Search for content in message boards

HAUSWIRTH, John R. and Kunigonda (Zwahlen) Hauswirth, looking for photos.

HAUSWIRTH, John R. and Kunigonda (Zwahlen) Hauswirth, looking for photos.

Posted: 8 May 2008 8:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HAUSWIRTH, ZWAHLEN
Hello all! I am searching for photos of my g., g., g., grandparents John R. Hauswirth and Kunigonda (Zwahlen) Hauswirth.

John R Hauswirth was born Dec 28, 1829 in Saanen, Bern, Switzerland and died Dec 27, 1884 in Butte, Silver Bow Co., Montana, USA. He married Kunigonda Zwahlen 1848 in Saanen, Bern, Switzerland. She was born 1824 in Bern, Switzerland and died Jan 01 1888 in Butte, Silver Bow Co., Montana, USA.

John R Hauswirth emigrated from Saanen, Bern, Switzerland to Waukesha Co., Wisconsin, USA in 1857. He came to Montana in 1864, Alder Gulch area. He returned to Wisconsin and brought his family to German Gulch, Deer Lodge Co., MT – near Stuart in 1868. The family then moved to Butte City, Montana in 1875.

Parents of John R Hauswirth: Rudolf Hauswirth born Oct 11 1806 in Saanen, Bern, Switzerland and died Aug 10 1872 in Brookfield, Waukesha Co., Wisconsin, USA. He married Catherine Romang Nov 06 1826 in Saanen, Bern, Switzerland. She was born Jan 18 1807 in Gesteig, Bern, Switzerland and died Apr 21 1885 in Milwaukee, Milwaukee Co., Wisconsin, USA, daughter of Hans Peter Romang and Catherina Sumi.

Siblings of John R Hauswirth:
Rudolf Hauswirth b. Oct 1826 Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
Maria (Hauswirth) Baechler b. Nov 1834 Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
Christian Hauswirth b. Nov 1836 Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
Emanuel Hauswirth b. Jun 1838 Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
Magdalena Hauswirth b. Aug 1840 Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
Marianne (Hauswirth) Kuenzli b. Dec 1842 Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
Simon Hauswirth b. Dec 1844 Saanen, Bern, Switzerland

Children of John R Hauswirth and Kunigonda Zwahlen:
Catherine (Hauswirth) Fenner b. Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
John R Hauswirth Jr. b. Saanen, Bern, Switzerland
Robert Hauswirth b. Jul 1859 WI, USA
Magdalena (Hauswirth) Obertreis b. Feb 1860 WI, USA
Bertha (Hauswirth) Rowand b. Dec 1862 WI, USA
Herman Hauswirth b. Jan 1863 WI, USA

Also, I do have a few photos of other Hauswirth family members that I am more than willing to share and I am always interested in any photos of this Hauswirth family.
Thank you!

Re: HAUSWIRTH, John R. and Kunigonda (Zwahlen) Hauswirth, looking for photos.

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Hauswirth
I too an searching the HAUSWIRTH name and found the BUTTE, Montana Hauswirths. Residing only a few hundred miles from Butte, I made a trip to Butte to try and establish whether there was link of my Hauswirth family with the Butte , Montana Hauswirths.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a very good archives in Butte located in an old fire hall. I found a great deal of information of John and Simon Hauswirth as they built the first Hotel in Butte. Simon was a GAR member so I found pictures of he and his son Charles Hauswirth who become Mayor of Butte and was a very popular Mayor.

Charles Hauswirth founded a newspaper in Butte called the Eyeopener and many Hauswirth pictures were in this paper. There were over four hundred issues of this paper in the Butte archives and I would suggest you search for John's picture in these papers. Simon and Charles being so well known, there are a lot of pictures of them.

I was unhappy to find my Hauswirths were not linked to the Butte Hauswirths unless it is in Europe. I finished my search by visiting the graves of many of these Hauswirths in the Butte cemetery. I did stand at the graves of John and Kunigonda Hauswirth. Good luck in your search.

Re: Hauswirth Romang Bächler & Baechler in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: Romang Hauswirth Bächler Baechler
"... Rudolf Hauswirth born Oct 11 1806 in Saanen, Bern, Switzerland and died Aug 10 1872 in Brookfield, Waukesha Co., Wisconsin, USA. He married Catherine Romang Nov 06 1826 in Saanen, Bern, Switzerland. She was born Jan 18 1807 in Gesteig, Bern, Switzerland and died Apr 21 1885 in Milwaukee ..."

I know you're looking for photos, but there is another type of image that is not quite as rare: the Hauswirth family published death notices for Katharina Romang Hauswirth in one of the local German papers. And there are multiple notices in the German papers for Maria (Hauswirth) Bächler's family - John Bächler Jr., Rosine, a Johann Adolph Bächler; then John Sr.; and later on Maria.

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping to access our historic German-American culture.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 10:30PM GMT
I'd never thought to check German language resources, though that makes a lot sense. How would I go about checking out this index? In particular, I'd really love to add Katharina's notice to my data.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 4:11PM GMT
"I'd never thought to check German language resources, though that makes a lot sense. How would I go about checking out this index? In particular, I'd really love to add Katharina's notice to my data."

That was my thinking back in 2007 when I was wrapping up the local research for my 7 generations of 100% German-American ancestry in southeastern Wisconsin. I didn't have a single sample of my "German-American-ness" (other than local church records). Then, a handful of clippings from another researcher pointed me in the direction of the library's newspaper microfilm collection. Duh!
The index is not online, but you're welcome to contact me directly.
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic