Classification: Query
Surnames: guthrie, grandon, combs, I
I am looking for any information on great-grandmother Idesta
LaVonne Guthrie. Mother's name Elizabeth White. Born in
Ryar's Station Pennsylvania. Was raised by her grandparents
She married Mr. Grandon sometime in the late 1910's to early
'20's. My grandmother is Myrle Combs who married Woodrow
Donville Combs. My father is Charles Rex Combs who was born
in Ashland, Ohio. Any help would be appreciated. Arlo Guthrie would be a great nephew.

Re: starting family tree

Posted: 21 Apr 2002 1:57PM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2002 1:25PM GMT
Debbie, My name is David Prewitt, I live in Hooks, TX, Woody Guthrie and Arlo Guthrie are my cousins. My great grandfathers name was Edgar Jones Guthrie he was born in Kentucky, he was married to Laura Andrew Grice she was born in Ellis County TX, my grandfathers name was Edgar Coleman Guthrie he was born Aug 14, 1882 in Kaufman County TX. They moved then to Red River County TX Clarksville, TX. My mothers name was Lessie Laura Guthrie borned July 20, 1912 in Red River County TX. My email address if you want to email me is ddp1244_99@yahoo.com. David Prewitt

Posted: 18 Jun 2002 6:46PM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2002 1:25PM GMT
Debbie, I am working on the Guthries family and I do have information on some of Arlo Guthries family if interested please email me at ddp1244_99@yahoo.com and I will be glad to share what I have and if you are related to Arlo and his dad Woody then we are related to. David

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 11:26PM GMT
Debbie,
Are you still searching for Idesta Guthrie or have you found what you are searching for? I have Idesa the daughter of Hannah Elizabeth White and Julian Cameron Lyon. If this is correct or not please help me if you can.
I can be reached at Queenj18301953@yahoo.com

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 5:19AM GMT
Surnames: GUTHRIE, WHITE, LYON
Idesta Lavaun WHITE was the illigitimate daughter of Hannah Elizabeth WHITE and Julian Cameron LYON. She was my grandma. Hannah later married Norman GUTHRIE and Julian married Mattie VICE. Julian and Mattie both died in Charleston, WV. Idesta was the only child Julian had. Norman GUTHRIE had two boys with Hannah WHITE, Raymand and Wylie. Freda Belle CUNNINGHAM was the wife of Raymand.

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 5:22AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: GUTHRIE, WHITE
by George W. SMITH, J.P. at his residence.
Oct. 3, 1905, At my residence in Richhill Township, Greene County, Penna. Norman GUTHRIE & Elisabeth WHITE, all of Richhill Township, Greene County, Penna., were by me united in marriage according to licence issued September 22, 1905. The number of licence being 4381. Witness: Clara SMITH pd 3.50 George W. SMITH, J.P. (Greene County, Pennsylvania Marriage Records-Book 11, Page 135)

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 5:26AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: WHITE, GUTHRIE, BEABOUT, GRANDON
OBITUARY: Mrs. Elizabeth W. GUTHRIE--After a three months illness, Mrs. Elizabeth White GUTHRIE, of Wind Ridge, who had spent most of her life at Ryerson Station, was born March 17, 1880, a daughter of the late P.J. and Margaret Moore WHITE. She was well known throughout a wide area around the section where she lived, having served as pianist at the South Wheeling Baptist Church for about 40 years and teaching the class of young people at the same church, of which she had been a lifelong member. She leaves in addition to her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Destie GRANDON, of Michigan, two sons, Wylie GUTHRIE of Mount Pleasant, Mich., and Raymond GUTHRIE of Ryerson Station; and a sister, Mrs. Edward (Mary Rebecca) BEABOUT of Washington, Pa. Seventeen grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren also survive. (SOURCE>Wayneburg Democrat Messenger, 7 February 1946)
----------
FUNERAL PROGRAM: Mrs. Elizabeth WHITE GUTHRIE, aged 65 years, wife of Norman GUTHRIE, died Wednesday afternoon, February 6, 1946, at one o'clock, at Ryerson Station, Richhill Township. She had been ill for three months. Mrs. GUTHRIE was born March 17, 1880, and was a daughter of P.J. and Margaret MOORE WHITE. She spent her entire life in Greene County. She was an active member of the South Wheeling Baptist Church. She was the church pianist for 40 years, and also taught the Young Peoples Bible class for many years. Mrs. GUTHRIE is survived by her husband; three children, Mrs. Destie GRANDON, of Michigan; Wylie GUTHRIE, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan; and Raymond GUTHRIE, Ryerson Station; one sister, Mrs. Edward BEABOUT, Washington; 17 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Obsequies for Mrs. Elizabeth White GUTHRIE
Funeral services were held Saturday, February the ninth nineteen hundred forty-six with short services at one o'clock in the Scott Funeral Home and further services at two o'clock in the South Wheeling Baptist Church
OFFICIATING CLERGYMAN
Rev. Huey GILLISPIE
SONG SELECTIONS
"Rock of Ages"
"Sometime We'll Understand"
"Nearer My God to Thee"
SINGERS
Lee RIGGS
Lucile POLEN
Margaret JACOBS
Fred POLEN
Mrs. Eugene SCHERICK
Riva HOSTUTLER
Mrs. Jessie LAZEAR, Pianist
PALLBEARERS
Arthur McCRACKEN
Hobart McCRACKEN
James WENDELL
Clyde HOSTUTLER
Ralph BALDWIN
Fred POLEN
INTERMENT
Lazear Cemetery
(SOURCE>Funeral Program of Hannah Elizabeth (WHITE) GUTHRIE, daughter of Perry Jackson and Margaret Ann (MOORE) WHITE.) She had one out of wedlock child with Julian Cameron LYON, Idesta (Destie) Lavaun WHITE, and later married Norman GUTHRIE and had Raymond and Wylie.

SINGERS
Lee RIGGS
Lucile POLEN
Margaret JACOBS
Fred POLEN
Mrs. Eugene SCHERICK
Riva HOSTUTLER
Mrs. Jessie LAZEAR, Pianist
PALLBEARERS
Arthur McCRACKEN
Hobart McCRACKEN
James WENDELL