuracy - I became a little disaffected.

At the same time I started to find that more and more of what research I was doing was coming from Ancestry. When I realized that FTM2012 had the ability to sync with Ancestry, I made the switch. I'm very, very pleased with it, and have had next to no issues using it on my Vista machine. The big bonus for you will be in streamlining your research tasks. If you use Ancestry for a launching-off point, FTM will be very helpful in creating to-do lists and attaching digital records to the people they're associated to. If nothing else, your annual expenditure for paper clips and hole punching will go down.

The one place where Legacy excels and FTM2012 is sorely lacking is in the realm of reports. Set aside the extra Legacy graphing module (where you can create just about any known chart in existence, and which only barely exists in FTM), the textual report options in Legacy are just far, far superior to those in FTM (unless there's something under the Publish option that I'm just missing entirely).

Shorter version: I really like them both. If Ancestry utilizes the plugin structure for new reports (or allows the creation of customized reports, or expands the customization options for existing reports, akin to what one can do in Legacy Charting Companion), a head-to-head would be a no-brainer.

Hope that helps.

Posted: 27 Mar 2012 4:17AM GMT
I have tried Legacy and Rootsmagic, and will stay with FTM I find FTM much more user friendly and I really like the new sync feature...the other programs were just to hard to use

Posted: 27 Mar 2012 9:48AM GMT
There is no substitute to trying them and finding what suits you.
Although there isn't a demo of FTM, if you are already an Ancestry subscriber or want to become one, it should be possible to buy a copy from a reseller such as Amazon which covers the entire cost of the program, or might even leave you in pocket.
The only caveat with FTM as far as I am concerned and the reason I don't use it (can't actually) is that if you have a large amount of data you are likely to have performance problems that you will probably not have with other programs. It is probably better in any event to have at least 2GB of memory and probably 4GB

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions