Search for content in message boards

Orphanage on Ossington Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Orphanage on Ossington Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 28 Feb 2004 12:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Nov 2006 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Libby
I'm looking for the name (and address) of an orphanage that was located on Ossington Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada around 1900-1910. It could possibly be a Roman Catholic Orphanage, but I'm not sure. Would like to find out how I could obtain records of two children who were placed there - Frank Libby and Jack Libby (brothers), the children of Francis Libby and Margaret Cain.

Re: Orphanage on Ossington Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 28 Feb 2004 4:02PM GMT
A google search for orphanage +ossington +toronto turned up the following: http://members.rogers.com/nucleara/vocareSep02.htm
"Sister M.Agnes outlined the history of the Carmelites whose origins go back to the desert fathers in the Holy Land. They boast many famous saints throughout their history. At the invitation of Bishop Neil McNeil, in 1913 they established an orphanage in Toronto. They rescued and cared for children and the elderly. A day care center still operates at their site on Ossington Avenue."
The centre is:
Carmelite Day Nursery
108 Harrison St., Toronto
(416) 536-5313

Posted: 28 Jun 2005 12:14AM GMT
Dear Grace: Just a note to let you know that the orphanage I was looking for turned out to be the Protestant Orphan's Home on Dovercourt Road in Toronto. The records are located in the Baldwin Room, Toronto Reference Library. I was lucky to find my two orphans and the farms where they were apprenticed to. It was a wonderful experience to find all this information. Thought I should tell you.
Morell

Posted: 29 Jun 2005 10:30AM GMT

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2005 3:10AM GMT
Surnames: Protestant Children's Home
Morell, I had information regarding my father from the Family Day Care Services as he was in the home back in the early 1930's. My grandmother too was in the home around 1909. Can you tell me what records and periods of time these records hold at the Reference Library?
Thank you.

Posted: 18 Jul 2005 12:06PM GMT
I'm not sure what period of time the records for the Protestant Orphans Home cover. My relatives entered the home in September 1896 and were apprenticed in 1902 and 1904.

The people in the Baldwin Room at the Toronto Reference Library were very helpful and co-operative. It was well worth the trip to see the actual records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions