Search for content in message boards

Kornegay family info, Mount Olive, NC in Wayne County

Kornegay family info, Mount Olive, NC in Wayne County

Linda Piechota (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2006 3:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harriston, Kornegay, Darden, Connor
I am seeking information about the Kornegay family that owned a general store in the late 1890s or early 1900s in Mount Olive, NC. The man who owned this store could possibly be a relative. If you have any information about these Kornegays, please contact me. Thank you!

Re: Kornegay family info, Mount Olive, NC in Wayne County

Posted: 25 Oct 2006 2:47PM GMT
Surnames: CRADDOCK/REAVES/Darden/
I noticed the DARDEN surname in your research and am interested in info on Elizabeth Darden born abt 1832. She may have lived in Sampson CO. Seems like I have seen the Kornegay name in my research. Your Dardens of indian descent? She married abt 1855 and may have been Cherokee.

Posted: 10 Feb 2007 7:37PM GMT
Surnames: Kornegay
Hello. i was just browsing and I came across the Kornegay name. My maternal grandfather was a Kornegay whose father was from Mt. Olive,NC. I have been trying to find info on him. His full name was John Giles Kornegay and his wife my great grandmother was a Sallie S. Heath or Sallie Heath S(?). I don't know if his family was in the general store business. He did move to Portsmout, VA but he is buried in Mt.Olive according to death records. If you have any info, I would be very appreciative. Sallie

Posted: 6 May 2007 11:04AM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2008 9:16AM GMT
Linda, what is the name of the person that you're looking for? I'm currently researching my Kornegay relatives in the Wayne Co. area of NC. Maybe I can help.

Posted: 14 May 2007 8:45PM GMT
I saw your post and I too am seeking information regarding the Kornegay family. Have you come across a J.G.Kornegay or John Giles Kornegay. I am trying to determine where he is buried and who his father was.

Thank,
Sallie

Posted: 14 May 2007 8:57PM GMT
Sallie,

Sorry, I haven't come across John Giles or J.G. Kornegay in my research. What time frame are you searching for him in? Maybe I can help... If I find anything regarding him as I progress in my research I'll post it for you.

Cheryl

Posted: 17 May 2007 3:07PM GMT
Thanks for answering my query. The dates that I have are 09/17/1861 till 03/27/1931. I am having a hard time finding information on him. I know that he lived in Portsmouth, VA for years and was buried in Mt. Olive and he was married to Sallie S. Heath and they had 2 grandchildren. One of them being my grandfather.
Thank you again for responding to my query.

Posted: 18 May 2007 10:01AM GMT
If you don't have this already. I think the person you're looking for was located in Portsmouth Ward 5, Portsmouth City, Virginia in 1900 census. The family members listed are John C. Kornegay, Sallie S., John H. Kornegay, and Perry R. Kornegay. John is reflected as being born in NC in 1863. In the 1910 census Portsmouth Ward 5, VA are John G. Kornegay and the same family members. Are these the people that you're looking for? In 1920 Brogden (Wayne Co) there's a John G. Kornegay listed as the brother-in-law of Charles Spruill b. 1879 (sp. Martha) John G. is listed as widower in this census.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Posted: 18 May 2007 10:43AM GMT
It appears that John Giles Kornegay may have been the son of Caleb Foreman R. Kornegay b. 1822 and Mantha Sarah Ann Prince. They were married March 30, 1858. Caleb, or C.F.R Kornegay as he is seen in the census records, was the son of John and Catherine Price Kornegay.

Do you know the names of John's siblings?

Posted: 18 May 2007 1:41PM GMT
Here is what I have in my database from 2 census records and John worked for the railroad as a conductor:

Name: John C Kornegay
Home in 1900: Portsmouth Ward 5, Portsmouth City, Virginia
Estimated birth year: abt 1863
Birthplace: North Carolina
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Sallie S
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John C Kornegay 37
Sallie S Kornegay 30 (2 children, all living)
John H Kornegay 4
Perry R Kornegay 2
Name: John G Komegay
[John G Kornegay]
Age in 1910: 48
Estimated birth year: abt 1862
Birthplace: North Carolina
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: North Carolina
Mother's Birth Place: North Carolina
Spouse's name: Sally A
Home in 1910: Portsmouth Ward 5, Portsmouth (Independent City), Virginia
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John G Komegay 48
Sally A Komegay 40 (2 children, all living)
John H Komegay 14
Perry R Komegay 12

Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions