Search for content in message boards

Insurrection of 1730/1

Insurrection of 1730/1

Bob Allen (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Furr
In 1730/31 small tobaco farmers revolted against practices of price "fixing" of tobacco. One of the ringleaders was Thomas Furr. There were some 52 "malcontents" as the Colonial Record indicated, I am seeking the names of the others involved in this failed insurrection, and any other details beyone what is given in the Colonial Record of 1732.

insurection participants

Posted: 6 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jul 2002 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: Halley, Holley
Bob,
I would be interested in any answers you get to your
question on the names of participants in 1730/31 tobacco
insurrection. My ancestor was John Halley/Holley. There were five Halley/Holleys in Pr. Wm. Co. at that
time. Two, James and Benoni were positioned in the
area that became Faorfax Co. Henry & Thomas were
residents of PWCo. Tom probably left in 1731, since
his land was sold off in a court action overseen by
the sheriff. William Halley was a tennant farmer over
by Mt. Vernon. I would think that some of thme might
have been active in this action. I would appreciate
any feedback that you get. Thanks. Ann

Insurection

Monte Southward (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi Bob,

I see you are working on the Thomas Furr and your last name is Allen, the same as Thomas Furrs Neighbors.
Are you decendants from these families? If so what is the Furr/ Allen connection? I am decendant from Malichi Cummings
He married Thomas Furrs step daughter I believe?
Do you have anything on this? I cant help you on the insurection. This is the first I have heard about it.
Thanks MOnte

Insurrection

Posted: 6 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2001 7:46AM GMT
You may have this list of Furrs, but just in case, here is the URL. Many of these individuals are connected to or born in Prince William.

http://www.gendex.com/users/LCL4/madkat/names2.htm#FURR

malichi cummings

susan furr diaferia (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: furr

Re Prince William Ins.
My father spent a good deal of time in the 70's putting together a genealogy of the Furr name. His earliest connection was 1655. He mention a Thomas furr(son of Wm Furr) Thomas Furr had three children, two sons and a daughter, Elizabeth. He does not mention her as a step daughter. She marries a Malachi Cummings.He does not mention him again except in a will which leaves him some land.
If you have Furr info prior to 1730 or I can be of help to you contact me.

Susan (Furr) Diaferia

Elizabeth Furr m. Malachi Cummins

Posted: 9 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Furr, Cummins
Hello, I am researching my family history and have come across my ggggrandmother who is Clarisa Cummins. Down the Cummins family line is Malachi Cummins who married Elizabeth Furr. I would love to have information on her family. I know she died in Prince William, Va. Any information on who her parents are and any other family members would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance---Kathi

Elizabeth Furr

Bill Furr (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Furr, Cummings
For more on Elizabeth Furr lineage see my Furr Surname Resource Center web site at

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~furr/

Look under Virginia Furrs. Her parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Furr.

Landmarks of Old Prince William, Volume 1, Fairfax Harrison, Gateway Press, 1987, page 237, in a footnote to a discussion of the Prince William Insurrection of 1732 in which Thomas Furr was one of the ringleaders, he is identified as "one of the original Scotch-Irish settlers below Brent Town in 1823."

Prince William County, VA Will Book C, 1734-1744, pages 64-65. His will was dated 5 Nov 1734. Will lists wife Elizabeth, sons Thomas and William, and daughter Elizabeth Cummings. Shown as owing 1,072 acres in Fauquier County, VA in 1722.

Per Thelma Cummins Gamble, his land was on Elk Run where he built a plantation known as "Cherry Hill" near Bristersburg, Virginia.

Will of Thomas FURR
signed 3 Nov 1734
found in Loudoun Co., VA

Posted by Rich Furr, r_furr@yahoo.com on Thu, 11 Feb 1999

"Thomas Furr of Hamilton Parish in the County of Prince William being sick of body. Unto Malachi Cummings one hundred acres of land whereon he now lives during his life and his wifes life the said Malachi Cummings to make no waste or sale of timber only for the plantation, etc, and after the decease of them and my wife the said two hundred acres to fall to her son Thos. Unto my loving wife Elizabeth Furr all my household goods, cattle, horses, mares, hoggs, sheep that in any wise belong to me. After my wife Elizabeth's decease that plantation whereon her son Thos. lives to her heirs and case of his death to her son William. After my wife's decease the plantation whereon I now live to her son William and after the decease of my loving wife what household stuff, goods and stock there is to be equally divided between her two sons Thos. and William except one pewter dish which I leave unto her daughter Elizabeth Cummings. I desire Jonathan Gibson when he lays of his land to lay of mine with it and for what land William Allen has taken from me to get it again if possible and let the children have a part as otherwise if he does not like of it take it out of the estate. I desire that if John Lattimore is disturbed about his land and will lay it off to have it done by a sworn surveyor and chain carryers and if any be wanting to take it where his knoct off. Unto my loving wife one servant woman and an orphan boy called by the name of Thos Mcantier. It is my will that my wife have all my tobacco, debts due and whatsoever belongs to me. I do make, ordain and constitute my loving wife my executrix of this last will and testament to see it performed and furthermore I do ordain and appoint my loving friend Jonathan Gibson overseer and assistant to my wife.

Thos (X) Furr

Witt:
John Boystone 3 Nov. 1734
Ralph (RH) Hues
Thos (T) Cummings
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions