Search for content in message boards

everybody says she died in Roswell, NM ... but I don't know why!

everybody says she died in Roswell, NM ... but I don't know why!

Posted: 1 May 2013 8:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kelsch
This post was deleted by the author on 6 Dec 2013 11:01PM GMT

Re: everybody says she died in Roswell, NM ... but I don't know why!

Posted: 2 May 2013 1:22AM GMT
Hi Amy, I have done extensive research in Roswell, New Mexico and do have an idea for you to look into. There was a TB hospital in Roswell during this time period and folks came from various places in the country hoping to be cured. I believe it was run by Catholic nuns. I am guessing that is the reason she went to Roswell and died there even though she may not have had ties there. The Historical Society for SE New Mexico has a book that covers only a year or two (if I am remembering correctly) that lists those who died of TB in that hospital. I would contact them to see if they can find anything about her there.

My grandfather's family moved from Cincinnati Ohio to Roswell in 1901 for that very reason, although they did not go into the hospital. My great grandfather on my grandmother's side also moved to Roswell for their health in 1896. Many folks went to Roswell for their health. So even if she did not have TB it is my best guess she went there only in the hopes of regaining her health.

Posted: 2 May 2013 1:29AM GMT
One more piece of information, according to the 1926 Roswell City Directory (the earliest I have at my disposal) there were at least two funeral homes: Talmage Mortuary and Tilton Funeral Home. You could Google them to see if they are still around and if not you could call current day funeral homes and ask them if they know what happened to the records of these two homes. I believe the library may have a city directory for 1911 in their locked case, or maybe even the Historical Society for SE New Mexico in Roswell. Phyllis

Posted: 5 May 2013 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Kelsch
Phyllis - I just wanted you to know, YOU WERE RIGHT!!!! Thank you so much! HSSENM found a listing for her, she died in St. Mary's Hospital from tuberculosis. Now I am working on a date discrepancy, and I'm also interested in what was involved in getting her remains transferred from Roswell to Kansas. I'm following up on your mortuary tips, too. Again, thank you. Big fat gold star for you, Phyllis! (-: Take care, Amy

Posted: 5 May 2013 8:17PM GMT
Amy, that's great! And thank you for letting me know. I find Roswell NM history so fascinating and I have done so much research on the town that I guess sooner or later it was bound to come in handy to somebody other than me. Also, The Historical Society for Southeast New Mexico is a great repository and the folks there are extremely helpful. Phyllis

Posted: 28 May 2013 10:26PM GMT
Iam so glad you found the info you needed..its such a relief when we are at a brickwall and then find the answers.. I was going to post that also for future referances that chaves county annexed around 1900 making several little counties near by! Being so if you dont find what you need check other counties near by!

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:09PM GMT
Thank you, sunnyday. That is another good idea. This has been such an interesting challenge! Take care, Amy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions