Search for content in message boards

BRASHER/DALY/LYLES/NELSON

BRASHER/DALY/LYLES/NELSON

Posted: 1 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jan 2004 3:48AM GMT
Surnames: Brasher, Daly, Easter, Giles, Howard, Ives, Lyles, May, Nelson, Silvey, Williams, Winters
John E. NELSON m Mary "Polly" Daley m 1815 Roane Co., TN. Seeking parents of John E. & Mary, and information on descendants who may have stayed in area when others moved West in 1868 & 1895. John & Mary's children:
1. William Dayton born 1815 Roane m Martha "Patsy" Ives; Can't find their son Franklin D. & wife Sara; son Thomas who
married Sarah (she died in KS, he returned to Roane & remarried, had several more children); daughter Mary Elizabeth who married Joseph Lyles.
2. Franklin B. who married Mary Ann "Polly" Davis and their children Lucinda J., Nancy C., James B., Martha, Thomas, Doctor A.
3. Angeline married William Silvey who was killed in Civil War. "Lost" their children Eliza, Elizabeth Ann, Mary Frances, Rhoda, Sarah Louisa, Clarissa, Melinda, Alpha.
4. Martha married Lorenzo Dow Brashears. Seek their children Samuel m Delilah May, John, William, Robert.
5. Elizabeth V. married Christopher Columbus "Lum" Howard, one known child, Tempy (?Temperance).
6. Mary "Molly" married William W. Williams. Ch Joe and Bill moved to Pittsburg Co., OK with their mother Molly who remarried Bill Gray. Was Bill Williams killed Civil War?
7. John Haywood Nelson married Nancy Elizabeth Giles. Have most of their descendants, who are scattered throughout U.S.
What happened to Nancy's brother Christopher Columbus Giles?

Posted: 24 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GILES
Nancy Elizabeth Giles born 1842-48 (conflicting census) NC m in Roane Co., TN to John Haywood Nelson. Nancy Elizabeth was the daughter of Margaret Caroline Butler b ca 1822 and James Giles. After James d 1850-1860, Margaret remarried to John McNamara. Nancy Elizabeth's sibs were: William b ca 1854 m Elizabeth Wilhoit; Margaret Hasseltine b ca 1856 m Andrew McClellan/McClanon, then Robert Campbell; "Mary" Marietta m Patrick Conoly; Columbus Eli m Mary E. Ledford; Christopher m Nancy David; Richard no more known. James Giles is believed to be the son of Crispen Giles of Burke Co., NC. Margaret Caroline Butler is believed to be the d/o of Nancy Butler, a widow on the Burke Co., NC 1850 USC. I have photos of Nancy Eliz. & John Haywood Nelson; also Columbus Eli & Mary Ledford. Would like to hear from you.
Posted: 24 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2005 1:06AM GMT
Surnames: Giles
What other info do you have on Nancy Elizabeth Giles who married John Haywood Nelson?

Elizabeth Giles b 1819

Posted: 25 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Sorry, no bells - but most of the research on this line was done by others.
Posted: 25 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2005 1:06AM GMT
Surnames: Giles
Thanks for the info. She doesn't match anyone in my line. Do you have any of James Giles's sibs marrying an Elizabeth. Or anyone marrying an Elizabeth. She was born abt 1819.
Posted: 12 May 2008 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Giles, Conley, Conoly, Clark
I am related to Mary Giles who married Patrick Conoly/Conley in 1877. I have a lot of data on the Giles of TN. Their daughter, Mary Ann (Annie)Conley, is my great grandmother and I have a picture of her. Would you like to correspond and help each other fill in some blanks?

J C Clark III

Re: Giles

Posted: 13 May 2008 3:53AM GMT
Yes! I have a copy of Patrick's pension app, which was denied because he couldn't prove his prior CSA service was "other than volunteer". It states he and Mary Giles were md in a Catholic Church [probably Roane Co area], but another researcher has not been able to find a record. I haven't researched this personally.

I'm not related to Conley/var. I do have a photo of Nancy Elizabeth Giles and her husband John Haywood Nelson, my grgrandparents.

hellomlu @ bellsouth.net - close up the spaces before emailing direct.

Re: Giles

Posted: 13 May 2008 3:58AM GMT
Sorry, but somehow didn't see your post. May have changed edresses.

I have a copy of their marriage certificate, and her photo taken est. 1894. There were two James Giles families in Roane Co. This is mine, although much information is incorrect:
1860 Roane Co. census lists:
Giles James 36 NC
Caroline age 28 NC (Margaret Caroline)
Elizabeth 9 NC (Nancy Elizabeth)
William 6 NC
Hazeltine 4 TN (Margaret Hazeltine "Maggie")
Marietta 2 TN (Mary/Marietta
Eli 11/12 TN (Columbus Eli)

Giles oops! Re Pension, Thomas McNamara

Posted: 13 May 2008 4:08AM GMT
Margaret Caroline Butler md 1st James Giles. He died, if not in the Civil War, shortly thereafter. She md 2nd to Thomas McNamara 1866 in Morgan Co, TN per his pension app. Thomas fought first for CSA, then USA. Thomas applied for a pension, which was denied because he couldn't prove his earlier CSA service was "other than voluntary". The pension was sent me by someone else, and I don't know if all the pages are there. He was a one-armed brickmason.

Most of Margaret Caroline Butler Giles' children gave affidavits in the pension. I'm making a trip to Nat'l Archives latter part of October, and will copy again to make sure I have everything.

Re: Giles - BIG OOPS RE PATRICK CONALY/VAR: No pension info

Posted: 13 May 2008 4:13AM GMT
MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE RE PATRICK CONNELLY/VARIATION HAVING A PENSION WAS TOTALLY IN ERROR. I DID NOT GO TO MY DB BEFORE REPLYING. PATRICK'S STEP-FATHER-IN-LAW THOMAS McNAMARA APPLIED FOR A USA civil war PENSION, BUT IT WAS REJECTED.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions