Search for content in message boards

Hillhouse, Hurt, Estes, Dardin, Pritchard, Cook

Hillhouse, Hurt, Estes, Dardin, Pritchard, Cook

Posted: 20 Mar 2007 2:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hillhouse, Hurt, Estes, Dardin, Pritchard, Cook
I am searching for anyone researching the above names.

Re: Hillhouse, Hurt, Estes, Dardin, Pritchard, Cook

Posted: 17 Nov 2010 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: Estes, Risley, Creason, Brannan, Mohney, Miller
I hope you are still watching for replies after so long - I just found your post. My father's maternal grandmother (whom I knew well) was an Estes from Marion county. Her name was Luvenia Estes Brannan (met her husband in Indian Territory, Oklahoma, married 1905). She had a sister (Sarah) and brothers. Her parents were Ephraim and Marinda (Risley) Estes. Ephraim's dad was Edward, who died in a POW camp on Johnson Island during the Civil War. Edward was the oldest son of John Estes. I'm looking for any Estes info that I can find. My dad is almost 90 and I want this for him. He's still very active and sharp as a whip and remembers things like I can't believe.

I'm also trying to find out more about the Risley family. Gram told us until she died in her 80's (late 1960s)that her mother, Marinda, was a half breed Cherokee and her grandma, Sally Miller Risley, was a full blood. We're trying to verify this. I did find the name Miller on a list for head of families that came with a Capt. Benge to Marion county with one of the last groups on the Trail of Tears (1938?). Census records are no help - people were hiding the fact that they were "Indian" and putting down "white".

My father's father, Otha Abraham Creason, Sr., was born in Oakland, Ark. (Marion county) in 1892 and he said he had a lot of Cherokee in him, too, especially his mom, Stella Mohney Creason. Stella's mother and the mother's father-in-law, Phillip Mohney, are buried in the Promised Land cemetary in Marion county (I've found them) but I'm not finding anything else on Mohney's up there. Stella ended up dying and buried in Chelsea, Indian Territory, Oklahoma in 1916 and her grave is in the Dawes Cemetary south of Chelsea (I've found that one, too). Grandpa's first wife was a Susie Beck of Chelsea, Indian Territory, Oklahoma, in 1916. She and her family are Cherokee on the Dawes Rolls and she was getting "Indian money". She and grandpa had a son who died before he was two. Grandpa's cousin, Paul Creason, married Susie's older sister, Lucy, at about the same time grandpa and Susie married. Paul and Lucy had a daughter named Louise who died just a few years ago. So cousins married Cherokee sisters. My grandma, Mary Alice Brannan Creason, was the second wife (1920). Her mom (Luvenia) was married at the time to her second husband, Jim Tanner. He had a sister who was married to grandpa's dad (after Stella died) so this is apparently how Gram knew my grandpa. His father was her brother-in-law by marriage. Gram's Estes family moved to the Nowata, Indian Territory, Oklahoma area in 1902 with a bunch of Marinda's Risley family, too (3 sisters, a brother and an uncle and his family). Her father, Ephraim, died in 1904 and is buried in Nowata (I've found him, too). This is where Gram was coming on the bus every year, to visit her Estes/Brannan/Risley/Creason family members. I wish I'd paid attention better when she was telling me things as a kid....

In the early 1970's I came to Bartlesville, Oklahoma to go to college (from Oregon) and ended up getting married there - only now have I been finding out that I was living in the middle of where my Gram used to come to visit. Nowata is not far from Bartlesville.

Until the last two weeks, I had NO idea that my dad's family had so much history in Marion county, Arkansas! Thank the Lord for the internet.... :-)

Any Estes info you can share with me would be very much appreciated. And I'll give you what I've found if you don't have it already. I hope you are still on this "group".

Posted: 17 Nov 2010 7:26PM GMT
I would suggest you check out the Marion Co AR web page argenweb/marion for information on several of your surnames.

The Marion Co AR Heritage Society members may also be of assistance.

Mysty shakerag@mtnhome.com

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: Darden, Dardin, Shepard, Cook
Hi robinhill_2001, are you still researching Dardins? I am trying to find parents of William Marion Darden (later spelled Dardin), born 22 Feb 1824 in TN (lived in Hickman Co.), died 18 Oct 1901 in Boone Co, AR. He had 3 wives and 29 children! 1) Mary Cox Warren or Warden, 2) Rachel Vertentine Shepard, 3) Amanda Jane Cook. I have his obituary and photos. Found graves on http://arkansasgravestones.org/view.php?id=121208 and Find A Grave Memorial# 34161454, buried in Everton, Boone, AR next to Amanda. Despite being in touch with other avid Darden researchers, we haven't a clue about his parents!

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 7:15AM GMT
I am still on the group. I never received a response notification. Just decided to browse. Lol. I'm not sure what help I can be but I'll try. If you have Facebook you can find me there. We have an Estes family group page but it is small still. Hope to hear from you!!

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 7:19AM GMT
He seems to come from no where!!! He is my ggg grandpa with his 3rd wife. I would love to visit with you!!!

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 7:20AM GMT
Mysty- I have found something's one there. It has been awhile since I have looked though. Thanks!!

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: Darden, Dardin
William Marion Darden is my husband's 2nd gr-grandfather with the 2nd wife, Rachel. Quite a mystery, he is. Please see your messages, thanks!

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Prichard, Doshier
Am interested in Pritchard. Alley Pritchard/Pritchett Doshier(I believe it was Pritchard because one of her sons was named Richard Prichard Doshier). Alley, b ca 1770 probably Blount Co TN, married Peter Doshier 20 Jan 1790 in Blount Co TN. Children are Margaret, Nancy Catherine, Daniel, Richard Prichard, Henry John, Wiley Peter and Adam. The first two were born in Blount Co while the next 4 were born in Knox Co TN. Not sure of the other two. Alley died in Marion Co AR in Oct 1859. I know nothing of her ancestry but have a great deal on her descendants since I descend through three of her sons: Richard Prichard, Henry and Wiley Peter. Thanks Charline Rambaud

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 5:32AM GMT
My grandma has told me we are related to the Dosiers but I haven't figured out how yet. My Prichard grandparents were Joseph and Sophia Pritchard. Joseph was born about 1842 in Kentucky. I would love to talk to you maybe we could help each other out.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions